Hanging Effigies and Sectarian Banners

Time to clamp down on the Green Brigade before Celtic's reputation is further damaged

Davie Hay

I am a great believer that before you start indulging in they did this or did that, that you make sure your own house is in order first.

So, on that front someone talk me through the process of buying blow-up dolls to take to a football match. What goes through your mind when you decide to hang effigies at a football game?

What do you think about when you are standing blowing up an inflatable doll? And where do you do it? And how do you smuggle it up to your seat? But, more pertinently, why?

It is a mindset that borders on sickness. It lacks any kind of decency and I am going to say that the vast majority of Celtic are disgusted by it. I know any fellow supporters that I have spoken to feel exactly the same.

I also think that there are a helluva lot of supporters who are fed up of watching a renegade wing of fans purport to speak for everyone who wears a green and white scarf. They don’t.

I have spoken before about the Green Brigade and the colour and noise they have brought to Celtic Park. That is all well and good but leave the political elements for elsewhere. They do not speak for everyone and they are not representative of a large – and significant – number of Celtic supporters.

I think that it is time for the club to deal with some of their antics more severely than they have done.

The banner towards the end of Saturday’s game against Rangers which read ‘know your place, Hun Scum’ was utterly unnecessary and I just don’t think there is a place or a need for it. Watching your team win 5-1 against Rangers is cause for celebration without having to cross a line. I am of the firm belief that they do not speak for the majority but rather a minority – but a minority who, if they are allowed to continue unchecked will do their utmost to besmirch the reputation of the club and a club support who have been warmly received all over the world for generations.

Celtic supporters are not like this, not in my extensive experience. And while we can talk about what they bring with the singing and the noise – Celtic fans and Celtic Park has been known and celebrated for decades for their support and the way they back their team. That reputation was there long before the Green Brigade were.

The truth is that those hellbent on using the club as a vehicle for political expressions are acting inappropriately – and in a manner that doesn’t speak for the vast majority of fans.

I saw Peter Lawwell saying that the club will not indulge in tit for tat comments about who done what, which I think is right. But I also think he will be quite right in hammering those who responsible for some of the distasteful elements we saw from the Celtic side of things.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14744345.Time_to_clamp_down_on_the_Green_Brigade_before_Celtic__39_s_reputation_is_further_damaged/

That's Davie Hay off the GB Christmas Card list.