So what do you expect

Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha needs financial backing, says former Ibrox star Maurice Johnston

Johnston fears the club may never catch Celtic unless major investment is delivered.

Maurice Johnston was at Hampden today to look ahead to the Celtic v Rangers Scottish Cup semi-final (Photo:

Maurice Johnston has warned Rangers their Pedro Caixinha gamble is bound to fail unless they give the new boss money to play with.

The man who controversially crossed the Old Firm divide back in 1989 can barely believe the size of the gulf currently separating his old sides.

New Ibrox boss Caixinha has inherited a Rangers side languishing in third place in the Premiership, 33 points behind Brendan Rodgers' rampant Celtic .

Johnston - who lives in the US - is aware of the Portuguese coach following his stint in charge of Mexican outfit Santos Laguna but fears his lack of Scottish knowledge hamper his efforts to rebuild Rangers.

The Light Blues board have promised the 46-year-old money to spend this summer.

But Johnston fears the club may never catch their bitter rivals unless major investment is delivered.

The former Scotland frontman - speaking at an event to promote next month's Scottish Cup Old Firm semi-final showdown - said: "He's a good coach. He spent a couple of years in Mexico and won three trophies. But I think he needs some money now he's at Rangers.

"It's a huge gap he needs to close. How many points is it at the top of the championship, 33? I've been really impressed by the work Brendan Rodgers has done but the gap is so big.

"I think it's a big gamble for Rangers because he really doesn't know much about Scottish football. I don't think you can prepare yourself for the Old Firm.

Hilll scored against Celtic on Sunday to earn Rangers a point

"Right now it's not possible to close that gap. Rangers are so far behind it's not even funny.

"It was a great draw they got at the weekend because they are so far behind in the league. They can take a lot of confidence from that.

"We all thought Celtic would have run away with Sunday's game but the game proved to be different. I thought Rangers played well the last 20 minutes and deserved a draw.

"It's a little bit sad [that Rangers are so happy with a draw]. They really need to spend a bit of money, give the coach a little bit of finance and allow him to bring in better players to try and bridge this gap."

The Record have dug up the next one.:violin:

"It's a little bit sad [that Rangers are so happy with a draw].

If Johnston actually said that - why put it in brackets?

Only a rhabid tim would come out with that keech, stand up the daily rebel!

Anyway, any club in the world would feel happy about snatching a draw from the jaws of defeat against their bitter rivals on their own patch no matter what. We had lost to them 3 times this season including shipping 5 the last time at their midden, everyone and their granny with a scum persuasion were confident pre-match of handing out another drubbing, why would we not be happy with a draw?

Also we ended their winning streak...I'm so happy! :flute:

What do I expect? Other than a defensive improvement, I don't know what to expect, and that's what's great about this appointment.

There's mystery and excitement. Yes, there's a risk and yes, he's unknown, but as a fan I'm trying to look upon these as being positives.

There will be plenty of time to be negative in the future when reality sets in. I'm enjoying it at the moment.

If Johnston actually said that - why put it in brackets?

Only a rhabid tim would come out with that keech, stand up the daily rebel!

Anyway, any club in the world would feel happy about snatching a draw from the jaws of defeat against their bitter rivals on their own patch no matter what. We had lost to them 3 times this season including shipping 5 the last time at their midden, everyone and their granny with a scum persuasion were confident pre-match of handing out another drubbing, why would we not be happy with a draw?

Also we ended their winning streak...I'm so happy! :flute:

Chances are, Johnston was asked what he thought about Rangers being happy with a draw, his answer was "It's a little bit sad", the brackets are added to add context to the answer without quoting the initial question.

I'd expect to see MORE goals being scored if possible - our defence gets continually slated, yet the goals for column stinks.

McKay is our best player for assists, however his goals contribution is pretty grim!

Wee daft fact of season 2016/17:

McKay played 37 scored 4

Hill played 27 scored 5.

I expect to see some consistency with another good display and a win against Hamilton on Saturday. We're just about down to the wire as far as second place goes. There can be no more flat performances. Be interesting to see if the new mangers idea of a formation is any different from that we have become accustomed to.

Chances are, Johnston was asked what he thought about Rangers being happy with a draw, his answer was "It's a little bit sad", the brackets are added to add context to the answer without quoting the initial question.

So we're not meant to be happy with a draw when every bheast and ex bheast was predicting a record bheast win, including the record? Work that one out.