[FT] Celtic 2 - 0 Rangers

My first ever Old Firm encounter was at the tender age of eleven. I remember it vividly as I was most unimpressed as we were 3-1 down at one point in a match that would end 4-4. It was chucking it down that day and being sat down the front of the Govan stand (Sandy Jardine stand for any younger readers) I was suitably drenched and demotivated. Then of course we had a mad 11 minute spell where we scored three goals and were leading 4-3 at one point only for the moon howlers to equalise and make it 4-4. It was however an incredible initiation for this eleven year old in 1986, it what must go down as arguably one of the greatest derby matches ever seen at Ibrox.

This Sunday we will all march to Hampden and there will be millions of Bears worldwide watching as we attempt to emulate last year’s semi-final performance and progress to the May final versus Aberdeen or Hibs? Since the draw the anticipation has been tangible. Every old firm match has its own history, individual in its own story. Providing us memories good or bad that for one reason or another we will remember and discuss with friends and fellow bears in the years ahead. This Sunday is no different. We all eagerly await in the hope that Rangers turn up, deliver a performance to be proud of, become part of our memories and leave Hampden with a final place for us all to look forward too.

We go into the match with a renewed sense of belief and pride in our team. Pedro has instilled confidence that was sadly lacking. Players who seemed startled like rabbits in the headlight are now performing like seasoned professionals comfortable that they are where they should be. Their blue jersey hasn’t shrunk, it is they who have grown in stature big enough to believe they should be wearing it. This process began with Graeme Murty and ironically passed to Pedro at the Farmyard on the day he watched Clint Hill score in the final few minutes for us to leave with a draw. Confidence began to grow inside the players that day, a belief in themselves and their own resilience. The side that had withered under our last manager began to form a cohesive structure and formation that performed well. We then continued on to Hamilton, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Thistle last Saturday. Progress being made in all of those games and we have come through them all unbeaten. Players such as Wilson, Holt, Wes and Tavernier looking like they are rejuvenated. Pedro bringing in Bates and Beerman who have both looked comfortable, especially Beerman. The latter has looked impressive going forward and at the back. It will be interesting to see if Wallace is an automatic shoe in when he is fit? The former of those two looked a little nervous when he first came into the side, as you would expect, and has grown in confidence with the help of Wilson. Danny Wilson is only 25 and I feel as if he is much older. He has been around for a long time since his exit for Liverpool and he is beginning to look like the player he clearly believes he is. It could indeed be the extra responsibility of having young Bates beside him. Having said all that, should Hill be fit on Sunday, I would probably hope he comes back in although that is no slight on Bates who I would hope would play in the league match the following week. Another player I would like to see play on Sunday would be Hodson at right back, this would of course give us the option of Tavernier in midfield which has worked very well in the past.

Our defence is looking better and clean underwear has not been a half time requirement in recent weeks! In addition the midfield of Holt, Hyndman and Toral have looked a tight unit. Toral sitting back, Holt doing the groundwork and Hyndman going forward. Taking all this into account it looks like Wes in Goal. The defence and midfield may be Hodson, Hill, Wilson and Beerman with our usual Midfield three of Holt, Hyndman and Toral joined by Tavernier. I would then have Miller playing just off either Waghorn or Garner up front. I would suspect PC may plump for Waggy as we need to keep eleven on the park! This side has proven it has the belief and fortitude to mix it and perform under pressure since PC’s arrival. We have been written off by the usual media farmyard sycophants and let’s hope we use this as motivation.

I woke up this morning to hear the sad passing of former Rangers player Ugo Ehiogu suddenly at the age of 44. Many bears will remember him for the incredible overhead kick he scored and although only a brief spell at the club I’m sure everyone’s thoughts are with his family and friends at this very sad time. Life is very short and can be very cruel, it puts football into perspective however at the same time reminds us to cherish moments such as this semi-final on Sunday.

Pedro impresses me greatly, I have a passion for body language and find myself continually analysing people. His manner oozes confidence and I can only deduce at present this is transferring onto the players and installing their new found confidence, purpose and belief. He believes 100% in himself, his methods and the message he is conveying. There is a determination about him to succeed, an arrogance and a confidence that we are all beginning to understand. His style, passion and honesty have been refreshing to witness and listen too. What a way to finish your entrance into our great club with taking your side and our club to the final in May. An entrance to our game befitting of the showman he undeniable is. Let’s hope we are all celebrating come final whistle on Sunday Pedro!

C’mon Eh Bears!

Edited by cooponthewing

Your first mank game there coop - I'd a mate who was a cop. Every time they worked a match his group were assigned to stand on the track. No turning around to see the game. That match they got detailed to the Govan rear which pleased him no end.

Just as the teams took the pitch a sergeant said, "Those 2 are pissed. Jail them."

He took the 2 arrested guys to the police room under the Main Stand and got delayed there for the whole match. He never saw a ball kicked. :D2

Pedro Caixinha pleased Celtic skipper Scott Brown is free to face Rangers at Hampden

That's what we expect and we are glad also that Scott Brown can play in this match.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15236879.Pedro_Caixinha_pleased_Celtic_skipper_Sco tt_Brown_is_free_to_face_Rangers_at_Hampden/

:laugh:

Edited by ian1964

Thanks Coop I enjoyed reading that. I have said a few times my first ever old firm game was remembered for the wrong reason. It was the Ibrox disaster game. Thankfully I was only allowed to go because I could use my uncles season ticket for the main stand otherwise I would probably have been on stairway 13.

I also went to a Rangers v Celtic game standing in the Celtic end as i went with my sisters boyfriend(later husband) and his brother who were\are Celtic supporters. Rangers won 3-0 that day but I didn't dare to cheer and my sisters boyfriends arm was blue with me squeezing it trying not to start jumping up and down. It was funny hearing the tim support getting a Gerszumping.:D

Good read.

My first OF game was at Hampden, the season they played their home games at Hampden in 94-95. This was good as means Ive yet to step foot into Parkhead. And what a first experience it was with a 3-1 win. A double from Hateley and Laudrups goal at the end. We had a few injuries that day and a few of the players were sitting a few rows behind me (Durrant, Durie, Brown). It was Alan McLarens debut.

Lets hope the injury to Foderingham is false.

I have no idea what to expect from Pedro but I see him taking on the Bull here and its going to be interesting, he certainly doesnt seem to be Mourinho-esk and the type to shut up shop. So I wonder if the likes of Windass and McKay will feature or Dodoo. But perhaps the latter may be better off the bench.

As its a cup game I wont have it on TV so will be checking Rangers TV again and I'll pay for the match again as I enjoyed it 2 weeks ago and will sign up for the season next year.

Id probably play this team but not fully sure what formation Id set out

Foderingham

Tavernier Hill Wilson Beerman

Holt

Windass Toral Hyndman

Miller Waghorn

Edited by Gribz