Rangers v St Johnstone match preview.

Opportunity Knocks!

Whilst Marc Bolan was proclaiming the benefits of riding a white swan, the Beltane folk of Carnac were ignoring their necessary offerings to Alaunus. In a fit of pique, the sun god had washed our intended summer hols camp site into the Bay of Biscay. This information arrived a week before setting off, French stamped envelope, correspondence and returned cheque in hand; my old man was on the blower to the BBC Meteorological Department, wanting a long range weather forecast for Brittany? Apparently, the outlook for ducks was most promising. A bracing week in Portpatrick ensued amid vague promises over the unexpected windfall. A month later, another envelope delivered fulfillment. This was a much more exotic piece of stationery, it had the gates of Ibrox on the bottom left hand corner. Three season tickets all in the same name. Both Granddad and Dad had no imagination. I had always assumed Mother's aspirations for the windfall had drowned in a sea of misogyny; however, she insisted the events of six months previously had been uppermost.

Section G of the Main Stand was Death's waiting room, a pinelands of pensioners seeking their last gasp. Well, that's how it looked to this fourteen year old in August'71. We were all gasping our last as ra Sellik cuffed us three times in the season's opening four weeks, all at Ibrox. Ah, and there as those that insist the reintroduction of the League Cup sections are a good thing? Bad went to worse, we lost the first three League fixtures, Thistle and Aberdeen straddling the green'n'grey. Mitigating factors were twofold, a couple of retired theatricals immediately behind us demonstrated their strict adherence to the cause of Rangers, and Gilbeys. It was all legal then, tartan flasks(not hippies) were consumed with gusto. The thermal wave of juniper competed for discomfiture with those old heavy oak seats, it was a gin'n'tanic experience.

The taller of the two introduced himself as, 'Tommy Top Onions' and his intro' was timed to Rangers first corner/free-kick. As Andy Penman addressed the ball, and Bomber strode forward, he effected Hughie Green's transatlantic tone and bellowed, "opportunity knocks". He meant it, most sincerely. The rest of the turn quietly succumbed to a Gilbey induced slumber. The second ray of light arrived from rain sodden Brittany. Rennes to be exact, in the first round of the European Cup Winners Cup. Wullie Johnson's goal had secured a first leg 1-1 draw on a night of torrential deluge. The BBC did not lie in those days. The Ibrox return's defining moment came when a Colin Stein shot was parried by the keeper, Alex McDonald continued his late run into the box and slid the rebound into the net. At full time, Tommy was demanding we all vote for Doddie that week, as he had received a record score on the clap-o-meter.

I was not aware of the phrase, 'managing expectations' in the autumn of '71, the demands of the Rangers support was ever present. We had won our first trophy in six years a few months before, DJ's headed League Cup winner. It was to be Wullie Waddell's first full season in charge, and Kilmarnock's Tommy McLean had finally signed for his boyhood heroes. The first five weeks of that season were truly crushing. Doddy's belief in continuing that run seemed to signify a continuing deep belief within the players. At Hampden on Sunday, whilst standing in the North Stand; an uninvited and unwelcomed Hughie Green flashed into my mind, as Jason Holt's unbroken stride met Tav's square cross. Opportunity knocked, but a centre half stymied Holt's needle on the clap-o-meter.

In relating Jason Holt's style to that of Doddie, I am not emulating Billy McBungle's direct comparison of Stevie Fulton to be, "the new Roberto Baggio". Of course, it's easy to be mistaken of Bob Baggio traversing the terraced roads above Milan in his Lamborghini and Fulton's struggle to maintain his balance toting a Big Mac in each hand, as he bounces down the slopes above Greenock. In mitigation, we must remember Billy managed to relegate both Manchester City and Aston Villa in the same season. No, Holt is taking his first steps on a road that could lead to Doddie status. Further, there is no comparison in abilities between the 71/72 team and today's. There is one direct similarity, both arrived at the club for the reported transfer fee of £50,000, nearly half a century apart.

McDonald's arrival from St Johnstone was not universally accepted by Bears. I remember numerous heated discussions on supporters' buses and terraces, there was a hard corps minority that claimed Doddy was a 'corner boy' not fit to wear the jersey. I loved his combative style, a powerhouse of a competitor, and his innate ability, even willingness to upset the Yahoos, at every turn. It took three years for Doddie to become a firm favourite. Similarly, we must encourage Holt to keep on, keeping on. Those runs up the blind side, always available, never hiding, must be applauded. I hope Jason can go on to emulate Doddie's 500 appearances and 92 goals?

