Rangers kid Billy Gilmour is ‘destined to play in the first team before he’s 17

Agreed. I had heard that unlike other players at his age group, Dembele had only signed a one year contract rather than the 3-year contract that was standard at that age.

Aside from the fact I wasn't aware players at that age signed contracts per se, I'm sure its more of a training agreement, it certainly looks like the lad has eyes on moving away from Celtic at the very least. Apparently the lad absolutely loved going away with England and had a great time last week.

I always though they signed an S Form at minimum 14, so if he's 13 he can't sign anything concrete to protect the kids from exploitation.

Agreed. I had heard that unlike other players at his age group, Dembele had only signed a one year contract rather than the 3-year contract that was standard at that age.

Aside from the fact I wasn't aware players at that age signed contracts per se, I'm sure its more of a training agreement, it certainly looks like the lad has eyes on moving away from Celtic at the very least. Apparently the lad absolutely loved going away with England and had a great time last week.

Have schoolboy contracts not always been used? I can remember talk of players signing them when I was young.

RANGERS youngster Billy Gilmour is being chased by Premier League quartet Arsenal, Manchester United , Chelsea and Manchester City.

The 15-year-old was watched by scouts from the EPL big guns in Scotland's 2-0 Victory Shield win over Northern Ireland on Sunday.

Midfielder Gilmour, starred in the opening match of the annual Under-16 tournament, winning the man of the match award and some rave reviews with one influential coaching figure within the Scottish game who was in Edinburgh for the match saying: "The boy’s destined to play in Rangers first team before he’s 17."

Gilmour plays for the Ibrox side's Under-17s and signed a boot deal with adidas earlier this year, a highly unusual occurrence for a Scottish player of his age.

Reports in the Mirror claim Manchester United are understood to be keen to make a statement by landing Gilmour after losing their reputation as the leading club at youth level.

The Red Devils have taken 16-year-old Livingston youngster Matthew Knox on trial on two separate occasions as they continue to keep an eye on the Scottish market for young talent.

Chelsea and Manchester City's academies - who contested the last two FA Youth Cup finals - are now considered the best in England ahead of the Red Devils.

Manchester United run the rule over Livingston kid Matthew Knox as he takes part in bounce game

Gilmour will get another chance to impress watching scouts this afternoon when Scotland play their second match of the Victory Shield tournament against Wales.

The youngster appears to be taking being in the spotlight in his stride and is fully focused on today's match for Scotland. He said: "We were pleased with how we played against Northern Ireland.

"We're all comfortable on the ball and we know each other's games.

"It's important we just stick to doing more of the same against Wales."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-starlet-billy-gilmour-scouted-9170671

I always though they signed an S Form at minimum 14, so if he's 13 he can't sign anything concrete to protect the kids from exploitation.

No, S forms changed a number of years ago. At age 10 they now sign what are called Pro Youth contracts.

Moving up the ladder

Around the Academy:

The famous Manchester United Youth side from 1991

Which of these Manchester United youth players went on to hit the big time?

A club invites you to join its Academy. What happens now?

We asked Paul Holder, assistant Academy director at Crystal Palace, to talk us through the various stages.

What exactly is an Academy?

Academies are special training schemes set up by clubs to help them develop young players.

All Premiership clubs have Academies.

Other League clubs run either Academies or Centres of Excellence, which are run along the same lines.

Many non-league clubs also run their own development schemes or community projects.

Do I have to be a certain age to attend an Academy?

A player must be at least nine years of age to join an Academy.

But many clubs - such as Arsenal - have development groups which cater for even younger players.

Does it matter where I live?

Yes. This is important.

Strict new rules have been brought in to prevent clubs signing young players who live outside their catchment area.

Under 12's must live within an hour's travelling distance from the club, or 90 minutes for players aged 13-16.

Academy teams take part in a tournament

You'll sign schoolboy forms to start off with

What happens once a club agrees to take me on?

Between the ages of 9 and 16 you will be asked to sign schoolboy forms.

These will be renewed every year or two years, if the club is happy for you to continue.

Once you're 16, the club will then decide whether it wants you to stay on and join its Youth Training Scheme.

Places are limited though. For example, Crystal Palace take on around six trainees every year at this stage.

Some clubs take on more, some less.

If you are one of the lucky ones, you will be offered a scholarship.

This can last up to three years during which time you should progress from the Academy's Youth team to the Reserves.

Premiership clubs also have Under-21 teams to bridge the gap between the reserve team and the first team.

Technically, you can sign a professional contract at 17. But Wayne Rooney is the exception rather than the rule.

Most players will have to wait until they are 19 before finding out whether they have a future at the club.

RANGERS youngster Billy Gilmour is being chased by Premier League quartet Arsenal, Manchester United , Chelsea and Manchester City.

The 15-year-old was watched by scouts from the EPL big guns in Scotland's 2-0 Victory Shield win over Northern Ireland on Sunday.

Midfielder Gilmour, starred in the opening match of the annual Under-16 tournament, winning the man of the match award and some rave reviews with one influential coaching figure within the Scottish game who was in Edinburgh for the match saying: "The boy’s destined to play in Rangers first team before he’s 17."

Gilmour plays for the Ibrox side's Under-17s and signed a boot deal with adidas earlier this year, a highly unusual occurrence for a Scottish player of his age.

Reports in the Mirror claim Manchester United are understood to be keen to make a statement by landing Gilmour after losing their reputation as the leading club at youth level.

The Red Devils have taken 16-year-old Livingston youngster Matthew Knox on trial on two separate occasions as they continue to keep an eye on the Scottish market for young talent.

Chelsea and Manchester City's academies - who contested the last two FA Youth Cup finals - are now considered the best in England ahead of the Red Devils.

Manchester United run the rule over Livingston kid Matthew Knox as he takes part in bounce game

Gilmour will get another chance to impress watching scouts this afternoon when Scotland play their second match of the Victory Shield tournament against Wales.

The youngster appears to be taking being in the spotlight in his stride and is fully focused on today's match for Scotland. He said: "We were pleased with how we played against Northern Ireland.

"We're all comfortable on the ball and we know each other's games.

"It's important we just stick to doing more of the same against Wales."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-starlet-billy-gilmour-scouted-9170671

Chelsea may have one of the top two Academies in England but it is merely a numbers game to that particular club. They simply swoop up as many players as they can and end up loaning them out. The season before last they had 53, yes 53, players out on loan. Despite Billy Gilmour's talent it can be very easy to get lost in the mix with that number of players on the books.

Personally, and I know we are all biased, I think that playing for our 1st team would be an excellent route for the lad to go down - earning your 1st team apprenticeship at a Club like Rangers would stand him in good stead for being seen by the bigger clubs anyway.