Rangers v St Johnstone match preview.

I didn't make it to Ibrox last night and didn't catch the match due to family commitments but I'm struggling to get an idea of how we played. Looking at stats we had more shots on goal, more possession and loads more corners than St. Johnston but reading the usual online rags it seems that St. Johnston were the better team (the Scotsman even goes as far to say that had Rangers scored a late chance, the win would have "flattered" Ranger. So, can anyone given me a reasonably objective view? Thanks in advance!

I hate to say it but I havee to agree with The Scotsman tbh. We did have a lot of the ball but did little with it. Despite having less possession, St. Johnstone looked dangerous and at times looked like they had an extra man on the pitch. We just huffed and puffed and looked lost at times

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I didn't make it to Ibrox last night and didn't catch the match due to family commitments but I'm struggling to get an idea of how we played. Looking at stats we had more shots on goal, more possession and loads more corners than St. Johnston but reading the usual online rags it seems that St. Johnston were the better team (the Scotsman even goes as far to say that had Rangers scored a late chance, the win would have "flattered" Ranger. So, can anyone given me a reasonably objective view? Thanks in advance!

We might have had more possession, but that's because we are playing the ball back and forth, back and forth between the backs and the goalie. We are wasting about twenty minutes a game with negative possession like that.

Just watched the highlights and am, much like against Ross County, Haliton and Co., at a loss how we failed to convert more of these great chances. You get the feeling that once we start converting one or two more, the floodgates might open.

You have to give it to St. Johnstone (et al), as they are more professional than those teams we faced last season and have trialed and tested their system of defending against better opposition for years. Not that this is in any way unexpected.

Edited by der Berliner

Just watched the highlights and am, much like against Ross County, Haliton and Co., at a loss how we failed to convert more of these great chances. You get the feeling that once we start converting one or two more, the floodgates might open.

You have to give it to St. Johnstone (et al), as they are more professional than those teams we faced last season and have trialed and tested their system of defending against better opposition for years. Not that this is in any way unexpected.

Wright got his tactics perfect last night but the worrying thing is that we did nowt to counter. We just kept on with the same huff and puff football.

Agreed, we were all over them and it should have been finished as a contest at halftime. And as you say surely the goals have to start coming. And I would say St Johnstone are one of the better teams in that league. They looked at least as good as the sheep.

Wright got his tactics perfect last night but the worrying thing is that we did nowt to counter. We just kept on with the same huff and puff football.

Well, we had someone with a better football mind in Kranjcar, someone able to change things. Right now, we can go on with Windass, Halliday and Holt in midfield, as they were driving us forward, with both Forrester and Windass willing to take shots from the distance, dangerous shots at that. To change things creatively, we are left with ... McKay, Miller and ... well, Dodoo. The variation is not exactly there. Would have trialed Dodoo, as he sure has the odd trick up his sleeve and is sure willing to prove his worth. The rest is probably a matter for January to solve ... and one hopes that MW and Co. are working on that as we speak.

We might have had more possession, but that's because we are playing the ball back and forth, back and forth between the backs and the goalie. We are wasting about twenty minutes a game with negative possession like that.

its fucking dire to watch

we create absolutely nothing

I have to agree. By the 2nd half we could have played for 450 minutes and I still wouldn't have been convinced we would score. Are we capable of getting to the byline at all?

we have no wingers, just forwards and CM played out wide

watching forrester and wallace last night was just painful.