Rangers 0 v Ross County 0 Post match Discussion

Following the disappointment of last weekend next up is Ross County at Ibrox which is as good a match as any to get back on track for a variety of reasons not least of which is that County could leapfrog us in the table if they were to pull off a win. Put that alongside the fact that Hearts lying in second are playing a tough away match at St Johnston where they could realistically be beaten a result in this match could push us back into second spot.

One unique feature is that Ross County made their first appearance in the SPL in our very first season out of it so this will be the first ever league meeting between the two clubs.

There have only ever been two prior meetings between the clubs neither of which was a league match and neither of which were at Ibrox.

Season 2000/2001 Sun 18 Feb: Ross County 2 - Rangers 3, Scottish F.A. Cup

Season 2001/2002 Wed 28 Nov: Ross County 1 - Rangers 2, Scottish League Cup

Thus Rangers and County have never before met at Ibrox in any competition.

County currently sit just 1 point behind us lying fourth in the table and this is as good a chance as any to put some early space between us and what is arguably one of the most likely sides to be top 6 at the end of the season we have met so far. That is of course aside from last weeks opposition who shall be placed in a category with Voldermort, they who must not be named.

Comparing the rest of our previous league opposition to this point with that of County throws up some interesting and perhaps encouraging statistics. County were beaten 3-1 at Dingwall by Dundee in their first match of the league season who themselves were beaten 2-1 by us at Dens park in our second league match of the season.

Then, in their most recent two games, County again faced opposition we have already played with a 1-1 draw at home to Motherwell last week and in their previous match beaten 1-0 away to Hamilton before the international break. Motherwell were of course beaten by us in both the league cup on their own patch and in the league at Ibrox while Hamilton despite being outplayed overall snatched a 1-1 draw at Ibrox on the opening day of the season.

All in all while the defence is still in a state of flux with Wilson injured and Senderos suspended after his recent sending off that may be compensated for to some degree by others such as Holt, Waghorn, perhaps Rossiter and most recently the impressive looking Windass coming into contention alongside a first outing at Ibrox for Joe Garner following a goal in his first full competitive 90 minutes for us.

It may even be argued that this match is in a sense more important to take a good result from than the last since it's crucial to begin a pattern of winning our home games consistently and convincingly. Given recent events both the players and the management team need to begin turning in the type of displays we know they are capable of and this would appear to be an ideal opportunity to do so. During a home match in which we can field a side with the qualities required to turn in an attacking display that could pin County back from the off.

So let's hope for a return of the menacing Rangers we witnessed so often last term to shake off the blues of our first defeat of the season and to bolster confidence before a visit to Pittodrie where an away win at what is expected to be a top 3 contender could put us back in the groove of where we expect Rangers to be.

Edited by pete

Thanks for that JFK but there was a third encounter, a Scottish Cup tie in Dingwall in the 1960s much postponed by weather. 0 - 2 to the Famous.

For ridiculous, unjustifiable tribal reasons I've no liking for County but Ross-shire is generally Bear country and unlike most other clubs they missed us as we stumbled up the leagues. Also they know how to beat celtic.

My late Grandfather originally hailed from Maryburgh and was a big County fan. As was his wee brother Harry who also passed away a couple of months back. IIRC, Harry and their sister Ina were both closely involved with Ross County for many years. I think Harry was groundsman for a time before moving to Muir of Ord golf club. Both he and Ina still lived in Maryburgh whilst Syd (my Grandfather) moved down to East Lothian in the late 40s/early 50s and married my Granny (who is thankfully still alive and well)!

As such I've always held a close affinity to the club and will remember all the above privately as we play our first match at Ibrox against County since they were admitted to the Scottish league proper.

Edited by Frankie

My late Grandfather originally hailed from Maryburgh and was a big County fan. As was his wee brother Harry who also passed away a couple of months back. IIRC, Harry and their sister Ina were both closely involved with Ross County for many years. I think Harry was groundsman for a time before moving to Muir of Ord golf club. Both he and Ina still lived in Maryburgh whilst Syd (my Grandfather) moved down to East Lothian and married my still living auld Granny!

As such I've always held a close affinity to the club and will remember all the above privately as we play our first match at Ibrox against County since they were admitted to the Scottish league proper.

I have probably exchanged jibes with your illustrious forebears. I repent.

How's this for Highland hospitality. Well over half a century ago at a Highland League game, the muddy and bloody visiting left half wandered into the County committee room at half time on a day of freezing rain, asked for a cup of tea and was given one. Maybe it was your auntie Ina at the kettle.

I have probably exchanged jibes with your illustrious forebears. I repent.

How's this for Highland hospitality. Well over half a century ago at a Highland League game, the muddy and bloody visiting left half wandered into the County committee room at half time on a day of freezing rain, asked for a cup of tea and was given one. Maybe it was your auntie Ina at the kettle.

Quite possibly! IIRC Ina was the bar manageress at the County Hotel in Dingwall for many years. She didn't suffer fools gladly and used language that would embarrass a soldier. You'd usually hear her before you seen her and she was an imposing presence when I was a youth!

I used to love visiting the area with my Grandparents as a young lad. The Black Isle and its surrounds are simply beautiful.

Edited by Frankie