http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php

That time is here again. The letters will soon be through the door and RFC are asking for your hard-earned cash – often more than £400 in many cases. Are you automatically reaching for your bank account details? Is it money well spent or could it be considered emotional blackmail? Whatever you think wait a few minutes before getting your wallet out – read on!

The end of this season will now see 2 years of no success – not one trophy! The product on offer has been depressing and if it wasn’t for a decent CL run last season and an interesting UEFA Cup run this term, we’d have no positives to talk about.

I think it’s fair to say that at the beginning of the season we were all pretty happy. Attracting and installing Paul Le Guen as our new manager must have been no easy task. He was one of the youngest and brightest managers in world football and we all thought David Murray had secured a gem. We were back and nothing would stop us was the cry! How wrong could we have been?

Investment into the playing side was minimal because of more pay offs and no CL football. However, even with the money PLG did get it appears to have been wasted on players that have offered little or no improvement on previous personnel. It all soon went downhill and I don’t think we need reminding about how bad it was. As such, in a marked difference from last season, SDM acted quickly and removed PLG immediately. ‘Back to the Future’ was the theme as Walter Smith returned along with Ally McCoist who would surely help dressing room differences.

As a short-term solution it seems to have worked to a degree. Decent SPL form and a much-needed away win against Celtic means the feel-good factor is returning slightly. It remains to be seen if it’s the right medium-long term appointment and our quick Euro exit showed Smith et al have a lot of hard work ahead of them.

In addition, we still don’t have our problems to seek off the pitch. The UEFA charge of early 2006 has hung over us and we have all been criticised in the media every other day since. At that time, Murray’s statement condemning sectarianism and bigotry was appropriate and the responsibility certainly lies with us all in eradicating the offensive content from our support. It is a challenge but one that we must overcome. The continued witch-hunt by various parties (independent, anonymous or not) shows that the matter won’t be laid to rest so we have to act soonest.

I do wonder though at the club’s reluctance to combat the media on these issues. Too often now we seem impotent when it comes to their ever more frequent diatribes. Journalists such as the odious Graham Spiers, Gerry McNee and Hugh Keevins seem able to say what they want without fear of reprisal from the chairman or the club. Others have jumped on this bandwagon while other clubs seem to do what they want with minimal coverage. Why is the press coverage so seemingly one-sided?

Criticism of our club and its fans goes with the territory. It’s is often valid and we should neither deflect nor deny the problems we face. However, at the same time we cannot allow our enemies to blacken our name by sensationalising a terrible issue. We cannot afford to give people like the above carte blanche to say what they like about the fans and our club. With new SPL rules on the horizon the danger has never been clearer and we have to be ready for further attacks.

David Murray, as our club’s custodian and our ultimate ‘leader’, should answer on our behalf. Yet the only people I see standing up for our fellow fans are voluntary fans’ groups. Surely if someone like Murray or even Martin Bain did what Peter Lawwell of Celtic seems to be doing very successfully, these attacks wouldn’t be so frequent or so over the top?

The last 2 years have been awful but there are signs that we can rally. However, unless the club start defending the fans, the Rangers family might not be as happy or together as it should be. David Murray and the board are the head of the family and they must start leading from the front. Once again, I implore the club to act in the good name of Rangers FC. There is a battle going on out there and we desperately need a General. Is David Murray that man? Where has he been lately?

As such, I would ask every Rangers fan reading this to not blindly fill out that renewal form. Have a think what you want from your club. Do the arrival of Walter Smith and some more new players satisfy your ambitions? As well as the primary media issue, what about the other problems we have? Dangerous European away trips; hindrance of invaluable singing sections; over-the-top policing and stewarding; a confusing and forever changing Youth system; poor match-day facilities; questionable scouting policies and minimal appreciation of the club’s history. These are all negative issues which should concern every one of us.

Are you still ready to sign that form? I know you will. I know I will. After all we are amongst the most loyal fans in the game and supporting a club such as Rangers isn’t always done logically. But, fellow Rangers fan, why not do what I’m going to do: accompany your renewal with a letter or with a simple piece of paper if you prefer. On it use the following words to show that you’re a customer who doesn’t appreciate being victimised in the media and who will not blindly accept second best year after year. This simple message will suffice:

David Murray – Show some leadership and defend our club.

I'm seriously considering ditching my season ticket this season but there's 2 things stopping me - 1) I look forward to going to Ibrox to watch Rangers 2) The wee burd who sits next to me is hot!

Is there currently a waiting list for season tickets? Would it be easy enough for me to get another one in 2 years time?

I'm seriously considering ditching my season ticket this season but there's 2 things stopping me - 1) I look forward to going to Ibrox to watch Rangers 2) The wee burd who sits next to me is hot!

Is there currently a waiting list for season tickets? Would it be easy enough for me to get another one in 2 years time?

M8 not a problem to get one next season/ season after

Del.

Seriously considering not reapplying this season - the first time in 25 years. The response above show and speak volumes in respect of what the average Bear is thinking at the moment. Maybe, justs maybe this is the action required to finally force SDM to act. I urge ALL season ticket holders to think long and hard before renewing. Don't worry, there is no waiting list of punters ready and willing to take your place.

If I don't renew, I'll just buy tickets for the games I want to go to via the ticket centre.

Cammy F

If I don't renew, I'll just buy tickets for the games I want to go to via the ticket centre.

Cammy F

That's what I'm thinking but I'll miss the Celtic games and the wee burd I sit next too. Decisions decisions!

Cammy F

That's exactly what im thinking too, Cammy! It's not as if i would stop following the Gers, i'd just pick games that i'd fancy going to, and it would give me more time to spend down the coast at the caravan!

I also don't fancy shelling out 400 notes to watch the team, only to find our stadium being shut down, or points being deducted, because the brain dead morons can't keep their mouths shut when it comes to certain archaic chants! :mad: