How much for Garner?

I dont think his style of play suits the way we play. I recall one or two occasions he actually won a long ball up top and no-one ran in behind. He never made runs in behind that i can remember. Easy for Aberdeen to defend when you only have 1 striker.

Kenny Miller had an almost instant impact in the game because he was making runs in behind and stretching the Aberdeen back 4. Garner just doesnt play that way. I see him as a more Boyd or Ally type forward which i struggle to see how that will work for us. I would expect if he was playing to go to a 4-4-2 rather than the 4-2-3-1 we normally play.

There was a definite clamor for a penalty box striker, and you're right, Garner fits that description. For his style of play to work with us, we need Warburton to vary up the tactics. That goes for one or two others, so there is the scope to vary things if we get everyone fit. The "plan A better" approach needs to change if he's going to get the best out of this squad. It's certainly not Garner's fault he's not settled quickly, being asked to do something he's not used to doing.

To accommodate Garner we'll need to change to playing two up front thro' the middle in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.It's clear he needs someone beside him thro' the middle

At present we're playing 4-3-3 ( 4-3-2-1) with 2 in wide areas up front. It simply isnt working & needs to change

Edited by RANGERRAB

I have seen PNE fans say that Garner is a 'confidence player' and that once he starts netting he will proceed from there to score more. He should have got a header in the net on Saturday but it has to be said that anyone playing up against him is going to know they have been in a game. I can't argue with his determination but he may be a red card liability at times. He's wild.

I'd say he's been in the games more than he was his first for us. He also reminds me of Harry a bit - so desperate to prove himself and get that goal. Once it happens, he'll settle down. I do kinda like his fieriness I have to say.

Too early for me to say, but the lad needs a goal to see if it will settle him down. I did think when we signed him, other parts of the team needed strengthening more than up front.

£1.5m is a fortune for us, but in England it buys the likes of Garner, surely we have some contacts abroad.

Too early for me to say, but the lad needs a goal to see if it will settle him down. I did think when we signed him, other parts of the team needed strengthening more than up front.

£1.5m is a fortune for us, but in England it buys the likes of Garner, surely we have some contacts abroad.

For me, the money should have gone on someone abroad who could potentially be sold on for a lot more. Signing mediocre players from the lower divisions in England isn't good enough.

Either way, I see little value for money there. Celtic got Hooper for not much more and he was performing to a much higher level in the same English division.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

So far, he has been a bit part player only, with 4 matches for us thus far (avg. 76 mins). With ever changing people to his side. He's back-up for Waghorn as a central striker and the main striker should Waggy go to the right. Could well be that we try a double-striker 4-4-2 in weeks to come to see how that works.

I think the reaction to Garner and any new player is very symptomatic of how modern football is viewed in general. Form has now become 3/4 games (good and bad) instead of a full/half season and if you don't hit the ground running you are under pressure from fans. Alternatively, you score a few goals in a few games and the immediate reaction is 1. Get the player on a new contract with mega bucks. 2. Get the player in the International squad. (Adnan Januzaj anyone?). Football has lost the plot IMO

Give Garner time. He's come into a team that's off form and trying to find it's way. He needs games and more importantly goals. Only then we can see if he is right fit. Patience please.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops