Vanguard Bears Rangers fan unmasked as Scottish Cup Final pitch invader wanted...

...by police.

OFFICERS are keen to speak to Gary Lenaghan, who acted as a spokesman for the supporters' group, over the disorder at the final between Rangers and Hibs in May.

JS101362341.jpg

A HIGH-PROFILE Rangers fan has been unmasked as one of the Hampden pitch invaders wanted by police.

Officers are keen to speak with Gary Lenaghan, who has acted as a spokesman for the Vanguard Bears supporters’ group, over the disorder at the Scottish Cup Final in May.

We asked him if he was a prominent member of the Vanguard Bears. He denied it.

Leneghan, 55, has been widely named on social media as one of 14 men whose pictures were released by police at the weekend.

Seventy-six people have already been arrested in connection with disorder at the final between Rangers and Hibs in May.

Lenaghan, from Belfast’s tough Shankill district, has been heavily involved in campaigns involving Rangers.

He has appeared on television and radio, and has been photographed with manager Mark Warburton, club legend Michael Mols and Northern Ireland first minister Arlene Foster.

When we spoke to taxi driver Lenaghan about the police appeal, he said: “I honestly don’t know. I’ve had phone calls about it all morning.

“I have an appointment with a solicitor to find out what it’s about – or if it is even me. I can’t speak about it. It’s a live case.”

Asked if he was a prominent member of the Vanguard Bears, Lenaghan said: “Someone else has mentioned that, but

no. I am a prominent community worker in Belfast.

“I’ve absolutely no comment to make until I speak with a legal representative.”

In 2012, Lenaghan and fellow Vanguard Bears member Tommy Mathers spoke about the group to the Shankill Mirror in Belfast. Leneghan said: “We are very active in defending the views of the PUL [Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist] communities in both Ulster and Scotland.

“Vanguard Bears are a proactive group set up to defend the traditions of Rangers, along with all aspects of traditions within the PUL community, including the right to remain British.”

Anyone who can help trace any of the wanted fans should call police on 0141 532 5457 or email Scottishcupfinal-pitchinvasion@scotland.pnn.police.u.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/vanguard-bears-rangers-fan-unmasked-8974221

So, in essence, they don't know whether it is actually him ... but he has been unmasked!

I would take it that the police probably won't tell the DR any names of a "live case" if they have never even spoken to him, but who told the DR that it is him?

Edited by der Berliner

So, in essence, they don't know whether it is actually him ... but he has been unmasked!

I would take it that the police probably won't tell the DR any names of a "live case" if they have never even spoken to him, but who told the DR that it is him?

Well he made a pretty stupid statement saying" “I have an appointment with a solicitor to find out what it’s about – or if it is even me. . My statement would have been it can't be me I wasn't on the pitch it must be someone with a resemblance of me.

In 2012, Lenaghan and fellow Vanguard Bears member Tommy Mathers spoke about the group to the Shankill Mirror in Belfast. Leneghan said: “We are very active in defending the views of the PUL [Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist] communities in both Ulster and Scotland.

“Vanguard Bears are a proactive group set up to defend the traditions of Rangers, along with all aspects of traditions within the PUL community, including the right to remain British"

Fair enough if that's what you're into but I don't agree with them using the name of Rangers as a vehicle for their political beliefs.

The Daily Rhebels choice of words could have legal ramifications that may well benefit this guy.

The Daily Rhebels choice of words could have legal ramifications that may well benefit this guy.

I don't think so coop. He hasn't been charged with anything so his case as far as I'm aware, isn't "live". Also, reading the DR article I don't see anything which would affect his trial if it happens in the future.

As to who told the DR - there are thousands of them, all no doubt wearing green and grey while hammering out their bile to the internet.

Lifted from FF:

Grandmaster_Suck

Grandmaster_Suck is offline The cat wot sat on the mat

06-03-2005

The Disco Inferno

Default Re: Record and this Hampden pitch invasion stuff

The Huddleboard stuck him in - they had a thread about VB going from March which hadn't been updated for months then yesterday teatime one of them posted up the pictures and gave an ID.

As with lots of issues the Tims play the rebel but love running to the authorities.

Well he made a pretty stupid statement saying" “I have an appointment with a solicitor to find out what it’s about – or if it is even me. . My statement would have been it can't be me I wasn't on the pitch it must be someone with a resemblance of me.

EXACTLY pete. It looks fairly clear that he WAS on the pitch - if he weren't then he would have said something like "It can't be me as I was never on the pitch" - and I am pretty sure that any fan at Hampden that day would know whether they were on the pitch or not.

That said, every single person deserves the right to be innocent until proven guilty.

I don't think so coop. He hasn't been charged with anything so his case as far as I'm aware, isn't "live". Also, reading the DR article I don't see anything which would affect his trial if it happens in the future.

As to who told the DR - there are thousands of them, all no doubt wearing green and grey while hammering out their bile to the internet.

Does it really matter who stuck him in? If he was on the pitch causing bother he deserves all he gets IMO.