Rangers 0 v Ross County 0 Post match Discussion

Paul Le Guen scenario? C'mon. It only becomes that if we make it into that. Let's keep faith with the manager and give him time. Warburton may not have achieved anything that that was "tangible" but in the 16 months he was manager at Brentford he took them to their highest position in 2nd League in 80 years, finishing 5th in a very competitive Championship. That is still a very admirable achievement. We need to believe in what he is doing and stick with it. Ok, there will be some hurdles over the next few months and years but what is the alternative? Lurch form one manager to another with the same myopic short termism that has crippled our club over the last 20 years. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people already calling for Walter Smith to return. If something like that happens, I'm out

I saw a topic about that elsewhere. Certainly a depressing thought.

I don't understand why people always come up with this excuse. It's flawed logic because they're his players operating under his instructions.

Nothing else to do than to lower the board's standard with another excuse-goading?

Of course, you do have the names of managers at hand who squandered as many chances as we did of late on the field of play?

Paul Le Guen scenario? C'mon. It only becomes that if we make it into that.

The similarities are there in my eyes. New footballing philosophy not often seen in Scotland but not exactly immediately effective in the top league, a pretty bad start in the league with lots of draws and a defeat to Celtic, a pretty shaky defence that isn't addressed or acknowledged, then a bust up with a top player with an ego and rumours of dressing room disharmony... It's a bit uncannily familiar.

Let's keep faith with the manager and give him time.

Pretty much what we said about Le Guen.

Warburton may not have achieved anything that that was "tangible" but in the 16 months he was manager at Brentford he took them to their highest position in 2nd League in 80 years, finishing 5th in a very competitive Championship. That is still a very admirable achievement.

It's good but not something that translates to success at Rangers where the difference between number one and two is incredible. Coming fifth and the highest the club has been allows for a lot of leeway in results and not so many must win games (which all games are at Rangers) - and he'd probably have had plaudits for being sixth and possibly seventh. It was also a one season thing, which doesn't show that what he did is repeatable.

We need to believe in what he is doing and stick with it.

We can only believe in it if it gets results. There is not much evidence that what he is doing will bring the kind of results we require. I like him but he has to improve the results dramatically. How do you know if we give him a few years that we will overtake Celtic? At the moment we have four other clubs to overtake first and a game at Pittodrie is not a place we can be confident of a win at the best of times.

Ok, there will be some hurdles over the next few months and years but what is the alternative? Lurch form one manager to another with the same myopic short termism that has crippled our club over the last 20 years. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people already calling for Walter Smith to return. If something like that happens, I'm out

Nobody is calling for Walter Smith, but maybe you're forgetting he turned Le Guen's team round in a matter of weeks and sorted the defence immediately in on transfer window. He then went on to incredible success on a modest budget.

And I don't get your reference to short-termism with regards to Walter - as far as I can see he gave a lot of youngsters a goodly amount of games compared to Warburton - including playing giving a debut to the youngest player ever to play for the club. He gave the following players from the youth academy plenty of games - McGregor, Hutton, Smith, Adam, Burke, Fleck, Wilson, Little, Wylde, Ness and K. Hutton. Compare that with Barrie McKay - and that's it.

For the long term view we have three league titles, five cups and a UEFA cup runners up place to remember...

I'm not saying that we should get rid of Warburton in the slightest quite yet, but we do need to see his methods start to work. A lot of what is happening is not a huge surprise on this forum as it's all the observations and warnings we've been discussing coming to roost. We need to at least see him acknowledging them and doing something about them.

The one difference between him and Le Guen that I can see, is that he looks like he can maybe take the pressure.

If youthink we are far superior to the sheep----you havent been smoking anything ,you have been injecting.

I'm not sure if anyone has dealt with this or not - but that statement above is entirely unbecoming of this forum. Please at least show some respect to fellow forum posters.

The similarities are there in my eyes. New footballing philosophy not often seen in Scotland but not exactly immediately effective in the top league, a pretty bad start in the league with lots of draws and a defeat to Celtic, a pretty shaky defence that isn't addressed or acknowledged, then a bust up with a top player with an ego and rumours of dressing room disharmony... It's a bit uncannily familiar.

Pretty much what we said about Le Guen.

It's good but not something that translates to success at Rangers where the difference between number one and two is incredible. Coming fifth and the highest the club has been allows for a lot of leeway in results and not so many must win games (which all games are at Rangers) - and he'd probably have had plaudits for being sixth and possibly seventh. It was also a one season thing, which doesn't show that what he did is repeatable.

We can only believe in it if it gets results. There is not much evidence that what he is doing will bring the kind of results we require. I like him but he has to improve the results dramatically. How do you know if we give him a few years that we will overtake Celtic? At the moment we have four other clubs to overtake first and a game at Pittodrie is not a place we can be confident of a win at the best of times.

Nobody is calling for Walter Smith, but maybe you're forgetting he turned Le Guen's team round in a matter of weeks and sorted the defence immediately in on transfer window. He then went on to incredible success on a modest budget.

