Rangers forward Thomas Buffel will not return to first-team action until next season after recovering from injury.

The 26-year-old Belgium international has been out since February with a knee problem which required surgery.

Rangers boss Walter Smith told the club's website: "It will be next season before he is playing again and back with us in the squad."

Buffel, who joined Rangers from Feyenoord for �£2.5m two years ago, almost joined Hannover in January.

Smith told Rangers' website: "Thomas is coming along well. He had the operation on his knee in Belgium and spent some time there recuperating.

"But he will be back training with us at Murray Park later this week and continue his rehabilitation."

Smith granted Buffel permission to talk to Hannover about a possible move to the Bundesliga club when he succeeded Paul Le Guen as Rangers boss.

But Buffel failed to agree personal terms with the German club and he remained at Ibrox.

Mmm, not sure if he will be with us next season. I actually hope he is as I still think he is one player who has skill, pace and can create many chances for us IF he is used properly.

He is prone to hide too much. I thought he would be a good buy when he came as he is an excellent player on his game. We need players that will stand up and be counted when the going gets tough, Thomas just won't do that. If we could mix Nacho and Buffel together we would have a great player. I would rather have a fighter with a touch less skill.

I think Buffel could still do a job for us and why not have Buffel and Nacho playing, Novo can always be up front or right wing and Buffel can play behind the two strikers.

Yeah Novo on the right and Buffel in behind Boyd :thup:

To be honest i didnt even know he was injured, i thought he was just dropped.

But even when he has played he has been very poor, which if frustrating because as we have seen in the past he has bags of skill.

I'd be surprised if he wasnt moved on in the summer.

The annoying thing is that there is very little chance of selling him in the summer, and even then only for a pittance - if only he had moved to Hanover in January.

I'm getting pretty sick of this guy.

The annoying thing is that there is very little chance of selling him in the summer, and even then only for a pittance - if only he had moved to Hanover in January.

I'm getting pretty sick of this guy.

Thats the annoying thing about this scenario, can we afford to keep a player who is very inconsistent or do we let him leave for a fraction of the price he is worth. Id say Buffel is easy a 2 million pound player but if we sell him he will go for a quarter of that

Id say Buffel is easy a 2 million pound player.

Id say he WAS a �£2m player, in fact he was probably a �£4m player for a while, but not this season. I think we'll get over a million for him but not much more.