Martyn Waghorn linked with summer move to Nottingham Forest

Rangers striker Martyn Waghorn linked with summer move to Nottingham Forest

Mark Warburton wants to be reunited with Gers' top scorer at Forest but faces competition from Huddersfield and Leeds.

Rangers striker Martyn Waghorn has emerged as a summer transfer target for Nottingham Forest.

The Englishman is top of former boss Mark Warburton's wanted list, according to reports down south.

But the ex-Gers boss, who was only appointed as Forest boss a week ago, faces competition from Huddersfield and Leeds for the 27-year-old.

Waghorn was one of Warburton's first signings for Rangers in the summer of 2015 and hit 28 goals as the Light Blues romped to the Championship title.

Despite being in and out of the first XI this season Waghorn is still top scorer at Ibrox with 15 goals.

And with just a year left on his contract he has emerged as a target for the three English Championship rivals, according to the Mail.

However Waghorn said at the weekend he was targeting a new deal at Ibrox and was desperate to impress new boss Pedro Caixinha.

The striker said: “Everyone has two months to show what they can do.“Who knows what the future holds? But I am going to give my all for the club and

hopefully be here next season too.“I’ve always said I would like to stay, extend my contract and be here for a long time. I have another year on my deal so we have plenty of time left. There’s no rush but hopefully I can stay in the team.

Meanwhile, Waghorn says Pedro Caixinha has already stamped his 'new style' across the team after only one week.

The former Wigan frontman has been impressed with the job the Portuguese boss has done since his arrival and it started well on the pitch with a 4-0 win against Hamilton.

Caixinha has the Ibrox squad in for a six-day training week as he looks to build on the Accies romp.

And Waghorn says the hard graft started on the training ground as Caixinha and his staff unveiled a new style on the Rangers team.

"It was important that we got off to a good start with the new boss," he told the Rangers website .“We worked hard all week implementing new drills, new tactics and stuff, and it was a real chance to go out there and stamp our new style and new game plan and where we are going to go this season."

Waghorn reckons their new high pressing style worked well in the victory at Ibrox and a couple of small tactical tweaks made all the difference.“That transition between attacking and defending, it’s important you are all on the same page.

“Attacking wise it was more of a 4-2-3-1 but defensively it was 4-4-1-1 and I think we just looked a bit more solid, a bit more balanced and we kind of kept the same approach to what Murts ( Graeme Murty ) done for the Old Firm.“We looked comfortable in that game defensively so it was just nice that we have got a settled team and structure and winning games which is always nice as well.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-striker-martyn-waghorn-linked-10068431

Im hoping Waghorn stays and Pedro gets a bit more out of him. I think the ability is there but he was to much in and out under MW this season plus didn't get a run through the middle.

Id rather Forest come in for Garner so we recoup some of the Million plus we paid.

As always, money talks!

No money in the world can warrant unhappiness. I sincerely doubt if he was unhappy with Warburton that he would move there for a bit more money.

No money in the world can warrant unhappiness. I sincerely doubt if he was unhappy with Warburton that he would move there for a bit more money.

Ha!, Scott Allan thwarts that argument!, one of many!