And I don't get your reference to short-termism with regards to Walter - as far as I can see he gave a lot of youngsters a goodly amount of games compared to Warburton - including playing giving a debut to the youngest player ever to play for the club. He gave the following players from the youth academy plenty of games - McGregor, Hutton, Smith, Adam, Burke, Fleck, Wilson, Little, Wylde, Ness and K. Hutton. Compare that with Barrie McKay - and that's it.

For the long term view we have three league titles, five cups and a UEFA cup runners up place to remember...

I'm not saying that we should get rid of Warburton in the slightest quite yet, but we do need to see his methods start to work. A lot of what is happening is not a huge surprise on this forum as it's all the observations and warnings we've been discussing coming to roost. We need to at least see him acknowledging them and doing something about them.

The one difference between him and Le Guen that I can see, is that he looks like he can maybe take the pressure.

Fair comments Calscot but I feel the big difference is that we have already seem massive progress under MW in one season. He has created a good ethos and unity with the players and now there's seems to be a trouble due to one player. PLG's situation was somewhat different as it was his first season and there was little unity from day one by all accounts. I think that's why we all have to calm down and not get sucked into the nonsense coming from the press. They will run with this until they have blood so let's keep level heads. We are moving forward under MW and I for one don't want us lose focus due to one incident

Doom and gloom,without backing it up?

Just incase you havent noticed ,we are a team that cant buy a win at the minute---barely a goal.

Yet we head to pittodrie with a 433 looking for a win?No wonder its doom and gloom.

Struggle to score,struggle to keep a clean sheet.

As Denis Norden said----Itll be alright on the night---or afternoon in this case.

Do i think we will lose----Yes,i think we will.In what way do you think we will be successful?

Remember this,folks are entitled to their opinion.Im sorry if you disagree with mine,thats your problem.

Yet when someone actually does disagree with your opinion you have been letting the expletives flow.

I suggest you take a look at the forum rules and come back to this when you are ready to treat your fellow forum members with a modicum of respect.

Read the posts----i never started that and jfk had his imput to that effect as well.

Get your facts right.

Do you not think im hoping things change?If you have got something on your mind about me ,say so now.

the fact is that colinstein suggested JFK was "smoking"

JFK retorted with I will have a few pints of what you are drinking.

At which point were you actually involved in that mild jabbing ? You weren't, not one bit.

But your retort was, IMHO, despicable - whilst it may be in jest I just cant get my head round suggesting someone is "injecting".

Not only that but when you were corrected that JFK hadn't started the whole "smoking", "drinking". "injecting" nonsense - not only did you not accept that you were completely incorrect as to who had initiated the whole thing you actually made an attempt to re-write it so as to make it look like JFK has started it.

Those are the facts. If you care to dispute them then I suggest you take a moment to actually look at the posts in question.

Again, the suggestion of someone "injecting" is unbecoming of this forum.

Fair comments Calscot but I feel the big difference is that we have already seem massive progress under MW in one season. He has created a good ethos and unity with the players and now there's seems to be a trouble due to one player. PLG's situation was somewhat different as it was his first season and there was little unity from day one by all accounts. I think that's why we all have to calm down and not get sucked into the nonsense coming from the press. They will run with this until they have blood so let's keep level heads. We are moving forward under MW and I for one don't want us lose focus due to one incident

I pretty much agree with you but then I put "delayed" in to reflect that.. :)

I think the problem people are having is that the "progress" has been in the second tier after some horrendous club management and a series of managers who weren't up to the task.

We've had a relatively easy season to get up to speed but the real starting gun was the beginning of this season and the start we've had has been the poorest in the top tier since Le Guen IIRC.

I don't think we're being sucked in by the press, the results themselves are causing a lot of doubts and nervousness. I don't think we're seem to be moving forward any more, and have at best, stalled.

The last thing we needed was the Barton situation, and need Warburton to be a bit of a Winston Wolf... :)

I would say that Warburton's record against those we have played from the top 14 Scottish sides (outwith us) has been incredibly underwhelming so far.

In the EC he did well but failed to actually achieve anything tangible - ie promotion. In Scotland, he again did quite well in the Scottish Cup but without achieving anything tangible ie winning the cup.

Winning the SC is ok but expected, but the results strongly suggest he would have finished second to a much cheaper Hearts team the previous season. Winning the Petrofac is more about avoiding the embarrassment of not winning it (something we suffered a few times), but no indication of managerial skill.

At Rangers we need a manager who does more than have a good run in the competitions that count, before falling at the final hurdle.

Tommy Burns is hardly a legendary for managing Celtic - in fact they gave more respect to a bit part, former player.

Warburton talks a good game which gives us a lot of hope and promise, and his teams can play in a nice way, but results-wise he's now struggling to be scraping a pass - when it really should be a pass with a distinction.

He really has to do better and soon. It's starting to feel like a delayed Paul Le Guen scenario.

You took a pasting the last time you posted this nonsense about finishing behind hearts.

I'm amazed you haven't learned.