[FT] Progres Niederkorn 2 - 0 Rangers

part-time Progres have 10 new signings,let that sink in.

And no matter how far we throw the toys out of the prams, such rubbish happens. Especially in pre-season. It is part of football and you wonder how many of those saying that was the worst in their history of following Rangers have selective memories. Anyway, emotions will run high for a while.

Meanwhile ... as the Rangers Observer noticed ... pictures can be utterly deceiving if taken alone, like the first one was yesterday ...

uudasc7i.jpg

3gumr77u.jpg

Edited by der Berliner

Just watched Pedro's after match interview.

''.....ONCE IN A LIFE TIME RESULT'' Fuck off Pedro,myself and others on here remember ''TWICE IN A LIFETIME''. Berwick Rangers.

He probably spoke about himself and his experience? And, BTW, we lost to "pub-teams" from Scotland at Ibrox a few seasons back ...

Anyway, watch Rossiter's interview and you know how disappointed this lad (and his fellows) is in letting us down.

Just watched Pedro's after match interview.

''.....ONCE IN A LIFE TIME RESULT'' Fuck off Pedro,myself and others on here remember ''TWICE IN A LIFETIME''. Berwick Rangers.

Berwick was actually much more shocking because we had a wonderful team then. We were a force to be reckoned with against all comers in Europe - we beat the very elite (CWC holders) that very year and came so close to winning another CWC with another "harder than any European Cup selection of fixtures".

For Berwick, the team were over confident and stayed up the night before playing cards (presumably not drinking mineral water), while disparaging the upcoming game, until mid-morning according to Bud in some book or another. Even then............shocking beyond words. A minister warned against suicide in his service soon thereafter....We imploded as a club, made stupid decisions. Helped them to their 9-in-a-row. Yes it all sounds familiar but back then we were coming from a position of strength not form a club illegally demoted, robbed of all assets and hamstrung ever since.

Btw, I also remember being at Ibrox as we lost to Stenhousemuir, were gubbed by St Mirren (4-1 was it? Horrible night, Colin Stein booed ferociously - and, sadly, deservedly) and then there was Chesterfield.

And yet, and yet, having said all that - a team that's never won a Euro tie, hardly ever scored a goal and never two..........dear God it takes some effort to comprehend.

PS I've said it before here but I'll re-iterate it, as it is important in context - the Rangers team that lost to Berwick is the finest Rangers team I can remember seeing. We've not reached those heights since if you take them vis-a-vis the rest of Europe. 92 probably comes closest. Nearly all Scots in both cases - couldn't do that in the modern world, of course. We were pretty big noises in 67 and we lost to diddies. We are now diddies and lost to even diddier diddies. It's horrific but it's nowhere near the same shock if you look beyond our name and history and see what has happened to Scottish football in general and the mismanagement and subsequent criminal attacks on us over the last decade.

Edited by SteveC

And no matter how far we throw the toys out of the prams, such rubbish happens. Especially in pre-season. It is part of football and you wonder how many of those saying that was the worst in their history of following Rangers have selective memories. Anyway, emotions will run high for a while.

Meanwhile ... as the Rangers Observer noticed ... pictures can be utterly deceiving if taken alone, like the first one was yesterday ...

uudasc7i.jpg

3gumr77u.jpg

Back to the substance,the result. I remember Berwick in '67 only to well the aftermath and retribution by a board against those deemed to have failed The Rangers,from Scot Symon down.

Last night was worse the all time worst result,seems standards are a lot lower within the club now and we just move on to the next low with no action to rectify matters, like employing a proven manager.

This was always going to be a potential "banana skin" for us, even moreso when you see how we finished the season and all the new players coming in - plus the fact we started the first leg with a few players who I don't think will be here much longer.

The optimist in me hopes its nothing more than that and the players just need some more time, plus adding a couple more quality players will make a difference.

The realist/pessimist in me wonders if Pedro will be here in a few months time.

The Limmassol game was the banana skin.

Last night should never have been on the cards whatsoever. There is just no excuse for it.

Were you confident though Frankie? After that first leg, I really thought the writing was on the wall for us and genuinely wasn't that surprised with how things went...

Different personnel, same old problems - slack defending, poor finishing & all round lacklustre performance.

There seemed to be a distinct lack of the forwards to attempt shots on goal. There was a spell at the end where Windass had the ball in the box, in what looked at good position & the commentator was screaming for him to shoot. Instead he opted to pass to someone else and the whole thing fell apart.

I have never been one to blame the manager & I ain't gonna start now.....IMHO, the biggest blame lays at the feet of the players. I don't believe that PC's instructions were to go out & play in such a pi55-poor manner.

Regardless of whether it's technically still pre-season or not, given the level of players we have & the wages they are being paid, sweeping Progres aside should NOT have been a problem.

Giving them some credit, they were well organised & generally played well. The defended strongly & took their chances when they came up.....but we are RANGERS, and the sooner these players realise that, the better.

Would be interesting to see some of the team analysis from the game wrt distance covered, passes completed etc. I think it would make some grim reading.

So what next....New manager?? I don't think so. Constantly changing the management team would be just as detrimental to performance as plowing on. PC must be given a chance to prove that HIS players have what it takes to succeed. I t could have been argued that at the end of last season, he was working with MW's duds...well now he has recruited (at considerable expense) his own choice of players, so must be given the chance to get them working.

Posted on the other thread , sky are reporting there is a potential issue with one of their players and a banned substance , didn't see the whole report though