[FT] Progres Niederkorn 2 - 0 Rangers

Meanwhile brain dead ex players spout shite. WTF has losing in Luxembourg got to do with "the ferocity of Scottish football"? The signings he is talking about haven't yet played in "Scottish football":

http://talksport.com/football/rangers-need-more-brits-former-midfielder-ray-wilkins-reacts-absolutely-disgraceful-europa

Niederkorn

Play

Current Time 0:03

/

Duration Time 6:44

Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%0:03

Fullscreen

00:00

Mute

Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha

By talkSPORT - @talkSPORT

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Former Rangers star Ray Wilkins has slammed the current Gers stars for their ‘absolutely disgraceful’ Europa League exit to Luxembourg minnows Progres Niederkorn.

The Glasgow club won the first-leg of their qualifying tie 1-0 at the Ibrox, but slipped to a 2-0 away defeat to lose 2-1 on aggregate.

They were beaten by a club who had won none of their previous 13 games in Europe, scoring one goal and conceding 41 in the process.

The result has been branded by some as the most embarrassing in British football history, and Wilkins believes the influx of foreign players at Rangers is largely to blame.

Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Wilkins said: “It’s absolutely disgraceful. You can’t be knocked out at this stage

“A club with the stature of Glasgow Rangers going out to a side from Luxembourg, it’s atrocious.”

Portuguese boss Pedro Caixinha has brought seven overseas players to the club since his appointment in March, and Wilkins believes a more British core is key to the club turning around their fortunes.

“For me, the manager has brought in too many foreign players,” he added.

“For me, it’s Brits, it’s Brits all the way. It’s the same in the Championship – if you can get good Brits in the Championship then you’ve got a good chance of getting up into the Premier League.

“Rangers have brought in a lot of foreign people who don’t quite understand the ferocity of Scottish football.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/rangers-need-more-brits-former-midfielder-ray-wilkins-reacts-absolutely-disgraceful-europa#bDcVwq2eyxAQWhZU.99

there were 8 Brits in that squad last night

a player is either good or bad , nationality is irrelevant

although he's spot on here

“It’s absolutely disgraceful. You can’t be knocked out at this stage

“A club with the stature of Glasgow Rangers going out to a side from Luxembourg, it’s atrocious.”

Too many so called experts emerge from the floorboards when these thing happen and irrespective of it being Rangers I find that the television giants now devalue the sporting part of the game.

Well I have left this until now as I have been far too angry to put into words what I witnessed in Luxembourg last night. I'm not much calmer now to be honest but here goes.

Our opponents made one tactical change from last week, they doubled up on Nico when he got the ball. That in effect negated all of our attacking options. I dont understand why we played a back 4, and two holding midfielders who hardly ever crossed the halfway line. Add in the keeper and you have 7 out of 11 that are not involved in our attacking play, against a 10 man defence.

Even amateurs will be fairly confident of 10 beating 4.

Of our attacking 4, Nico was double teamed and none of his teammates were in good enough positions to allow him to play quick passes before the double marking got to him. If anyone can tell me where Miller was supposed to be playing I would be grateful. Candeias and Dalcio put together are about 25% of a Barrie McKay on a bad day. Neither beat a man all night, nor contributed one good cross from their very wide positions, that in itself were no help to either Nico or Morelos. Morelos had virtually no supply all night, but I didnt see too many good runs off the ball or a desire to get involved.

The subs were just a re-hash of the failures they replaced. Our play was predictable, boring, sluggish, lacking in fight, desire or ability, and we were saying after about 15 minutes that all it would take was one mistake and we could be eliminated.

I have seen some defence of last night (better than what was on show on the park!) that mentions the early part of the season, new players, etc. I understand Progres are at the exact same stage in their pre-season as us, and are trying to blend in 10 new players into their side. So both those arguments are invalid.

Our side have a real problem with fight and desire, and a real confidence problem as well. As soon as we get into trouble we hide, bottle it and lose. The 5-1 capitulation to the enemy at Ibrox 2-3 months ago should have seen Pedro removed IMO as it was totally unacceptable how the side set up and played. Those of a more forgiving nature told us it wasnt his team but together with his completely unimpressive CV and lack of improvement he got out the side, it was a huge gamble to give him a huge transfer budget instead of resetting the clock and starting again.

Pedro got all his first picks we are told, so it was his side. Pena is in full training and must be as fit as anyone else and needing games. As his biggest outlay purchase, I dont understand why he has failed to make even the bench in two games. I dont expect much if he is like the other purchases.

I got it confirmed pre-game yesterday that every single purchase we have made under Pedro has come from the exact same agency. Every single one. We accused MW of doing the same thing with his English duds, but Pedro has done the very same, but at a more expensive level.

It is without doubt the worst result in our 145 year history. It was not a one-off like Berwick, it was a second leg of a European match, and we got the warning last week of how our opponents would play, and their pedigree is the worst side we have ever played in competitive action. If the manager doesnt quit after overseeing the worst result in our famous history, then what will it take for him to walk? Or is it all about the pay-off (again!)?

