Regardless of tomorrow's result...

I would need to watch it again to be sure and I do think it was offside by the players position but Dutch television brought up it was only offside if the Ref judged them to be influencing his play. i won't argue until i have seen it again.

I'm not arguing pete - but it would take a hell of a lot of convincing to suggest that he "wasn't influencing play". It was his volley that came off the post to Casemiro to score - there is absolutely no way in the world that anyone could legitimately suggest he wasn't an active player influencing play.

IMO Messi is the best player this world has ever seen (by miles) and is unfairly judged on his International record (ie. Not winning a World Cup) in a time when no one gives a damn about the International Game.

He is up there of all timers but Maradona was still better. I cant imagine how good Maradona would be playing now on carpet pitches and with the tackling rules tightened.

I wonder if Messi would be as effective say in Valencia or Sevilles team - probably would but the point being Maradona went to Napoli who werent the biggest side in the league and won them 2 titles. Imagine how good he would have been in that AC Milan side of the late 80s.

Edited by Gribz

We are going way way way off course here - but FWIW Messi is the best to ever play the game.

He's definitely better than Zidane, as good as Zidane was. Messi can do things with the ball that Zidane could only dream about. And I suspect even Zizou would admit to that.

We are going way way way off course here - but FWIW Messi is the best to ever play the game.

He's definitely better than Zidane, as good as Zidane was. Messi can do things with the ball that Zidane could only dream about. And I suspect even Zizou would admit to that.

Think we have a thread about the best ever. And this can be moved over if needed but its a good debate. Its a generation thing also, and I always think people should decide of who they have seen and not by reputation. Example Pele goes down by a lot as the best but I couldnt possibly comment as only seen clips.

Messi has joined the elite IMO though, he has surpassed Zidane who makes my top 3. Maradona out on his own then Messi followed by Zidane.

Edited by Gribz

It's difficult to compare eras but I don't believe Messi would have close to the influence he is today if he'd played in the 90s or before. Put simply he'd have been kicked senseless in those days. The protection players get today allows guys like Messi to flourish, and that's a great thing, but if you watch some of the stuff players like Maradona put up with when they were playing you'd really question if Messi is physically capable of taking that kind of punishment. If Maradona had played in an era where you could barely tackle far less foul your opponents he'd have been literally unstoppable.

Anyway, I've still got my doubts about our manager, I've seen nothing to make me change my mind on his appointment. Not yet at least.