New plea for Old Firm game to be moved

PUB and club trade bosses will today meet football chiefs as the campaign to have the Hogmanay Old Firm fixture moved.

As part of the Bells not Brawls campaign, Neil Doncaster, head of the SPFL, has agreed to meet with Paul Waterson, Chief Executive of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association, Donald MacLeod, convenor of the Licensing Forum and Stuart Patrick, Chief Executive of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce.

The licence trade chiefs and business boss is keen to discuss their concerns about the scheduling of the match.

Mr Waterson hopes tomorrow meeting will result in a date change for the match.

He said: “Any Rangers v Celtic game puts extra pressure not only on our members, but also on other businesses, rank and file police officers, accident and emergency services, transport services and others.

"By having the game on Hogmanay the potential for alcohol misuse, serious social disorder, and domestic abuse is heightened significantly. We will be asking that the game is moved to a more appropriate date.”

While Donald MacLeod is urging the SPFL to listen favourably to their concerns.

He said: “I have said before and will say it again that it is complete madness to have this volatile fixture played on Hogmanay, a day which most of the general public regard as a holiday and a family day of celebration. As a football fan I do not want to see the Old Firm matches red-carded, no way but I do want those in charge of fixture planning to be held more responsible for their decision making and the unwanted trouble that such a match brings to our doors after the final whistle is blown.”

Former Scottish Football Association chief Gordon Smith, also backs a switch.

He said: "I’m very worried that the fans of both teams will struggle to get home that day given the very limited public transport and shortening of services that will be available on the day.”

Lisini Pub Company founder Harry Hood and ex Celtic player said it was a "crazy decision."

A petition to have the match moved to a more sensible date is running at https://goo.gl/TiVEWL with more than 500 signatures.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14822712.New_plea_for_Old_Firm_game_to_be_moved/

I hope this is not moved as I've already got my train ticket.

It's a bit late for Gordon Smith to realise that public transport will be reduced. This was obviously the case from the start when the SPFL were happy for it to go ahead. The police have not requested a change so they seem OK with dealing with any fallout.

If the SPFL agree to a change, think of the message that sends out.

"By having the game on Hogmanay the potential for alcohol misuse, serious social disorder, and domestic abuse is heightened significantly.

I definitely don't think it should be moved to suit publicans which is what this is about.

Do we seriously believe that in Scotland alcohol abuse on Hogmanay is down to an old firm game? A lot less alcohol will be consumed on Hogmanay if this game is moved to another date? Or might it be the case that just as much alcohol will be consumed as would be even if there were no OF game and moving it to another date for another pay day is preferable to pub owners?

Because hey on another day there will be less alcohol abuse wont there? And since when did publicans ever care about alcohol abuse? It's like saying tobacco companies care about the health risks of smoking.

Let's think of the travelling fans for once and get this moved to Jan 2. Thousands of bears from all over the UK will struggle to get home and should we win it curtails the celebrations when most have to get home for their traditional family Hogmanay parties.

Doesn't bother me at all either way, but, just for once, let's put fans first.

I definitely don't think it should be moved to suit publicans which is what this is about.

Do we seriously believe that in Scotland alcohol abuse on Hogmanay is down to an old firm game? A lot less alcohol will be consumed on Hogmanay if this game is moved to another date? Or might it be the case that just as much alcohol will be consumed as would be even if there were no OF game and moving it to another date for another pay day is preferable to pub owners?

Because hey on another day there will be less alcohol abuse wont there? And since when did publicans ever care about alcohol abuse? It's like saying tobacco companies care about the health risks of smoking.

Waterson Jnr has a very short memory when he forgets about how his dad made his money selling slops to drunks. Also, he's never out of the media shoving some agenda or other. Really, with his attitude he'd be better getting a job he liked doing. I took a dislike to the guy 5 minutes after meeting him and swore I'd never be back in one of his pubs ever again.

Let's think of the travelling fans for once and get this moved to Jan 2. Thousands of bears from all over the UK will struggle to get home and should we win it curtails the celebrations when most have to get home for their traditional family Hogmanay parties.

Doesn't bother me at all either way, but, just for once, let's put fans first.

The fans have put up with games on Monday and Friday nights for ages T.

It's too late now for the fans to ask for consideration.

As far as I am concerned it should be moved as Hogmanay was always an exciting family time getting ready to bring in the bells and for thousands this excitement will be taken away.

how many families/relatives are going to spend their time sitting in A&E waiting for news of loved ones with the potential that exists for violence???

Football is only a game after all and should not be prioritised to suit television at this time of year.

Kind of seems to me that if the game were moved, you'd have two drunken binge nights rather than combining into one... Maybe their thinking is, may as well put it on then as they will be getting drunk anyway and the increase in brawling in one night will be less than the two nights combined.

The pubs obviously want the opposite - two pay days instead of one...

Edited by calscot