Realistically where are we now

Saying 'we have no money' might ring true if we're talking about challenging Celtic, but we've spent a fortune compared to the rest. We've had a dismal start to the season and the manager needs to turn things around fast. We're now almost in November and I've been saying this for months now.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We're 18 months into rebuilding an entire Club.

With the best will in the world progress will never ever be in a straight upward line.

As much as we think we have a sense of entitlement people need to realise we simply don't.

Are Hearts not in a similar position? They're above us in the league with a fraction of the resources.

We're so far off Celtic that I almost don't really care how we do against them. Yes, it's difficult looking so poor against them, but it's to be expected. When it comes to the rest though, we shouldn't be having many problems. The other Scottish sides are dreadful.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Are Hearts not in a similar position? They're above us in the league with a fraction of the resources.

We're so far off Celtic that I almost don't really care how we do against them. Yes, it's difficult looking so poor against them, but it's to be expected. When it comes to the rest though, we shouldn't be having many problems. The other Scottish sides are dreadful.

Only one of them has beaten us all season with a last minute goal that I recall.

Are we confident we will beat Hearts or any other SPFL team?

I'm confident of drawing - too confident in that result.

Warburton has less than a 50% win rate against premier clubs, and that stays true when you add in Hibs and Falkirk.

Hearts will be interesting as they have had a similar journey to us starting from a couple of seasons ago - but with a lot less money behind them. We haven't played them yet since the new management team arrived.

I think at the moment our problem is that we are of a too similar level to them and Aberdeen, when we should be noticeably better.

I would hazard the argument that Hearts went into the Premiership with a settled squad that saw only little alteration, a Premiership made up of one quality team and a lot of teams of Hearts' standard. Equally settled sides able to play the "big ones".

In contrast, we chopped and changed and never really got going, and you can lay the finger on various problems. And while those need to be adressed, it is still a bit strange to see people on the one hand saying that this will be a season of finding our feet, the last part of or journey back to the top and all that, while on the other going ballistic when we don't gel instantly* and wipe the floor with established Premiership sides who should be, on paper, food and drink for us. When they weren't even in the day and age of much much better players at Ibrox? Will we see such debates after every point dropped from now till the end of the season? Because people simply can't accept the stark facts that we face and have faced? And these same people see need to debate the same stuff over and over again? While it is all fine and well to point out the problems, it would be good to see some more realism every now and then.

* Didn't we all agree that this season's target is a top 3 spot? And that this is the target after 38 match days, not 10? The next milestone will be the January transfer window, probably a day of reckoning for the board.

I would hazard the argument that Hearts went into the Premiership with a settled squad that saw only little alteration, a Premiership made up of one quality team and a lot of teams of Hearts' standard. Equally settled sides able to play the "big ones".

In contrast, we chopped and changed and never really got going,

That didn't ring true in my memory and a quick check on Wikipedia confirms it - they brought in 13 new players and 16 left. Net spend was -£1.5 excluding the undisclosed fees.

They also brought in one loan, and loaned out six.

That was from a team that had a better season that we did in the Championship.

The problem is we're doing worse after spending a lot more money, and at the moment there is no reason to think that 2nd or 3rd is more than a toss up in probability, despite dramatically outspending our rivals for those spots.

...and wipe the floor with established Premiership sides who should be, on paper, food and drink for us. When they weren't even in the day and age of much much better players at Ibrox?

Before 2012 we were consistently about 20-30 points better than the best SPL also rans over a season, now we're in 5th after more than a quarter of the season. I can't see the similarity.

Will we see such debates after every point dropped from now till the end of the season? Because people simply can't accept the stark facts that we face and have faced? And these same people see need to debate the same stuff over and over again? While it is all fine and well to point out the problems, it would be good to see some more realism every now and then.

The point I've made in this thread is that the stark facts of the situation also apply to Hearts, but they have had a lot less money to spend. We need better progress but we seem stuck up a cul de sac, trying to find our way back to the main road...

* Didn't we all agree that this season's target is a top 3 spot? And that this is the target after 38 match days, not 10? The next milestone will be the January transfer window, probably a day of reckoning for the board.

For me, the target was a good 2nd place - say 10 points behind Celtic and at least 10 points ahead of the rest. I also said I'd take third with some mitigation (and maybe a cup) and evidence of some tangible progress.

Progress is not being made at the moment - and for all the "background" stuff that has been reorganised, I don't see any tangible benefit as yet - in fact we're about the worst we've ever been in our history in blooding youngsters from the Academy.

Andy Roxburgh used to boast about this background stuff all the time: how he rejigged everything from grassroots up to make Scotland more of a success in the future - so just when is that going to pay off?