Rangers v St Johnstone match preview.

Was actually a very good, open game of football last night.

As has often been the case this season, we played pretty well in the first half despite conceding another daft goal with Hodson guilty of not knowing where the opposition player was. A great finish though - sod's law! After that we worked really hard to get back into it and could/should have had three or four goals rather than the one equaliser.

Unfortunately, just like the Dundee, Thistle and Caley games we couldn't keep this up after half-time as the other side lifted their own game. MOH, Forrester and Garner all tired and our midfield also started to struggle and either side could have grabbed the win.

All in all a disappointing result but at least there were more positives and it is a point gained on others.

I didn't see the game, but reaction seems to be either 'decent, we're on the right track' to 'piss poor'. I'll need to see the highlights to judge. What is true is that we're not scoring goals, and subsequently not turning those draws into wins. 1 defeat (outside Celtic) in 10 is not bad; it's the measly 4 wins that is the issue at the minute. A couple of extra goals and we're in a decent position.

Blair Alston caused us trouble last season at Falkirk, did he not? I always though he was decent -- or, at least played well against us.

Edited by Rousseau

I was quite taken aback by the shouts around us tonight,two guys almost came to blows just in front of us!,there is a real frustration coming from the fans,and some terrible shouts/screams of get the ball up the park,long ball,long ball...................really pissed me of tonight!,I hope it doesn't continue as I can't see how this will help the team!,crazy!

I am looking forward to that on Saturday Ian :)

I really can't work out why fans would want to go back the long ball style rather than what we have been and are trying to play these days. It can be frustrating and we are not going to win the league this season but we're heading in the right direction but fans getting on the teams back like you say are not going to help us any!

I didn't see the game, but reaction seems to be either 'decent, we're on the right track' to 'piss poor'. I'll need to see the highlights to judge. What is true is that we're not scoring goals, and subsequently not turning those draws into wins. 1 defeat (outside Celtic) in 10 is not bad; it's the measly 4 wins that is the issue at the minute. A couple of extra goals and we're in a decent position.

Blair Alston caused us trouble last season at Falkirk, did he not? I always though he was decent.

It was the usual. We have loads of possession but all in the wrong areas. We didn't have the ability to hold the ball in the final third for any length of time. Not seen the stats but felt like the best chances fell to st Johnstone who were better in the final third than us. Felt like they had far more shots on goal and looked the more likely to score.

All we did was pass across the middle and back again until we lost it. Think in the second half we had 2 shots on target.

The formation doesn't fit the squad as was highlighted when windass went off. We had nobody who could play his position but still stuck with it.rotating Miller forester and McKay with none of them having any effect.The managers loyalty to his formation is costing us games plan and simple . It doesn't fit our resources at this time and leaves us unable to create enough chances. I really don't understand what he thinks is going to change when we do the same things over and over again. The players do not have the ability to hold the ball and play sharp short passing under pressure. Fitness won us a lot of games last year that just isn't happening this season

Well, the 1st half was decent, and should have brought a defensible lead. The second half was poor, and St Johnstone bossed the game, meaning that

the draw may have been about right, or, if I am brutally honest, a tad flattering.

Overall, that is from games so far this season, I would say that the team is weak; weak physically, weak mentally, and lacks drive and leadership.

I suggest that JB was supposed to help counteract such frailties. (Go easy on me.)

I didn't make it to Ibrox last night and didn't catch the match due to family commitments but I'm struggling to get an idea of how we played. Looking at stats we had more shots on goal, more possession and loads more corners than St. Johnston but reading the usual online rags it seems that St. Johnston were the better team (the Scotsman even goes as far to say that had Rangers scored a late chance, the win would have "flattered" Ranger. So, can anyone given me a reasonably objective view? Thanks in advance!

Well, the 1st half was decent, and should have brought a defensible lead. The second half was poor, and St Johnstone bossed the game, meaning that

the draw may have been about right, or, if I am brutally honest, a tad flattering.

Overall, that is from games so far this season, I would say that the team is weak; weak physically, weak mentally, and lacks drive and leadership.

I suggest that JB was supposed to help counteract such frailties. (Go easy on me.)

I agree. We look like a team that is scared and that was shown in great evidence on sunday. St. Johnstone worked us out in the first half then applied the same pressing tactics in the 2nd half. The worry for me was that they looked like they had an extra man on the pitch, were as we looked incapable of producing much apart from a goal crafted by chance rather than design. Outwith Garners header, I can't think of their keeper making any crucial saves in the 2nd half? I know some people are appalled at the call for the occasional long ball but last night the odd long pass would have stretched the game and pushed us higher up the pitch. I for one hate that type of football as a tactic but a few long passes last would have taken the pressure off defence, who seemed to be struggling with St. Johnstone pressing.

Same where I sit too Ian, minus the blows:crazy:

Same where we were. I was getting hacked off too with the pressure the fans were putting on the team. It really doesn't help. Every time the keeper kicked it up the park the ball came right back at us. It is up to the management team to recognise this and alter tactics accordingly. Teams have us sussed.