The Resting Place of James Henderson. Help Required !

Saturday 15th October Cathcart Cemetery 12pm.

Last year ,and again earlier this year, we put out an appeal for help to clear the final resting places of William Dunlop at Cathcart and Sam Ricketts at Craigton which was supported in great numbers by our fellow Bears.

We again need you help to clear the jungle which has grown around the final resting place of James Henderson at Cathcart Cemetery.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

If you can attend please send a private message or email us at thegallantpioneers@gmail.com or ring 0790 2855536

2q0qfm8.jpg

2iu3rm1.jpg

16a4bia.jpg

James Henderson.

President 1898 - 1899

Chairman 1899 – 1912

When James Henderson died after a short illness on 10 May, 1912, the loss was not only felt by Rangers Football Club.

Like so many others who took the office of chairman of Rangers, Mr Henderson served his city as well.

He represented Kingston Ward, entering Glasgow Town Council in 1903. He rose to Senior Magistrate and was made a Baillie in 1907. He was most fondly remembered for the work he did for the welfare of poor children, serving as chairman of the Children’s Committee of Govan Parish Council. James Henderson was also a Justice of the Peace.

James Henderson’s working life began, remarkably, as a fourteen year old taxi driver. By his mid-twenties, he had set up his own taxi company at Paisley Road Toll,( it is now the Grand Old Opry building). Such was the success of the business, it became a limited company in 1897, with its founder as managing director.

It is clear not a minute of a day was wasted in the life of James Henderson.

Despite running a successful business and being committed to serving his city, he also found time to become a highly respected football administrator.

Having been vice-president to J R Gow in 1896-1897 and 1897-98, James Henderson became president of Rangers Football Club in that most wonderful of seasons, 1898-99. That, of course, was the year the record of winning every league game played was set.

At the end of 1898-99, the bold step of Rangers Football Club becoming Rangers Football Club Limited was taken.

President Henderson became Chairman Henderson at the first board meeting of the new company on 1 June, 1899.

A lover of athletics as well as football, James Henderson was a believer in keeping all sport “clean”. He served as president of the Scottish League and the International League Board. He was also one of the oldest members of Queen’s Park.

I'm going. giving a little bit back for those who gave so much to the club we all love.

I'm trying to bring my son along also.

It's a rewarding experience, after having done a couple before (William Dunlop and Sam Ricketts).

look forward to sharing a beer or two with you and Gordon.:drink:

I'm going. giving a little bit back for those who gave so much to the club we all love.

I'm trying to bring my son along also.

It's a rewarding experience, after having done a couple before (William Dunlop and Sam Ricketts).

look forward to sharing a beer or two with you and Gordon.:drink:

Thanks again mate. See you on Saturday.