C****c Fire Warning To Semi Final Officials

Former Celtic boss Ronny Deila fires warning to Scottish Cup semi officials: Ref killed my treble - don't do the same to Brendan Rodgers

Deila is still shattered referee Stevie McLean missed a handball that robbed him of a potential clean sweep two years ago against Inverness Caley Thistle.

Ronny Deila hopes lightning doesn’t strike twice and a dodgy decision denies Celtic a Treble.

The former Parkhead manager admits he’s still shattered referee Stevie McLean missed a handball that robbed him of a potential clean sweep two years ago against Inverness Caley Thistle.

Deila had the League Cup and Premiership in the bag when defeat to Inverness in the 2015 Scottish Cup semi-final ended the dreams of triple glory.

The Norwegian’s pain came from the failure of McLean and his assistants to spot a clear handball offence on the line by Highland defender Josh Meekings to deny Leigh Griffiths a headed goal.

That would have put Celtic 2-0 in front and one man up before half-time but it was not awarded and Deila had to then suffer as his team subsequently crashed out 3-2 to John Hughes’s men.

Now Brendan Rodgers is in the same boat as Deila – aiming for a treble in his first Parkhead term.

And his predecessor is hoping neither the Celtic boss nor his Rangers counterpart Pedro Caixinha are robbed of success by an official’s blunder on Sunday at the National stadium.

Deila said: “It’s important the best team wins on Sunday and that the game is not decided by a decision of a referee.“You saw again with Real Madrid against Bayern Munich in the Champions League on Tuesday night. Big games can change on a bad refereeing decision.“The fact we did not get that treble in my first season is killing me, still.

“That referee’s non-decision in the semi-final when the ball is punched off the line and then we get a red card and lose, it still hurts me now.“Would I still be there if we had won that treble? Yes, I think so.“I hope Sunday’s game is going to be a fair game and the winners are the ones who deserve to win.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-celtic-gaffer-ronny-deila-10258763

Edited by ian1964

Tom Boyd says Celtic need a referee who can spot ‘handballs on the goal-line’ to keep their treble dreams alive against Rangers

Celts were denied a stonewall penalty against Inverness in 2015 for a blatant handball against Josh Meekings who cleared off the line

TOM BOYD reckons Celtic need a referee who can spot ‘handballs on the goal line’ to keep their Treble dreams alive.

The Hoops take on Rangers in Sunday’s blockbuster Scottish Cup semi-final showdown at Hampden, knowing a win could take them within 90 minutes of domestic clean sweep.

The game will come*two years after Celtic were denied a stonewall penalty against Inverness*for*a*blatant handball against Josh Meekings who cleared off the line.

It proved a pivotal decision by whistler Steven McLean as Caley went on to destroy Ronny Deila’s*Treble dream by winning 3-2 after extra-time.

And Boyd*hinted the only way Brendan Rodgers’ men won’t*land a place in the showpiece final is if*more controversial calls go against them.

Asked if he had any advice for skipper Scott Brown, the Parkhead legend told the 90MinuteCynic podcast:*“Yes, make sure you get a referee who spots handballs on the goal-line.

“Listen, on a lot of occasions we’ve not played well in semi-finals and we’ve deservedly lost, but in others it has been taken out of our hands through dodgy decisions.”

Tom Boyd says Celtic need a referee who can spot ‘handballs on the goal-line’ to keep their treble dreams alive against Rangers

Celts were denied a stonewall penalty against Inverness in 2015 for a blatant handball against Josh Meekings who cleared off the line

TOM BOYD reckons Celtic need a referee who can spot ‘handballs on the goal line’ to keep their Treble dreams alive.

The Hoops take on Rangers in Sunday’s blockbuster Scottish Cup semi-final showdown at Hampden, knowing a win could take them within 90 minutes of domestic clean sweep.

The game will come*two years after Celtic were denied a stonewall penalty against Inverness*for*a*blatant handball against Josh Meekings who cleared off the line.

It proved a pivotal decision by whistler Steven McLean as Caley went on to destroy Ronny Deila’s*Treble dream by winning 3-2 after extra-time.

And Boyd*hinted the only way Brendan Rodgers’ men won’t*land a place in the showpiece final is if*more controversial calls go against them.

Asked if he had any advice for skipper Scott Brown, the Parkhead legend told the 90MinuteCynic podcast:*“Yes, make sure you get a referee who spots handballs on the goal-line.

“Listen, on a lot of occasions we’ve not played well in semi-finals and we’ve deservedly lost, but in others it has been taken out of our hands through dodgy decisions.”

I take it the ref has to spot handballs on both goal-lines then Tom.

John Hartson insists blunder ref Don Robertson should be removed from Old Firm firing line – and go for Sunday lunch

The former Celtic striker believes Robertson should now pay the penalty for his howler, and not be one of the extra officials at Hampden

Hartson believes the man in black should now pay the penalty for his howler, and not be one of the extra officials at Hampden for the Cup semi-final on Sunday.