Tomorrow evening, the wily Tommy Wright brings a stuffy Saints, hoping to replicate last season's 1-3 result. They are ahead of us by two points, having played one game more. There is a three goal advantage to the Perth side in goal difference. We are quite similar, in that both teams lack genuine pace. It will be studies, tactical, and attritional aspects will determine ie the ability to keep making those runs. I believe Holt is our best hope in this regard. Kranjcar's injury is most unfortunate, because he has the ability to find the blind side runner. Will Dodson retain his place and ensure Tav' plays one forward? Can we convince a forward to remain in the opposition box? O'Halloran deserves a chance, but a tight Saints leave no room in behind. Should a clearly tired McKay be rested?

I would go with Foderingham, Dodson, Hill, Kiernan, Wallace, Tav, Halliday, Holt, Waghorn, Miller, and O'Halloran to effect a 2-1 result. This is my emotional reaction, I have predicted 1-1 draw in Bluebear's thread.

Interestingly, in Ally's first season in management, he was 13 points ahead of Lennon in late Autumn. We had St Johnstone and Killie in succesive games at Ibrox, we drew both 0-0 and the rest is history. Like Rennes in '71, I hope we achieve two victories, shining the light on the road ahead.

Aye, wee Hoddie. I mind him fine. And yon striker from the D'ited. Davie Hodds was it? Near enough about the time Glenn Doddle was playing for 'Spurs.

I wish our forwards could interchange as well as those ds and hs.

But seriously, I hope Hodson keeps his place. I like professional defenders.

I note the Dandy Dons, always anxious to flash their credentials as hating us more than the Yahoos, have succumbed 1-0 to Hamilton Acas this evening. Thus, an 8-zip victory over Saintees would place us second. Clint Hill to score the eighth?

I note the Dandy Dons, always anxious to flash their credentials as hating us more than the Yahoos, have succumbed 1-0 to Hamilton Acas this evening. Thus, an 8-zip victory over Saintees would place us second. Clint Hill to score the eighth?

As good a time as any to hit some form and take a result from this to match them on points. And if we do that how significant is it that we have been labeled as playing poorly, under performing and so on while no one has said anything of the kind about the sheep. Which to me indicates we just need to hit the form we're capable of to leave them trailing in our wake because they are already as good as they're going to get.

St Johnstone don't look like any great shakes to me and that was a home match for them. All we need to do is play efficiently and they will be beaten. Notable that their first goal came from what should have been an easily defended set piece and the second was a penalty. We should win this comfortably if we simply maintain concentration and play as we can.

Well to be honest I think Hill has more chance of hitting 8 than Garner has of scoring at all.:devil:

Would you settle for a one goal or a two goal victory at this point?

I would settle for the ball hitting a passing pigeon and nestling in the net as long as we get 3 points. Then another 3 from Kilmarnock with hopefully Hearts slipping up too and we're getting there if we can get on a solid winning run because the rest are pardon my French absolutely shite if Aberdeen are the best of them.

Right from the early weeks I always said I didn't think we would start clicking till we got into the second quarter. Even better if we get a run in motion now before the second quarter starts. Beginning with St Johnstone we have a 5 game run of what I would deem to be eminently winnable games before a double header against Hearts away then Aberdeen at Ibrox. If we can win all 5 of those games while I doubt those two will win all of their next 5 we will be back in a good spot.

26/10/2016 – 19:45 – Rangers v St. Johnstone

29/10/2016 – 15:00 – Rangers v Kilmarnock

05/11/2016 – 15:00 – Ross County v Rangers

19/11/2016 – 15:00 – Rangers v Dundee

26/11/2016 – 15:00 – Partick Thistle v Rangers

Three at home two away to teams we really should beat and if we can take full points from that which as I said I think is perfectly doable we will be in a good position before consecutive games against what will likely be the nearest challengers and i'm looking to give the sheep in particular a good hiding at Ibrox.

30/11/2016 – 19:45 – Hearts v Rangers

03/12/2016 – 15:00 – Rangers v Aberdeen