[FT] Celtic 2 - 0 Rangers

I was travelling so couldn't watch this but from the radio it seemed horrendous. I'm pretty glad I missed it!

I notice there was an absolutely huge pro-IRA banner again, im sure this will be all over the papers in the same manner as the pretty distasteful one about Martin McGuinness.

Which begs the question - why was he on the bench?

Probably because there's not exactly a queue of candidates even for warming the bench as the case of Senderos proved a few weeks back against Motherwell.

It's a stomach or rib injury. That Halliday started just goes to show how shallow our pool of midfield talent is.

Edit: Sorry, thought you were saying I was a member of a group who had decided to think this way, not that there were people agreeing with what I said. (Which I am now presuming was the intent)

Trying to get back to football:

"And a lot of players making the wrong decision or managing to hit the only thing that stopped them from scoring." - yes, that's right. It isn't ill luck, it is bad play! That's what I have been saying while you have been calling it "ill luck". Thank you for now agreeing that it is: "a lot of players making the wrong decision or managing to hit the only thing that stopped them from scoring".

Is that alternative reading that you are trying here? The above has as much to do with the end result as getting some breaks. Throughout the season, we suffered the above as well as hardly getting any breaks. All are variables that gets you results and I'm not saying that we lost today or before solely of ill luck.

Posted by Craig

You are trying to look at luck in isolation to us. But it doesn't work like that.

Read again.

Edited by der Berliner

Edit: Sorry, thought you were saying I was a member of a group who had decided to think this way, not that there were people agreeing with what I said. (Which I am now presuming was the intent)

Trying to get back to football:

"And a lot of players making the wrong decision or managing to hit the only thing that stopped them from scoring." - yes, that's right. It isn't ill luck, it is bad play! That's what I have been saying while you have been calling it "ill luck". Thank you for now agreeing that it is: "a lot of players making the wrong decision or managing to hit the only thing that stopped them from scoring".

As the song says ".....When it comes to luck you make your own......":ninja:

Well, that's about our level against them. We're basically 2-0 behind them in the big picture. Or in alternative parlance, £40 million.

You'll hear no complaint against Dave King from me. He's a Rangers man like all of us on here. But let's be honest, without the requisite investment in playing staff, we are basically another Hearts.

Tom English made a pertinent point on the wireless today. He was talking about how when Old Firm fixtures come round, people still assume that Rangers should be expecting to match Celtic. Yes, maybe in 2011, but look at us and them top to bottom and we're basically another Hearts, i.e. will put up a fight and maybe beat them once every couple of seasons, and win a trophy or two every ten years with a bit of luck. And before I get the usual about being a pessimist, let's hear the evidence to the contrary.

We can absolutely beat them, just as long as they don't find third gear. For their second goal today they did exactly what we did time and again to Tommy Burns' teams: five minutes of pressure in the final third, they get it straight up the park, penalty, goal, game over.

With that said, it's not Caixinha's or the players' fault. They do what they can with what they have, and I thought the second half brought yet another reminder of what a sad day for the club it will be when Kenny Miller calls it a day.

If King is serious about this, he should give Caixinha free f*cking reign in the summer. A lot of that team needs sold. And I'm sorry, but either I've been blind these last couple of years or Barrie McKay simply doesn't have what it takes to be a Rangers player.

Well, that's about our level against them. We're basically 2-0 behind them in the big picture. Or in alternative parlance, £40 million.

You'll hear no complaint against Dave King from me. He's a Rangers man like all of us on here. But let's be honest, without the requisite investment in playing staff, we are basically another Hearts.

Tom English made a pertinent point on the wireless today. He was talking about how when Old Firm fixtures come round, people still assume that Rangers should be expecting to match Celtic. Yes, maybe in 2011, but look at us and them top to bottom and we're basically another Hearts, i.e. will put up a fight and maybe beat them once every couple of seasons, and win a trophy or two every ten years with a bit of luck. And before I get the usual about being a pessimist, let's hear the evidence to the contrary.

We can absolutely beat them, just as long as they don't find third gear. For their second goal today they did exactly what we did time and again to Tommy Burns' teams: five minutes of pressure in the final third, they get it straight up the park, penalty, goal, game over.

With that said, it's not Caixinha's or the players' fault. They do what they can with what they have, and I thought the second half brought yet another reminder of what a sad day for the club it will be when Kenny Miller calls it a day.

If King is serious about this, he should give Caixinha free f*cking reign in the summer. A lot of that team needs sold. And I'm sorry, but either I've been blind these last couple of years or Barrie McKay simply doesn't have what it takes to be a Rangers player.

Hearts are better run,

we've paid 10M this season on wages to a team adrift of aberdeen let alone celtc.

Well I thought it was a penalty, I still don't think we deserved much from that match tbh. We were poor and they were better.

It may well have been - as I said previously, I have seen two camera angles and from one it seems a definite penalty and from the other it wasn't. - but my point is that the ref could not see it from either of those angles, however. He couldn't see through the player to see when the contact with the ball was made. The ref couldn't give it and the linesman didn't give it. Don Robertson gave it and regardless of whether it was or was not, that is highly unusual.

Of course we didn't deserve anything. However, that could have changed things. We were looking better and that ended that spell

Now that I've seen the replays I am in no doubt that it WAS a penalty.

From the camera behind the goal it looks like he takes the ball as his legs sweep across but that angle is deceptive because you can't see the space between his legs and the ball. When you see it from the side it is clear that he takes the Celtic players ankle, so it is a foul and a penalty kick.

The officials were correct regardless of how they arrived at the decision.

We have long bemoaned the apparent lack of involvement of the 4th and 5th officials; so I don't see how we can complain if they help out the referee if his view is obscured (even if it goes against us). However, based on the camera replays I would have thought that the linesman, sorry assistant referee, was better placed to make the decision.