[FT] Progres Niederkorn 2 - 0 Rangers

Maybe I did misunderstand your comment but it is totally unacceptable that we got put out the ELQ's by a team like Progres Niederkorn..

Even worse is that no one has resigned or been sacked as a result of last week.

I agree that we should have won against this team, however you only make managerial changes if it's in the interests of the club. I'm just glad the board is sensible enough not to suffer from the hysteria of this result and appears to be giving the manager the time he needs and deserves. Anything else would be ridiculous. I've said before, it's this type of reaction from fans that has me deeply concerned about the prospect of fan ownership. I'd hate to think that fans like you would force such a change of manager or even resist taking the risk of someone like PC in the first place. That's not personal against you. It's just an honest concern that I have. I'm personally glad we have a board that has courage in its convictions, and it's that same courage and conviction that gave them control of the club to save it.

What do we do now that sackings haven't took place?

Well it's plain obvious...

Board stick with what we have because...

a) Board are skint and can't afford to pay Pedro off!

b) Board don't want to embarrass themselves more due to continuous mistakes on selecting a manager!

I'll opt for b) and why we currently find ourselves in the soup of the day.

I agree that we should have won against this team, however you only make managerial changes if it's in the interests of the club. I'm just glad the board is sensible enough not to suffer from the hysteria of this result and appears to be giving the manager the time he needs and deserves. Anything else would be ridiculous. I've said before, it's this type of reaction from fans that has me deeply concerned about the prospect of fan ownership. I'd hate to think that fans like you would force such a change of manager or even resist taking the risk of someone like PC in the first place. That's not personal against you. It's just an honest concern that I have. I'm personally glad we have a board that has courage in its convictions, and it's that same courage and conviction that gave them control of the club to save it.

Don't you think when we can't beat Progres Niederkorn over two games then someone has to accept responsibility ?

As for Caixinha I've been unconvinced by him since we lost 5-1 at home to the yahoos.

What do we do now that sackings haven't took place?

Well it's plain obvious...

Board stick with what we have because...

a) Board are skint and can't afford to pay Pedro off!

b) Board don't want to embarrass themselves more due to continuous mistakes on selecting a manager!

I'll opt for b) and why we currently find ourselves in the soup of the day.

I'd agree hence why they've opted for a D of F.

But the D of F must have his choice as manager IMO.

After last week I'm not sure about that

Or it means that Progres were a better team than some of us gave them credit for.

Who is defending the result? I don't see anyone defending it, or the manager. What I see is people putting it in perspective though. I simply stated a potential alternative view but people like you have already made your mind up and refuse to see anything else. So let me say again for the avoidance of doubt .... I'm gutted we are out of Europe and I believe our team is better than Progres, but if I was them I'd have been thinking that Rangers was one of the best draws to get. We've only just come back to the premier league after our exile. Our fans (me included) still regard Rangers as the team that was, rather than the team that is now. We've got a lot of rebuilding to do. We're still the same club, the same fans, and the same world record holders, but we will be a shadow of our former selves for sometime yet. I just hope PC is the man to help us advance. Do you?

Gaffer, I was there and I can absolutely assure you that Progres were well organised and ran themselves stupid but they don't have one player of any quality. Let's not beat about the bush; they are a diddy team in a diddy league; and even in our humbled circumstances ANY Scottish team in Europe should beat them off the park.

Just one example: their goalkeeper had a career in the German 5th and 6th levels but with one exception, kept us out in the first leg and the sub was good enough to prevent us scoring in Luxembourg, not that he had a lot do.

I'm honestly still trying to figure out why we didn't gub them over there. I'm in no doubt we have far better players but it's self evident that we aren't a TEAM, our new players mostly weren't fit and in my view we showed little urgency until it was too late. We had one shot in the first half from Kranjcar and that went way over. On another night we would have scored a couple towards the end but lack of sharpness cost us dearly. I think the tactics were wrong; playing two defensive midfielders demonstrated lack of ambition as did taking off Candeias and replacing him with Windass. What on earth is he still doing anywhere near our team?

Our defence also gave away a terrible goal from the free kick, which went right through everyone including Foderingham.

We desperately need to figure out a plan that makes use of Kranjcar's vision and technical ability. Time after time in the second half he made what should have been telling passes but those around him were not on the same wavelength.

I can understand why PC used Candeias and Dalcio and brought on Herrera late on but I just wonder if it might not have been better to stick with the guys who had the 3/4 weeks training under their belts, even if their futures at the Club are limited, it might have been a good shop window. Then again if Herrera was considered fit enough to play a bit part what about Pena; is he not just the kind of player who might have made the difference with one bit of magic?

