Daily Record Apology

Club 1872 recently held a poll of members asking if Rangers fans should buy the Daily Record newspaper following its grossly inaccurate coverage on Rangers fans in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup Final. The result of that poll was that 94% of members felt that Rangers fans should not buy the Daily Record.

Following that poll, and the very strong direct representations of both Rangers and Club 1872, the Daily Record editor, Murray Foote, has now issued an apology regarding this matter.

It is a central pillar of Club 1872 to defend our support in a measured and effective manner and we are pleased to have been able to fulfil that role during this controversial episode. This shows what can be achieved when all parties with Rangers’ best interests at heart work together to challenge unfair and misleading media coverage of our club and its fans.

The following statement is being issued by Rangers at the same time as it appears on the Club 1872 website and we are pleased that a long overdue apology has now been made by the Daily Record.

“After having challenged the Daily Record over the veracity of their story ‘Cops: Mob Rule Outside Hampden Blocked Us From Getting In to Help’ (published on May 26, 2016) Rangers have received an apology from the newspaper’s editor.

The Daily Record was hauled over the coals by the newspaper industry watchdog, the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO,) who were scathing in their criticisms of the methods used by the paper.

IPSO ruled the Daily Record failed to corroborate the information they claim they were given via an anonymous email and also found them to be guilty of presenting a ‘significantly misleading impression.’ The Daily Record also failed to ‘demonstrate the accuracy of the serious allegations set out in the article.’

IPSO also stated: ‘In circumstances where Rangers supporters were accused of violence towards police, and other anti-social behaviour, the attempts it had made to support the account of an unidentified source it had been unable to verify were not sufficient to demonstrate that care had been taken over the accuracy of the article.’

Rangers and Club 1872 challenged the paper and in a letter to Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson, the editor of the Daily Record admitted the report printed in the edition of May 26 surrounding events in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup final ‘should not have been published.’

The editor also wrote: ‘In this instance the paper failed to maintain the requisite standards. It was a collective failing for which I apologise unreservedly.’”

http://club1872.co.uk/news/daily-record-apology-2/

At what stage can you start converting this catalogue lies into a legal case? Apologies are pointless as the stories are already out and have caused the damage they set out to create.

Oh and who were the 6% that would still buy the Record?

Tims infiltrating the poll, clearly. However for all those that say they want to ban the Record, there are still far too many Rangers fans, or friends of Rangers fans, that keep this filth alive. It is not only your duty as a Rangers fan to not buy this, dont click on their website, dont phone in their hotline, etc, it is also your duty to educate anyone you know that still buys this paper. I personally have hounded many friends on their choice of paper, with some success and some failure - but I will keep working on those who "like it for the racing" or "i get it delivered and its too much hassle to cancel" or "it has a go at them too" or "the other papers are just the same" until every single person I know has stopped financing this bigoted publication.

Credit to Club 1872 and Rangers for helping force this issue but given the timeline and the position of the bigoted journalist involved, I won't be buying the Record again any time soon.

Recent media coverage of our club has been beyond the pale. Completely unacceptable.

All very good, but will the Record sack that liar and sectarian bigot Jane Hamilton though? Only her sacking will show that the Record are sincere in their apology.

This is the very real point. Was she disciplined? Given an official written warning? Suspended, downgraded or sacked? I'm guessing none of the above, and that she simply got a "dont be so stupid next time you have a go at them".

It makes the apology just as sincere as most of the articles they write in the paper.

At what stage can you start converting this catalogue lies into a legal case? Apologies are pointless as the stories are already out and have caused the damage they set out to create.

Oh and who were the 6% that would still buy the Record?

If only 6% bought the Record.

Tims infiltrating the poll, clearly. However for all those that say they want to ban the Record, there are still far too many Rangers fans, or friends of Rangers fans, that keep this filth alive. It is not only your duty as a Rangers fan to not buy this, dont click on their website, dont phone in their hotline, etc, it is also your duty to educate anyone you know that still buys this paper. I personally have hounded many friends on their choice of paper, with some success and some failure - but I will keep working on those who "like it for the racing" or "i get it delivered and its too much hassle to cancel" or "it has a go at them too" or "the other papers are just the same" until every single person I know has stopped financing this bigoted publication.

The thing is how will we know what they're saying if no one looks?