If YOU were Mark Warburton

I grew up on the black isle - way north. There was no protestant/catholic pressure up there. I chose Rangers at a young age because they were exciting and that was that. It's massively different to then live and Glasgow and support Rangers.

I'm also not your supposed typical Rangers fan - I'm female, left-wing minded, have a distate for religion and really not interested in seeing the monarchy continue. And yet, I've never felt unwelcome - forced to defend my views, absolutely!

I will admit to rolling my eyes when I see all the talk of Protestantism, loyalism & unionism, but I can also understand I didn't grow up in Glasgow. If we really want to be seen as inclusive, I agree we should absolutely celebrate the differences.

A lot of them do. It is not hard to look around Ceptic park and see what country they favour. Even if they do still have "feelings" for their twice-removed roots, then why continue to peddle another nationality? When they go to Europe, you won't see a Scottish flag, you'll see an Irish Republic one. I've spoke to many foreigners and they find it completely bamboozling.

It is through this nonsense that the rest of the hatred follows - it is a passed down psyche of segregation - even though you have lived in this country for generations, you are still different from them because your 1/16th Irish which apparently overrides your Scottish not to mention your British heritage.

I'm sure there is a faction that thrives on the hatred business but c'mon mate. Who cares if there are fans that are fond of Ireland and want to fly the Irish flag. It is quite integral to their founding so why do we care? I find this absurd fear of all things "Ireland" utterly baffling. I think it's utterly disrespectful to ask people of any heritage to somehow downsize the importance it has in their lives because they have moved to another country.

And with regards to Scottish flags at CP, there's not many on show at Ibrox these days tbh.

Absolutely - I think everyone should be welcome at Rangers. When some (small minority) hit out with anyone-Catholic stuff, then I shudder. At the same time, I don't think there should be any reason to shirk away from the fact that there is a large Protestant following / history at the club - and that can be celebrated without singing any nasty songs. And again, at the same time, I think it would be good if we were to publicise our all-inclusive nature that the vast majority of us support rather than the knuckle-drafters that the press try and portray.

I grew up on the black isle - way north. There was no protestant/catholic pressure up there. I chose Rangers at a young age because they were exciting and that was that. It's massively different to then live and Glasgow and support Rangers.

I'm also not your supposed typical Rangers fan - I'm female, left-wing minded, have a distate for religion and really not interested in seeing the monarchy continue. And yet, I've never felt unwelcome - forced to defend my views, absolutely!

I will admit to rolling my eyes when I see all the talk of Protestantism, loyalism & unionism, but I can also understand I didn't grow up in Glasgow. If we really want to be seen as inclusive, I agree we should absolutely celebrate the differences.

Great post. I think you'll find that are more non-traditional Rangers fan you think. I'll end with a small postscript. In my own circle of friends/family there was much debate during the Indy referendum and it turned out that 80% of the Gers fans were pro-Independence and all the Celtic fans were against Independence ie. Having Unionist tendencies. Make of that what you will

Great post. I think you'll find that are more non-traditional Rangers fan you think. I'll end with a small postscript. In my own circle of friends/family there was much debate during the Indy referendum and it turned out that 80% of the Gers fans were pro-Independence and all the Celtic fans were against Independence ie. Having Unionist tendencies. Make of that what you will

It is certainly not a black-white divide as my B-in-L is a Celtic season ticket holder and indeed catholic but he also voted against independence.

[

I firmly believe that we've missed a trick as a club and a support. We should be hailing from the roof tops about how diverse our support really is, we should be engaging with community groups in Govanhill, Castlemilk and beyond with large multicultural demographics and forcing the political class to take notice.

I stood on the club deck concourse at the Ross County game and saw Sikh, Chinese, Black, White and Eastern European fans either outside on Edmiston Drive or inside the stadium wearing scarves etc without a care in the world and certainly not deterred from the club by the attempts of some to paint us as intolerant xenophobes. By downplaying or keeping stoic about the positive side of our club and support we play right into the hands of the REAL intolerant groups shaping the debate.

Exactly. I remember when he had a young centre back (Jaz Jutla?) who was of Indian origin I think. Shame he didn't make it.

Edited by alexscottislegend

I'm sure there is a faction that thrives on the hatred business but c'mon mate. Who cares if there are fans that are fond of Ireland and want to fly the Irish flag. It is quite integral to their founding so why do we care? I find this absurd fear of all things "Ireland" utterly baffling. I think it's utterly disrespectful to ask people of any heritage to somehow downsize the importance it has in their lives because they have moved to another country.

And with regards to Scottish flags at CP, there's not many on show at Ibrox these days tbh.

It's not a fear, it is just an annoyance.

Imagine there was a team of 3rd / 4th generation Arab supporters who constantly put up banners against the country they were in, flew the flag of a country that worked against them in times of war, had banners against British troops, banners to "kill all Christians" and flew ISIS flags. People would be outraged.

It's not a fear, it is just an annoyance.

Imagine there was a team of 3rd / 4th generation Arab supporters who constantly put up banners against the country they were in, flew the flag of a country that worked against them in times of war, had banners against British troops, banners to "kill all Christians" and flew ISIS flags. People would be outraged.

And so they should be but with the analogy above I presume you are referring to the GB? I think there is a big difference between the Green Brigade crowd and your average Celtic fan that flies a basic Irish flag/colours due to their heritage. All the Celtic fans I know regard the GB as publicity seeking loon balls and detest what they do in the name of Celtic.

Anyhoo...I'm on a Rangers forum defending Celtic fans for goodness sakes. Let's get back to talking about the Gers and 3 huge points against the mighty Thistle. Oh how times have changed...