Neil McCann: Celtic look at different level here

NEIL McCANN reckons Celtic and Rangers are not operating on the same plane ahead of Saturday's Old Firm clash.

The former Light Blues hero believes Mark Warburton will have to tinker with his tactics to try and find away to deal with Celtic's skill and speed in the final third — or pay the consequences.

McCann, who will cover the match in his role as a Sky Sports analyst, said: "We obviously had a taste in the Scottish Cup semi-final and that's whetted everyone's appetite. We've got two sides who are playing at slightly different levels at the minute. I have to say that. Celtic are playing differently and are far and away more explosive and dynamic.

"Rangers can challenge but Mark Warburton has to have the ability to change how they play.

"I do believe they have players to do that. I haven't seen it yet but I think he'll have to do it this game.

"I do remember we spoke to Mark on the pitch at Alloa. He was asked if he would have change and he said, 'no'. I'll never forget that.

"I think he has to sometimes. Sometimes have to put your hand up and think, 'if we open up against this team then we could be hurt'."

With that in mind, McCann would have no hesitation in throwing new signing Phillippe Senderos straight in for a baptism of fire

He said: "Why not? His pedigree has to come into contention.

"I looked at the goal Rangers conceded against Kilmarnock and that would worry me if I was Mark Warburton.

"Kris Boyd is not a young striker any more. His movement is still good but Rangers were exposed in a twoagainst-one situation.

"You can't do that with Leigh Griffiths or you will get punished."

Sky pundit McCann played in the famous Parkhead 'shame game' title decider in 1999 but believes football will do the talking on Saturday.

He said: "I really don't think there's a potential for fireworks "It's the first league game for a long time and you have to worry about the policing in the surrounding areas and the hype.

"But a bit of the edge has been taken off it by the two semi-finals we have had in recent years.

"It's been at a neutral ground and it's probably been easier to police but the magnitude of us going for that title in 1999 was too much for the fans to accept.

"I've never seen an atmosphere so passionate — or toxic is another word. It was quite a frightening experience.

"I don't expect the same poisonous atmosphere on Saturday."

Sky Sports will show every Old Firm derby in this season's SPFL Premiership exclusively live, and nine of Scotland's 2018 World Cup qualifying matches.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/7233250/Former-Rangers-star-Neil-McCann-Celtic-look-at-different-level-here.html

Whilst we have worries about the defence, the fact that Celtic will want to attack us, should actually help the way we play.

Celtic are the favourites but they're not as good as some people seem to think they are.

Edited by Frankie

As much good as MW has done, a change of plan B has to be up his sleeve or he wont win certain games. You cant always do Game A better.

He is a very clever man and we intrust him this Saturday.

Im getting a bit excited, just had a wee cheeky expensive lager already.

Whilst we have worries about the defence, the fact that Celtic will want to attack us, should actually help the way we play.

Celtic are the favourites but they're not as good as some people seem to think they are.

This is my one hope Frankie. Celtic will come at us and that can only help us and if we can be competitive in midfield we will stay in the game IMO. More space going forward will also give McKay/Miller/Forrester/O'Halloran the licence to use their pace and trickery more as opposed to coming up against a packed defence.

Does anyone think MW will go 3-5-2 and try to push Wallace and Tavernier up the pitch more? They could act as defenders as well as a wide attacking threat? I think if we go 4-3-2-1 we won't get much from them

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I have a great respect for McCann as a pundit. He reads the game well and articulately gets this across to the viewer. Him and Tanner combine well to cover the Sky live games. He will have seen both sides a few times already this season, so his opinion is more likely to be a balanced one than from some other pundits who are only out to make headlines.

Cant argue with what he says, we can hope Griffiths has a bad game and our defence doesnt make their usual high number of errors. I dont have a good feeling about the result in all honesty.

Who are these lightening players the tims seem to have all of a sudden? Brown? Forrest? Bitton? They have only bought Sinclair and Dhimbele in attack and Dhimbele has hardly set the ground on fire. Tierney did nothing in the semi until Law came on and let him dance around him. We hardly gave them a kick of the ball at Hampden and their midfield is the exact same. We know our defence is crap but funny enough in most big games they seem to raise their game except for cup finals.