C****c Fire Warning To Semi Final Officials

John Hartson insists blunder ref Don Robertson should be removed from Old Firm firing line – and go for Sunday lunch

The former Celtic striker believes Robertson should now pay the penalty for his howler, and not be one of the extra officials at Hampden

Hartson believes the man in black should now pay the penalty for his howler, and not be one of the extra officials at Hampden for the Cup semi-final on Sunday.

Hartson said: “I think there’s too much pressure on Don Robertson now. I don’t know why he would want to be an official in the semi-final.“He must be feeling very embarrassed, if he’s a realist and he’s honest.“I would just say: ‘Look, leave me out of that one’, if I was the referee or the assistant.

“Take yourself out of the fray. Put somebody else in. Why aren’t referees protecting him?“Why stick him into that big game? Take him out, let him go for lunch with his family on Sunday, give the guy a break.”

Robertson’s wrong decision won’t cost Celtic the title. But the point the last ditch penalty won County may well influence if they stay up or not – and send another team down.

Hoops skipper Scott Brown was so incensed at the decision he lost the plot to land a red card, which Celts appealed to let him to face Gers.

Brown is likely to be suspended eventually, but Hartson also wants whistlers to pay for their mistakes.

He added: “As a player you go on the pitch and afterwards you look at decisions and think: ‘That was so blatant it’s laughable’.“That decision last weekend? I think the referee must have been unsighted, and just listened to the sound of the crowd noise.“Otherwise how can you possibly give that? He is the only man in that whole stadium who saw it that way.“He guessed. He listened to the crowd noise.

“If he has apologised to Brendan Rodgers he has at least acknowledged he has made a mistake, which is something. As for the conspiracy theories, I’ll leave that to the fans to decide.

“I’ve had two bad ones. There was a League Cup Final against Rangers when I had a goal chalked off that was two yards onside.

“I scored in my first game at Ibrox as well which was onside, but wasn’t given.“As players we can get sent off, we can two-foot somebody, get a straight red, and you miss three games.

“A referee can cost a team a point, or the title, or cost a team a European place and he’s back in. Where’s the punishment there?”

Willie Collum has been tasked with keeping a lid on things in the latest showdown between the Old Firm.

Fifa rate him as the No1 whistler in Scotland, and he kept control of the opening Old Firm clash of the season when Celtic ran out 5-1 winners at Parkhead.

Hartson said: “Willie Collum is an experienced referee — he has done big games before.

“Whoever does it is in the firing line. Craig Thomson has made some big decisions in the past which have been ludicrous. There is all this talk of respect for referees, and I’m into all of that, but then sometimes?

“You saw Rodgers last Sunday, one of the coolest men on the planet was infuriated by that decision.“That’s what football does to you when you are passionate about it.

“Refereeing is the hardest thing to do because you’ve got a split second to make a huge call.“You need the thickest of skins — and a big ego!”

Hartson will be at Hampden on Sunday, and can only see one winner.:D

He added: “Celtic should win, but I’ve learned when you go big on a prediction you can have egg on your face.

“In the semi-final last season I said Celtic would win 4-0, but Rangers came out with the right attitude and had a little bit of luck to win on penalties.

“Celtic will win because they have better players. Generally form goes out the window, but Celts are so strong, and they have a shape, pace and an organisation about them.”

The one at Ibrox WAS offiside.

John Hartson insists blunder ref Don Robertson should be removed from Old Firm firing line – and go for Sunday lunch

The former Celtic striker believes Robertson should now pay the penalty for his howler, and not be one of the extra officials at Hampden

Hartson believes the man in black should now pay the penalty for his howler, and not be one of the extra officials at Hampden for the Cup semi-final on Sunday.

Hartson said: “I think there’s too much pressure on Don Robertson now. I don’t know why he would want to be an official in the semi-final.“He must be feeling very embarrassed, if he’s a realist and he’s honest.“I would just say: ‘Look, leave me out of that one’, if I was the referee or the assistant.

“Take yourself out of the fray. Put somebody else in. Why aren’t referees protecting him?“Why stick him into that big game? Take him out, let him go for lunch with his family on Sunday, give the guy a break.”

Robertson’s wrong decision won’t cost Celtic the title. But the point the last ditch penalty won County may well influence if they stay up or not – and send another team down.

The one at Ibrox WAS offside

Hoops skipper Scott Brown was so incensed at the decision he lost the plot to land a red card, which Celts appealed to let him to face Gers.

Brown is likely to be suspended eventually, but Hartson also wants whistlers to pay for their mistakes.

He added: “As a player you go on the pitch and afterwards you look at decisions and think: ‘That was so blatant it’s laughable’.“That decision last weekend? I think the referee must have been unsighted, and just listened to the sound of the crowd noise.“Otherwise how can you possibly give that? He is the only man in that whole stadium who saw it that way.“He guessed. He listened to the crowd noise.

“If he has apologised to Brendan Rodgers he has at least acknowledged he has made a mistake, which is something. As for the conspiracy theories, I’ll leave that to the fans to decide.

“I’ve had two bad ones. There was a League Cup Final against Rangers when I had a goal chalked off that was two yards onside.

“I scored in my first game at Ibrox as well which was onside, but wasn’t given.“As players we can get sent off, we can two-foot somebody, get a straight red, and you miss three games.

“A referee can cost a team a point, or the title, or cost a team a European place and he’s back in. Where’s the punishment there?”

Willie Collum has been tasked with keeping a lid on things in the latest showdown between the Old Firm.

Fifa rate him as the No1 whistler in Scotland, and he kept control of the opening Old Firm clash of the season when Celtic ran out 5-1 winners at Parkhead.

Hartson said: “Willie Collum is an experienced referee — he has done big games before.

“Whoever does it is in the firing line. Craig Thomson has made some big decisions in the past which have been ludicrous. There is all this talk of respect for referees, and I’m into all of that, but then sometimes?

“You saw Rodgers last Sunday, one of the coolest men on the planet was infuriated by that decision.“That’s what football does to you when you are passionate about it.

“Refereeing is the hardest thing to do because you’ve got a split second to make a huge call.“You need the thickest of skins — and a big ego!”

Hartson will be at Hampden on Sunday, and can only see one winner.:D

He added: “Celtic should win, but I’ve learned when you go big on a prediction you can have egg on your face.

“In the semi-final last season I said Celtic would win 4-0, but Rangers came out with the right attitude and had a little bit of luck to win on penalties.

“Celtic will win because they have better players. Generally form goes out the window, but Celts are so strong, and they have a shape, pace and an organisation about them.”

The one at Ibrox WAS offiside.

Two decades past, ra Sellik used to hire private detectives to follow referees around for several weeks. The compiled dossiers were released to friends in the media and the fun began. Why can't they go back to those much simpler days?