Club1872 become 2nd biggest shareholder as Mike Ashley leaves the building

AFAIK the database is in the hundreds of thousands.

When I requested a copy of the data Rangers held on me under the Data Protection Act it came back with 7 different Rangers numbers for me.

I'm on the Man City database and receive emails from them 2 or 3 times a week simply because I've been to concerts at the Etihad, same with Wembley and the England supporters. I'm on the Nottingham Forest database because I bought a strip online for my mates grandson.

This is from the prospectus for the IPO.

If Green & Co could have included the 8 million fairy tale in there they would have but they couldn't because it's pure and utter fantasy. He may well have got away with it at private meetings on his world tour to flog the shares but he couldn't get away with it in an official offer document.

These numbers are definitely subjective to say the least! Think it was Real Madrid that claimed something crazy like 100m. Just because a wee guy has a Real Madrid strip doesn't actually make him a Real Madrid fan but at the end of the day they still get money from them so they are supporters of the club I suppose. Sales are sales at the end of the day

As you say think Rangers are no different from anyone else and the numbers are hard to get even close to precise especially when the definition of fan can be so loose. My friend was over recently from the Phillipines and must have spent over £100 on going to two matches ,meal and drink at Ibrox and the tour. He's probably down on a list somewhere but is he really a fan?

As far as supporters clubs go would say we have far more than Celtic worldwide. Have had the pleasure of going to a few far and wide, it's amazing how many weird places one can pop up.Celtic like to go on about the Boston connection and Irish Americans and things like that but there is a big difference from Irish bars to Celtic bars. A bit like saying Maine is predominantly prodestant so they must be Rangers fans in every bar?

Have always wanted to collate a list of every Rangers bar/club in the world would love to see it and start counting them off

5m was definitely in the prospective though. If I remember right the first paragraph or so describing the club and its potential. It's been present before too in documentation from the club I've had. Not sure how freedom of information requests work but would be interesting to see how many Rangers numbers have been given out since conception. Obviously would need to subtract an error percentage though as you say most people probably have multiple but it's probably the closest you could ever get to an official number

These numbers are definitely subjective to say the least! Think it was Real Madrid that claimed something crazy like 100m. Just because a wee guy has a Real Madrid strip doesn't actually make him a Real Madrid fan but at the end of the day they still get money from them so they are supporters of the club I suppose. Sales are sales at the end of the day

As you say think Rangers are no different from anyone else and the numbers are hard to get even close to precise especially when the definition of fan can be so loose. My friend was over recently from the Phillipines and must have spent over £100 on going to two matches ,meal and drink at Ibrox and the tour. He's probably down on a list somewhere but is he really a fan?

As far as supporters clubs go would say we have far more than Celtic worldwide. Have had the pleasure of going to a few far and wide, it's amazing how many weird places one can pop up.Celtic like to go on about the Boston connection and Irish Americans and things like that but there is a big difference from Irish bars to Celtic bars. A bit like saying Maine is predominantly prodestant so they must be Rangers fans in every bar?

Have always wanted to collate a list of every Rangers bar/club in the world would love to see it and start counting them off

5m was definitely in the prospective though. If I remember right the first paragraph or so describing the club and its potential. It's been present before too in documentation from the club I've had. Not sure how freedom of information requests work but would be interesting to see how many Rangers numbers have been given out since conception. Obviously would need to subtract an error percentage though as you say most people probably have multiple but it's probably the closest you could ever get to an official number

Again from the prospectus.

The Club’s capacity for commercial activities in addition to gate receipts

The Rangers Group has an advanced Customer Relationship Management system, enabling it to

capitalise on its worldwide database of over 715,000 registered fans. With over 170,000 active

email subscribers and nearly 165,000 active mobile numbers, the Directors believe that there is

scope for the Company to utilise this database more efficiently. In addition, the RFCL Group and

the Rangers Group benefit from significant retail operations and hospitality facilities, which the

Directors expect to significantly enhance the financial performance of the Company. Further

information on the RFCL Group’s and the Rangers Group’s commercial activities is described in

more detail below

Media opportunities

The Directors believe that the modern digital age presents significant opportunities for the Company.

The Club’s official website, Rangers.co.uk is managed internally and averages over 800,000 monthly

visits, with over 437,000 unique users per month, making it the highest ranking website in

Scottish Football, the fifth highest in UK club football and 932nd in the UK Website Rank. In

addition, the Club has over 280,000 Facebook followers, since going live in July 2011. Separately,

the RFCL Group has negotiated the ability to broadcast matches overseas. Taking these things

together, the Directors believe that the combination of the Club’s brand and modern media create

significant financial opportunities for the Company, which have been underutilised in the past.

The only time 5,000,000 is mentioned in the prospectus is in regards to Charles Green's share options.

Again from the prospectus.

The only time 5,000,000 is mentioned in the prospectus is in regards to Charles Green's share options.

Could have swore it was in it before.

Each Rangers number buys more than one ticket per game though. Like mine buys minimum two( me and the Mrs) but only one number.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130108053201/http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/490/

On phone and away the now but quick google search brings up this report from 2013 estimates 1.43m

From 2017 all I can see is reports from CIES who say we are the 18th largest support in Europe due to average attendance.

Edited by trublusince1982

I am sure there are millions who have a soft heart for Rangers across the world but those who actually physically play a role in supporting is obviously a lot lot lot less.

• 2 weeks later...

Club 1872 Welcomes Surge in Support

Dear member,

Club 1872 is pleased to announce that following our share purchase two weeks ago, which made us the second largest shareholder in RIFC, we have seen a significant number of new members joining the organisation.

We have added approximately 700 new donating members and seen many previous members reactivating their donations following time away from Club 1872.

Euan MacFarlane from the Club 1872 Membership and Fan Engagement working group said:

"It has been a really exciting few weeks for Club 1872 and its members.

We've been delighted to see significant increases in new and rejoining members and it is vital we maintain and build on this momentum.

Our Fan Engagement group are working with the board to communicate an events roadmap including meeting our supporters clubs, engaging with lapsed members as well as increasing our presence on match days.

We look forward to sharing the long term vision for the organisation and the upcoming projects with prospective members.

Hopefully the broader Rangers support who have been pleased with the recent share purchase and stability at board room level will give serious consideration to joining us."

We will shortly communicate further with current members on how they can help these efforts and will be contacting lapsed members to encourage them to return to Club 1872 as we look to grow further. Sign-up events begin this week, and we would welcome contact from supporters clubs, community groups and anyone else who would be interested in participating in this kind of event.

Club 1872