[FT] St Johnstone 1 - 1 Rangers (McKay 23)

Tonights result was a disappointment but as things stand the main objective for this season is a Euro spot and that's well within reach so in the meantime i'm content with that. Think back to early season when all the predictions about struggling to be top 6 were flying around. The majority of it was coming from those who would have loved that to be the case but some of it was coming from our own too.

All that has been proven nonsense and the chances are we will be a comfortable second place and looking forward to a Euro adventure with the chance of some significant income. And who knows, we might even take the Scottish cup along the way. If we play as we can and also taking into consideration January strengthening it's going to take a lot better than St Johnstone, Hearts, or sheep to stop us in that cup.

There have been some patchy displays but we couldn't have realistically asked for much better in this season of transition than the outcome it appears to be heading towards.

Yes we will get into Europe but given the fact that our revered leader stated that there would be no significant new investment in the team until we get there, we may not see any new players until after we are knocked out in Q1 in July somewhere in the back of the European beyond like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan.

The team we have now doesn't have a prayer of getting into the group stages of the Europa League.

Maybe thats next years step forwards.

People will need to accept reality here.

They are 30 million a season ahead of us. At a bare minimum

Are you saying that their team wage bill is 30m more than ours? If so I think you are mixing us up with Queens Park.

Yes we will get into Europe but given the fact that our revered leader stated that there would be no significant new investment in the team until we get there, we may not see any new players until after we are knocked out in Q1 in July somewhere in the back of the European beyond like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan.

The team we have now doesn't have a prayer of getting into the group stages of the Europa League.

Well i'm somewhat more confident about that than you are. But if/when you're proven wrong I suspect you will simply still take the position you were right in saying so on what you perceived as the likelihood of quality signings and the displays of the team right? An i'm right even when i'm wrong position?

Right now in my view we're a far superior team to the sheep on our game and I expect the team to be even stronger after two transfer windows before Europa league qualifying. The sheep were narrowly beaten in the 3rd Europa league qualifying round and the team who beat them were themselves narrowly beaten by a goal on aggregate in the final play off round so saying Rangers don't have a prayer is to me pessimistic nonsense.

And just weeks ago you were having a go at me for maintaining Rangers are at a minimum the second best team in Scotland. Are you still right about that too or is it again one of those things where you will always be right even when you're wrong? You can be as pessimistic as you want to be that's your prerogative but you don't have a very good recent record regarding these predictions.

Well i'm somewhat more confident about that than you are. But if/when you're proven wrong I suspect you will simply still take the position you were right in saying so on what you perceived as the likelihood of quality signings and the displays of the team right? An i'm right even when i'm wrong position?

Right now in my view we're a far superior team to the sheep on our game and I expect the team to be even stronger after two transfer windows before Europa league qualifying. The sheep were narrowly beaten in the 3rd Europa league qualifying round and the team who beat them were themselves narrowly beaten by a goal on aggregate in the final play off round so saying Rangers don't have a prayer is to me pessimistic nonsense.

And just weeks ago you were having a go at me for maintaining Rangers are at a minimum the second best team in Scotland. Are you still right about that too or is it again one of those things where you will always be right even when you're wrong? You can be as pessimistic as you want to be that's your prerogative but you don't have a very good recent record regarding these predictions.

I'll deal with your last point first. I don't think we're "far superior" to Aberdeen. However, I do think that our performances have improved to the point where can perhaps claim to be the second best team in Scotland, though clearly we are yet to find a degree of consistency (two good performances in five outings and played well in patches before tonight are testimony to that), Aberdeen have similar problems. We have recorded a 2-1 win over each other and have some very similar recent results e.g. drawing with St Johnstone and beating Hamilton 2-1.

(Believe it or not, my real predictions were that we would lose 3-1 at Parkhead, 2-1 at Aberdeen and draw 1-1 tonight; but peer pressure forced me to make other predictions in the League.)

I think you're missing my main point about Europe, so let me clarify. It's my estimation that the team we have at present will struggle to get past Europa League Q1/Q2 unless we are very lucky in the draw and unless we get some reinforcements. I base this assessment on having watched much better Rangers teams struggle against what might have been regarded as inferior opposition in qualifying games in the past most recently e.g. Malmo and Maribor in 2011.

I have also taken note of Mr King's statement at the AGM "It is my belief that Rangers is presently well enough resourced to achieve our next major football objective – a return to Europe. A further investment in players will be required at that point."

I agree with the first part of what Mr King says; but I disagree with the second part. If the further investment is not made until we qualify i.e. next summer then we will already be playing qualifying games before any new players arrive or have a chance to bed into the team. On that basis I am indeed pessimistic about our chances.

Its simple we at this present time are not good enough its looking like there may have to be changes we would only embarrass our club by playing even mediocre European sides if we don't get a result or good performance on hogmany then the fans will just lose interest .

Are you saying that their team wage bill is 30m more than ours? If so I think you are mixing us up with Queens Park.

Im saying they make 40 million more than us a year.

Not all of it is spent on wages. They buy players with some of it.

I have no idea why you insist on drilling statistics down until they suit a point thats just contraey.

Edited by the gunslinger

I don't see where the confidence that we will "comfortably" finish second is coming from. We had a couple of good home results against Aberdeen and Hearts recently but that high intensity of play hasn't often been repeated this season. Relying on Garner as our main striker isn't working.

Last night was a strange one, we were exceptional for 30 minutes, some of the link up play and movement was sublime. But down to a lack of quality in the final third we don't capitalize on our dominance and the second we lose a goal, the heads go down. I'd really have liked a response to that daft goal because had we dusted ourselves down and played like we had before then we'd have been fine last night.

That was perhaps Garners worst game for us, the chance where he was at the back post 6 yards out, he at minimum has to hit the target and that shot was going out for a throw. The boys confidence is shot due to the criticism he's receiving from the media. I'd maybe go with Waggy on Saturday and drop Garner to the bench. I'd even be up for playing MOH as a lone striker and utilising his pace over the top with the long ball. Its probably the only fixture that that tactic would work in.

I thought for the second game in a row that big Wes was our best player. Looked very comfortable. He got slated for passing the ball to Kiernan but I don't buy that at all. Kiernan wasn't under heavy pressure and should've dealt with the situation. Saying that, he's been decent of late and I've no worries about him starting the old firm. I would take 2 million for him though