John Gilligan steps down

I don't know the bloke from Adam but some say he's just what the Board needs and some say he shouldn't be within a mile of it. Who to believe? And why has he gone?

A proper died in the wool fan and a generous hearted guy. I believe an incident took place at the last OF game when he was leaving the box and things got a bit heated with a fan dishing out abuse. That may have been that last straw for him as he's no youngster any more.

[On John Gilligan stepping down] Dave King, stated: “After regime change, it was necessary to compile a board who recognised the magnitude of the challenge facing the club and who had the passion and commitment to drive the club’s agenda forward against the obstacles that faced us at that time.

“When I approached John to assist with the rebuilding exercise he unhesitatingly agreed to do so, despite the challenges this would demand of his time given his other extensive business, social and family commitments.

“After years of tireless effort, lobbying, and campaigning to turn Rangers’ fortunes around, John has taken the decision to step down knowing that much of what was required post regime change has already been achieved and that the outstanding requirements have been clearly identified by the board, who have the necessary action plans in place.

“John would now like to concentrate on business and family life, as well as simply being a fan again.

“John is one of the most passionate Rangers fans I have ever known. He brought a great deal to the boardroom table and was never slow to question decisions, or courses of action if he thought there were better options. John always put the interests of supporters first.

“On behalf of the entire board of directors and Rangers supporters everywhere, I would like to thank John for his unflinching support, wisdom and commitment. He is a true Rangers fan.”

A proper died in the wool fan and a generous hearted guy. I believe an incident took place at the last OF game when he was leaving the box and things got a bit heated with a fan dishing out abuse. That may have been that last straw for him as he's no youngster any more.

I heard Gilligan was totally out of order in his reaction and had to be restrained. That's not too say that the fan also wasn't out order. It was noticeable that there was a steward standing just behind the directors box during the last couple of games.

I guess it's possible that the resignation was fallout from that incident, which would be a shame.

I don't know the bloke from Adam but some say he's just what the Board needs and some say he shouldn't be within a mile of it. Who to believe? And why has he gone?

And the truth is probably that neither have any real idea one way or t'other.

As I said on the other thread, I think we sometimes look for a story when it's not there. It is tough being on the board of a company which is always under scrutiny by the media, customers, regulators/industry bodies, or all of the above. Maybe he just wanted his life back. You can't blame him. He deserves thanks for all his hard work though.

Good luck to him he stood up in our hour of need and I believe he did a good job whilst in post it's sad that there are so many snipers as we have enough from elsewhere gunning for us.

Enjoy being a fan again john and thanks.