Hartson said: “I think there’s too much pressure on Don Robertson now. I don’t know why he would want to be an official in the semi-final.“He must be feeling very embarrassed, if he’s a realist and he’s honest.“I would just say: ‘Look, leave me out of that one’, if I was the referee or the assistant.

“Take yourself out of the fray. Put somebody else in. Why aren’t referees protecting him?“Why stick him into that big game? Take him out, let him go for lunch with his family on Sunday, give the guy a break.”

Robertson’s wrong decision won’t cost Celtic the title. But the point the last ditch penalty won County may well influence if they stay up or not – and send another team down.

Hoops skipper Scott Brown was so incensed at the decision he lost the plot to land a red card, which Celts appealed to let him to face Gers.

Brown is likely to be suspended eventually, but Hartson also wants whistlers to pay for their mistakes.

He added: “As a player you go on the pitch and afterwards you look at decisions and think: ‘That was so blatant it’s laughable’.“That decision last weekend? I think the referee must have been unsighted, and just listened to the sound of the crowd noise.“Otherwise how can you possibly give that? He is the only man in that whole stadium who saw it that way.“He guessed. He listened to the crowd noise.

“If he has apologised to Brendan Rodgers he has at least acknowledged he has made a mistake, which is something. As for the conspiracy theories, I’ll leave that to the fans to decide.

“I’ve had two bad ones. There was a League Cup Final against Rangers when I had a goal chalked off that was two yards onside.

“I scored in my first game at Ibrox as well which was onside, but wasn’t given.“As players we can get sent off, we can two-foot somebody, get a straight red, and you miss three games.

“A referee can cost a team a point, or the title, or cost a team a European place and he’s back in. Where’s the punishment there?”

Willie Collum has been tasked with keeping a lid on things in the latest showdown between the Old Firm.

Fifa rate him as the No1 whistler in Scotland, and he kept control of the opening Old Firm clash of the season when Celtic ran out 5-1 winners at Parkhead.

Hartson said: “Willie Collum is an experienced referee — he has done big games before.

“Whoever does it is in the firing line. Craig Thomson has made some big decisions in the past which have been ludicrous. There is all this talk of respect for referees, and I’m into all of that, but then sometimes?

“You saw Rodgers last Sunday, one of the coolest men on the planet was infuriated by that decision.“That’s what football does to you when you are passionate about it.

“Refereeing is the hardest thing to do because you’ve got a split second to make a huge call.“You need the thickest of skins — and a big ego!”

Hartson will be at Hampden on Sunday, and can only see one winner.:D

He added: “Celtic should win, but I’ve learned when you go big on a prediction you can have egg on your face.

“In the semi-final last season I said Celtic would win 4-0, but Rangers came out with the right attitude and had a little bit of luck to win on penalties.

“Celtic will win because they have better players. Generally form goes out the window, but Celts are so strong, and they have a shape, pace and an organisation about them.”

The Norwegian’s pain came from the failure of McLean and his assistants to spot a clear handball offence on the line by Highland defender Josh Meekings to deny Leigh Griffiths a headed goal.

That would have put Celtic 2-0 in front and one man up before half-time but it was not awarded and Deila had to then suffer as his team subsequently crashed out 3-2 to John Hughes’s men.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-celtic-gaffer-ronny-deila-10258763

Haw'd oan a minute.....

Ceptic were winning the game 1-0 at the time of the alleged offence, so how did the ref's mistake cost them the came??? the alleged offence occurred in the 1st half as well. Is Delia actually saying that his team were not strong enough to beat an 11-man Caley thistle within 90mins???

Caley Thistle went on to score 3 goals, while Ceptic got a second - who's to say that even if they were given the penalty that firstly, they would have scored it, and secondly that Thistle may not have pulled back a couple of goals anyway.

Seriously clutching at straws.

I could maybe understand it more if Caley were winning, or it was sitting 0-0 with a few minutes of play left, but winging about a missed decision in the 1st half, while your team is winning is just sour grapes, and aiming to heap pressure onto Sundays ref so that he favours any Ceptic decision.

Haw'd oan a minute.....

Ceptic were winning the game 1-0 at the time of the alleged offence, so how did the ref's mistake cost them the came??? the alleged offence occurred in the 1st half as well. Is Delia actually saying that his team were not strong enough to beat an 11-man Caley thistle within 90mins???

Caley Thistle went on to score 3 goals, while Ceptic got a second - who's to say that even if they were given the penalty that firstly, they would have scored it, and secondly that Thistle may not have pulled back a couple of goals anyway.

Seriously clutching at straws.

I could maybe understand it more if Caley were winning, or it was sitting 0-0 with a few minutes of play left, but winging about a missed decision in the 1st half, while your team is winning is just sour grapes, and aiming to heap pressure onto Sundays ref so that he favours any Ceptic decision.

C'mon mate!, don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

That mob have been doing the same thing since I started watching football and I'd assume even before that. Stein was forever in the papers whining about referees.

Given that their current squad is packed with players each worth in excess of £20/30 million while not one of our players would earn a place in their team does make me wonder what the fuss is all about.

A referee mistake in the last minute giving us a win would be delightful. :flute: