Joey Barton - Is there a way back?

Better players than Barton have not settled in right away or for a long time when the come to Rangers.

I think once he gets fully fit he could be a big player for us. I am not going to have a go at him after a few games, same as any other new player who has not settled in right away.

I hope he comes back and does more of his talking on the pitch rather than off it and shows us the good player he is.

I think the difference with Barton than pretty much any other player, is his suspension by the club...

I think the difference with Barton than pretty much any other player, is his suspension by the club...

From what I've been reading and heard from other fans on here and elsewhere it's not just the suspension, it seems to me that as he has also not played very well, and we got beat heavily by them he is being made a scapegoat, that is just my opinion though.

PS I don't think people are having a go at him, just generally not impressed with his attitude.

Different managers handle players differently, maybe if he had Souness as a boss he would've got a right hook like he did to some and that would've been the end of it :)

As far as i'm aware the players have no issue with him judging by reports that even Halliday who was allegedly the other player involved in this spat has brushed it off as one of those things that happens in training almost daily. Apparently it's the manager who has taken issue with Barton obviously over something he said.

Given the length of the suspension I don't think the manger could make it any clearer to him who is in charge and when you consider Joey's seemingly big head regarding his own ability if he had something to prove before he has even more to prove now. So if Barton is as driven and determined a character as we're led to believe he is in some ways this may turn out to have been a blessing to get him in line and desperate to prove his worth.

The team has arguably improved the performance level in his absence with Barton reportedly saying he wants to get back into it so all things combined he's going to have to work very hard to do so and will be aware that if he does get back in then he's going to have to turn in some top notch displays to put this behind him.

We know he's a top quality player who didn't suddenly turn bad and we know how long it has taken Niko Kranjcar to start turning in a performance worthy of his experience and reputation so I hope this proves to be a turning point for Barton. If he can get fit and feels dirven to prove himself which surely he must after all his boasting this could be like getting a new top notch player into the mix at a time when we appear to be on the verge of stringing together some displays of the type we have become used to under Warburton.

I hope he gets his head down and works his arse off to get back into the team given that he has to be paid regardless of whether he's palying or sitting on a bench at some reserve match. Even while not playing well in many matches we're still comfortably in touch with the top 3 and the real crunch period will probably come follwoing the Winter break by which time Barton will be as fit as he's going to get.

All things considered I hope he has decided to work his arse off to get back into the team and prove his point. And surely he's professional enough not to have spent these past weeks just sitting around tweeting and watching the golf.

I dont think he'll be back.

Halliday & Holt have now re-established themselves in the starting XI. And if Krancjar can build on Saturday's performance he'd have company warming the bench or sitting in the stand from the likes of Forrester, Windass, Crooks & Rossiter

But I can't see him hanging around if he's not playing so I'd expect him to move on sooner or later.

I heard, via parents of a lad currently on the books, that a youth player, training with the 1st team, nutmegged Joey B; twice; shouting " 'megs ". As we know, a young guy ,

if he has the talent, and the attitude, is going to do stuff like that. JB took significant exception, however, and, as they say, halved him with a tackle.

Andy Halliday, at that point, got involved, and had a severe difference of opinion with Barton. Coaching staff intervened.

Barton was sent to the dressing room.

Next day, Warburton saw JB in his office. Words were exchanged. Strong words. Very strong words. Opinions were offered. Strong opinions. Very strong opinions.

MW took exception, and suspended him.

If this is accurate, then it seems clear that matters got significantly out of hand; 3 weeks is a long period of suspension, and a long cooling off period.

I do not know if time will heal, or merely entrench differences. Barton it seems to me has always been a rancorous bastard, so I am not optimistic that

he will reappear in the team, suitably chastened, even if Management is prepared to countenance this.

On the other hand, maybe the blow up has cleared the air, and the frustrations.

In any event he will be unfit, and will need weeks to get up to speed. But really, can he screw the nut?

Edited by Uilleam

PS I don't think people are having a go at him, just generally not impressed with his attitude.

Not sure I completely agree with that. On the whole possibly - but there are plenty who are saying "didn't want him even before he actually signed" - surely that isn't something that can be put down to being unimpressed with his attitude, unless talking about his "previous".