Rangers v St Johnstone - match preview

Tonight only showed why we need a striker capable of getting 25 league goals per season.

We must have created 4 or 5 clear cut chances in the first half but went in only 1-0 up.

It would have been a travesty had we not won but we really must score goals.

I heard Miller saying tonight that Waghorn has scored 45 goals in only 50 games. Maybe he should just have been in his proper position to get 25 goals.

Didn't think it was a red, though. My instant reaction was that I didn't even expect a yellow.

From my view in the WE I have to agree, if that's the standard for a red we should be seeing a lot more of them in Scottish football.

You know as soon as Clancy is confirmed as match ref he's going to screw us over.

From my view in the WE I have to agree, if that's the standard for a red we should be seeing a lot more of them in Scottish football.

You know as soon as Clancy is confirmed as match ref he's going to screw us over.

The leoblem this season is that every ref seems to be trying to screw us over. Will there be "highlights" of this match? Even so, I suspect the BBC will omit the penalty shout.

Really pleased for everyone over that result last night.

Ok, we defended unconvincingly at times but generally I thought we played very well. Our attacking play was really very good - especially in the first half - and it was only poor finishing and atrocious refereeing that kept the score down.

Unfortunately, as per the way of things at the moment, we conceded a goal out of nothing then Kiernan was sent off for possibly the softest red card I've ever seen. Sure, it was a silly challenge but the surprised reaction of the St J players and bench said it all. Suddenly, it's 2-2 as Hill loses his man at the corner but the reaction of the players (and fans) was very good and we could have still scored another two goals. When the winner did come it was very sweet and well deserved!

I thought Hyndman was our best player and felt Waggy is getting sharper all the time. Holt worked incredibly hard too and I felt Toral did well after a scrappy start.

I thought Toral was excellent last night -- those 2 loose balls aside. He was playing the DM role and his positioning was excellent, always open to receive a pass -- even from Wes a few times, breaking the STJ press, which is non-existant with Halliday -- with clever movements. Again, aside from those 2 loose balls early on, his distribution was excellent too, breaking their lines with crisp, accurate passes. He is casual, but he was a calming influence when we moved the ball forward; which, I think, helped our general attacking play. I was annoyed to see Halliday replace him because at that stage Toral was slowing the game down, like Hyndman; which is what we needed when defending a lead with 10-men -- game management.

I've not seen the U20's play but I imagine last nights performance is how they play: 4-3-3, clever movement, ball retention and attacking play. There was a naivety to it, but it showed our technical ability -- perhaps why Halliday was dropped for Holt? Perhaps someone who watches the U20's can enlighten me?

Edited by Rousseau

Toral did fine after a clumsy start. Like you say his ability (ala Kranjcar to take the ball in and find a pass) is an important one. Yes, he lacks a yard of pace but I'm hoping that will come with more games. I was also quite impressed with his defensive qualities as he worked hard when we lost the ball and made a few important tackles.

I think we're still too lightweight in midfield but, last night, our press was good and we didn't allow St J to play for long periods. Hyndman is definitely better utilised further forward as well.

I thought taking off Toral was the right option. He (and Holt actually) were tiring and we needed fresh legs. Halliday has been awful lately but was the right choice last night and Holt went onto finish the game strongly.

Absolutely pleasantly surprised that we got a win last night, although in saying that St johnstone played exactly the way we needed them to in the first hour to allow us the freedom of the pitch to create. Their failure to close us down, press high up the pitch, and move the ball forward quickly into our weak areas was an absolute joy to watch and we were well worth our 2-0 lead. Clancy being the cheat that he is denies the most stonewall penalty i have seen in a while to allow us to kill the game off, and then St Johnstone start to do the things that Dundee and ICT did and got their rewards because we continue to play defenders that are sub-standard (Kiernan & then Wilson).

There was nothing surer than an equaliser, and my prediction of a late winner was bang on the money....just at the opposite end from where I thought it would come!

The exodus at the equaliser was predictable and made the late winner all the more sweeter. If you are going to go to support the team, support them to the end!

As to the players, Toral was howling and I would have hooked him off after 15 mins as it looked as if he was trying to play the Halliday role to perfection and give away a goal. Only poor St J play avoided him costing us a goal that would have changed the match completely. Holt & Hyndman were very busy and must have covered every inch of the pitch twice. Waghorn had his best game of the season for me last night playing mostly through the middle. Miller was absolutely rank rotten, never supporting Waghorn and only contributing in midfield by giving the ball away. His many fanboys will point to the assist, but when that is your only positive contribution in an hour of play it doesnt wash with me. Rightly hooked after an hour, surely it is time his place was given to someone more supportive. 6 goals in 26 league games is a truly dreadful return. His goals to minutes of action ratio is the worst of all our strikers, yet he is first pick. Beats me.

I thought Tav stuck to his defensive side really well. There were a couple of times he stopped attacks in central positions (where Toral was supposed to be but wasnt) and made me consider if he may be worth a try in the midfield holding role? We dont have anyone crying out to be selected in that position and everyone tried so far has failed.

I assume we will appeal Kiernan's red card if it was as soft as my fellow bears with a better view than I suggest, as the thought of going to the piggery with Danny Wilson has already got me the shivers. As bad as Kiernan is, and he is REALLY bad, he isnt quite THAT bad!

Overall a good midweek for us with Dolly & Jambos losing and a win for us. We could do with a few more rounds of fixtures like this.

Toral did fine after a clumsy start. Like you say his ability (ala Kranjcar to take the ball in and find a pass) is an important one. Yes, he lacks a yard of pace but I'm hoping that will come with more games. I was also quite impressed with his defensive qualities as he worked hard when we lost the ball and made a few important tackles..

I didn't think he made that many tackles. I can think of one good one that he made. Early on, he seemed to slow down rather than make a challenge, and he still seems to go deliberately missing at times. He certainly improved during the second half and he's good when lying deep and making passes, but there's usually so much more to the game than that.

He doesn't work hard enough and is a luxury we can't afford when we play Celtic.