Just watched Pedro's after match interview.

''.....ONCE IN A LIFE TIME RESULT'' Fuck off Pedro,myself and others on here remember ''TWICE IN A LIFETIME''. Berwick Rangers.

Depends on your lifetime..... I wasn't alive for Berwick Rangers so it IS once in a lifetime.... for me at least :D

Meanwhile brain dead ex players spout shite. WTF has losing in Luxembourg got to do with "the ferocity of Scottish football"? The signings he is talking about haven't yet played in "Scottish football":

http://talksport.com/football/rangers-need-more-brits-former-midfielder-ray-wilkins-reacts-absolutely-disgraceful-europa

Niederkorn

Play

Current Time 0:03

/

Duration Time 6:44

Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%0:03

Fullscreen

00:00

Mute

Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha

By talkSPORT - @talkSPORT

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Former Rangers star Ray Wilkins has slammed the current Gers stars for their ‘absolutely disgraceful’ Europa League exit to Luxembourg minnows Progres Niederkorn.

The Glasgow club won the first-leg of their qualifying tie 1-0 at the Ibrox, but slipped to a 2-0 away defeat to lose 2-1 on aggregate.

They were beaten by a club who had won none of their previous 13 games in Europe, scoring one goal and conceding 41 in the process.

The result has been branded by some as the most embarrassing in British football history, and Wilkins believes the influx of foreign players at Rangers is largely to blame.

Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Wilkins said: “It’s absolutely disgraceful. You can’t be knocked out at this stage

Portuguese boss Pedro Caixinha has brought seven overseas players to the club since his appointment in March, and Wilkins believes a more British core is key to the club turning around their fortunes.

“For me, the manager has brought in too many foreign players,” he added.

“For me, it’s Brits, it’s Brits all the way. It’s the same in the Championship – if you can get good Brits in the Championship then you’ve got a good chance of getting up into the Premier League.

“Rangers have brought in a lot of foreign people who don’t quite understand the ferocity of Scottish football.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/rangers-need-more-brits-former-midfielder-ray-wilkins-reacts-absolutely-disgraceful-europa#bDcVwq2eyxAQWhZU.99

Is Wilkins back on the beer ?

Whilst I have great respect for him as both a player and a coach his way of thinking is absolutely prehistoric.

How many English teams succeed in Europe or in their league competition with "Brits, Brits all the way" ?? Answer, zero.

We aren't in the Championship, we are in the top flight and (were) in Europe - so we need better than just Brits in the team and squad.

His analysis is terrible.

The guy that scored took a banned substance for asthma at his previous club. He apparently didn't get permission from UEFA to play, but Progres say they are confident that it will be given retrospectively.

If he was temp banned from playing football until the whole thing had been sorted, then he was temp banned and should not have played. It doesn't matter if UEFA turn round in September at the hearing and say yes, its fine, he could have played.

Having said that I wouldn't want the result to be changed as we deserved to get put out!, but our board may see it different?

Edited by ian1964

We aren't in the Championship, we are in the top flight and (were) in Europe - so we need better than just Brits in the team and squad.

His analysis is terrible.

Or we need better Brits.

If he was temp banned from playing football until the whole thing had been sorted, then he was temp banned and should not have played. It doesn't matter if UEFA turn round in September at the hearing and say yes, its fine, he could have played.

Having said that I wouldn't want the result to be changed as we deserved to get put out!, but our board may see it different?

Don't think he was banned. It's a banned substance he was found guilty of taking in a Luxembourg league game in May. The asthma drug. The Luxembourg doping authority declared positive tests on June 17th. Niedercorn should have declared his use of this drug which presumably also enhances performances and got approval to play him before the game (I assume he was taking it before the Ibrox game too). Whilst we lost primarily because we were sh**te I suspect if we knocked out a superior club and we had the offending player then their officials would want to get to the bottom of it. When did he take it? What dosage? Doctors evidence? UEFA rules that are applicable? Sanctions that are applicable?

We should be treated the same as any other club irrespective of the fact we are an embarrassment and don't deserve to go through.

Edited by Walterbear

Don't think he was banned. It's a banned substance he was found guilty of taking in a Luxembourg league game in May. The asthma drug. The Luxembourg doping authority declared positive tests on June 17th. Niedercorn should have declared his use of this drug which presumably also enhances performances and got approval to play him before the game (I assume he was taking it before the Ibrox game too). Whilst we lost primarily because we were sh**te I suspect if we knocked out a superior club and we had the offending player then their officials would want to get to the bottom of it. When did he take it? What dosage? Doctors evidence? UEFA rules that are applicable? Sanctions that are applicable?

We should be treated the same as any other club irrespective of the fact we are an embarrassment and don't deserve to go through.

Nothing to do with what we deserve or don't deserve. Was this guy eligible to play ?