So broadly I blame PC for this devastating loss and just hope he can make a team out of his new players. Undoubtedly Alves will make a big difference at the back. There are major decisions to take as to how we play and who supports Kranjcar in MF. You would think Dorrans has to be a starter and Jack as well. So where does Pena fit in? Wallace was desperately poor going forward and we all know he's not the world's best defender; does that argue for Beerman? On the other side, I'm struggling to believe he thinks that Tavernier is what we really need; I'd like to see Hodson get a run. Up front we have any combination of Candeias, Dalcio, Herrera, Morelos and yes, Miller. I'd love to see us go 4-4-2 with Morelos and Herrera but I can't see that happening.

I can't recall the exact words but it was evident from their programme notes that they thought they had drawn a big fish and that this was a one off game for them. I don't think they were being patronising; on paper we should beat them every time; sadly games of football are not played on paper.

I'd agree hence why they've opted for a D of F.

But the D of F must have his choice as manager IMO.

After last week I'm not sure about that

Rab...we all know fine well the D of F should have been in before Caixinha.

Murty steadied the ship and was doing fine until Caixinha was brought in...everything has went pear shaped since.

Murty was actually quite good when he came in, he had a bit of sav and got things going regards momentum, we did actually take a few steps forward under him.

At the time it was spun as being good that we brought Caixinha when we did...better now than when the new season starts we were told.

I don't think for one minute the board have any idea when it comes to putting a team on the park...same as they don't have any idea on who they select to put a team on the park!

Had to EDIT:

The Board got lucky with Murty...

Edited by Bearman

Hence the ludicrous explanation from the Chairman, for the 1-5 loss at home to Celtic - Pedro was trying out the players to see who was good enough in terms of ability and character, or words to that effect. A blind man could see in the semi-final that they were light years ahead of us and the only way to avoid a humiliation in the league game was to go five across the middle, instead of same again only worse.

Rab...we all know fine well the D of F should have been in before Caixinha.

Murty steadied the ship and was doing fine until Caixinha was brought in...everything has went pear shaped since.

Murty was actually quite good when he came in, he had a bit of sav and got things going regards momentum, we did actually take a few steps forward under him.

At the time it was spun as being good that we brought Caixinha when we did...better now than when the new season starts we were told.

I don't think for one minute the board have any idea when it comes to putting a team on the park...same as they don't have any idea on who they select to put a team on the park!

Had to EDIT:

The Board got lucky with Murty...

Given that we have a new manager and 9 new players; can someone please explain to me what the DoF does for the rest of the season apart from pick up a fat salary?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Hence the ludicrous explanation from the Chairman, for the 1-5 loss at home to Celtic - Pedro was trying out the players to see who was good enough in terms of ability and character, or words to that effect. A blind man could see in the semi-final that they were light years ahead of us and the only way to avoid a humiliation in the league game was to go five across the middle, instead of same again only worse.

Hence King brought us a players tunnel with 'We Are The People' (:swear:) replacing the 'Welcome To Ibrox' (which has a more impressive message to the opposition).

The King has done very well...it is time he took his position another level instead of the Bullshit he's serving now.

Don't you think when we can't beat Progres Niederkorn over two games then someone has to accept responsibility ?

As for Caixinha I've been unconvinced by him since we lost 5-1 at home to the yahoos.

Of course people (or at least someone) have to take responsibility, but that doesn't mean resigning or sacking. That's an extreme reaction and unnecessary. This is what I mean. We have fans who want someone sacked after those performances. I've got news for you .... that will happen again. We have to show support at these times, rather than sacking managers or players. Only when they've had time can we judge them. PC hasn't even had a chance to play his team yet. This is just madness, and although I agree we should have won this round with the players he had, it doesn't make sense to then take the hysterical action of sacking him. Sacking him would be a cowardly way out for the board, and I've already said I'm glad they are not cowards.

I took a quick look on here and I think around 15% of the forum members would want him gone. That gives me some comfort that although there is noise, it's from a small minority. However, if the proportion of unreasonable supporters gets close to 50%, I'll have to pull out of Club 1872 or it'll be curtains for the team. I'd be really interested in the thoughts of others about fan ownership. Does it excite or worry you? I personally now want enough to enable the fans to have a strong vote, but not enough to take control. There may be a structure or approach that can alleviate my fears, and it would be interesting to see how other clubs do it.

Let me just reiterate something. I'm not going to accept a lack of progress either. If we can't see advancement by Christmas (for example), I'd want the board to make the necessary decisions, but until then the team and manager will get my full support, and thankfully the support of the majority of bears.