Christophe Berra: Defender leaving Ipswich Town to move closer to Scotland

I say we should take him, and heres my reasoning....

The only clubs who'll be able to afford him / appealing enough for him are Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers which means we wouldn't need to offer a big contract, just something that matches what the others are offering.. With that, he gets to join the most likely challengers to Celtic, the best training facilities and playing in front of 50k every other week.

For us:

- We would get a better standard CB than the others in the league with the exception of Celtic.

- We need a bigger squad if we manage to have a half decent European cup run.

- He will be paid less than Hill, Senderos and probably even Kiernan but, with the exception of Hill, is better than the other two in my opinion.

I would by no means want him as a starting CB, but I think he would provide decent cover for injuries and fatigue for very good value, but of course, thats just my opinion :slinger:

Berra isn't a bad defender but he'll be signing for Hearts.

I'd rather we signed someone with a bit of pace at centre half as that's something we don't really have. Kiernan is reasonably quick but unreliable.

Would have scoffed at this suggestion a few years ago but not now. If he can even get into the Scotland squad and play in the English championship then he must be far better than Wilson, Hill & Kiernan. Similar situation to when celtic signed Craig Gordon last year. Decent value so worth a punt.