No quality, no bottle, no Progrès - Should the manager be sacked?

The manager was brought in to revolutionise the team,he has brought in players,with little or no tome to gel,has off-loaded some non triers and surplus to requirement.

Unfortunately we failed in our EURO tie but we must now give him time to let his squad acclimatise and if no improvement by half-season then things need re-assessed.

Too often knee jerk reaction does not work.As fans we must get behind him and the team and rid ourselves of the negativity.

Exactly Mack.

Where would Man U be if they had decided not to stick with Sir Alex all those years ago ???

Exactly Mack.

Where would Man U be if they had decided not to stick with Sir Alex all those years ago ???

See your point but cant be compared really. Sir Alex was coming in with a track record of huge success with a small club and he didn't had a disastrous start with Utd. Pedro hasn't really had much success (he did Ok in Mexico) and has come in and stamped 3 horrendous things straight away - The 5-1 OF, losing at home to Aberdeen first time in 26 years and worst result in clubs history.

I still think he should be allowed to gel the team and HIS players but I worry about the dressing room right now - is it split with regards to PC??

Must read article from Dougie Wright:

[tweet]882971163152068610[/tweet]

great piece

Given that Niederkorn were playing with a 5 man midfield, this left Rangers seriously short of numbers in the middle of the park.

this is a problem that has been going on since WS left and proves these managers don't have a clue what they're doing

we were told PC preferred tactic is to sit in and hit on the break

what good is that to us, a team looking to attack and score goals and win in most matches we play in?

one up front? should never even be contemplated unless at the piggery or away from home in europe

great piece

this is a problem that has been going on since WS left and proves these managers don't have a clue what they're doing

we were told PC preferred tactic is to sit in and hit on the break

what good is that to us, a team looking to attack and score goals and win in most matches we play in?

one up front? should never even be contemplated unless at the piggery or away from home in europe

From the games past be seen him manage so far, I don't see anything that suggests we sit in and hit on the break. Do you?

As for one up front, this is a myth. 4-2-3-1 is the most popular structure for a reason. It means teams can transition to 4-5-1 when required, but go directly to 3-4-3 when attacking. So, in actual fact we have 3 up front, with the number 10 (Nico) following up.

The danger is that we start to criticise the formation after a defeat or poor performance. The formation is relatively insignificant. It's the transitions, defensive line, width, ball speed, and movement that's the really important defining factor, but the pundits don't talk about that because they don't understand it. It's why we are so obsessed with formations. It's an attempt t dumb down the game.

We lost the other night, and we lost because we had no width in the first half. Miller wanted to cut inside always and that meant that Wallace was ineffective on the overlap. Although he changed that in the second half, we did not move the ball quickly enough, and we achieved only 3 switches of play. Rossiter did not play the ball quickly enough forward so it meant that Progres could maintain a high line. We had too many tactical issues but I saw it more that the players didn't perform.

I'm sure PC could see this too and I'd expect him to fix it. I'm gutted we are out of Europe, but I don't feel the depths of despair that many on here do.

Edited by Gaffer

Thing is, when we move forward, we usually leave the CH at the back and Jack or Rossiter (usually not both) to cover them. In essence, the fullbacks join the midfield, creating a 2-1-5-1 or the like. So where there is a midfield deficiency as reported above is anyone's guess. The main problem is that half the team has hardly played with one another, as can be seen with Candeias not clicking with Tav ... who generally clicks with not that many anyway. That is why I for one view Hodson as the better right back, as he usually keeps his place and utilizes the right winger better. Miller on the left was also no good idea, for all the experience and workrate Miller has, he roams about like a Laudrup, but was more often than not out of any (!) position. Likewise, I did not exactly spot that midfield dominance of Progres, as Niko was spraying the passes about and more often than not the middle of the park was no concern.

In any case, the tactic used by Progres will be one that we will face rather often this season, i.e. teams sitting deepn and hope for a break or some set pieces. And as we have seen throughout these last few years, the football as such may become dire to watch, as the probing and probing will go on - unless you hit teams early on and they have to open up. We will need some time to get our new boys accustomed to that, as it probably is hardly a scenario that they have faced before.

We very rarely get three in the box - that's the problem. We go from side to side and back again constantly but not vertically enough (as PC constantly says).

It's incredible easy to defend against us as we simply don't play at enough pace and/or move the ball quickly enough. This has been an issue now since around the time we beat Celtic last year.

Another myth is that a 5 man midfield is something that needs to be matched by another 5 man midfield. When both sides have 11 players, it means we have 'spare' players elsewhere on the pitch. However, in our game against Progres we had 3 men in 'midfield' that failed to move the ball quickly enough to the forward players. We could have overloaded the opposition had we done that, but there were two reasons we couldn't. First of all, we didn't have the width (as I mentioned earlier), but secondly we failed to move their back four (by switching or even just moving the ball quicker) enough to create the space for our other attacking players to exploit and attack. We need to work on this. We saw it work well in th first half against Progres but the players need to learn how to do this when playing against teams operating with a high line. They didn't adapt quickly enough and we lost.

Another myth is that a 5 man midfield is something that needs to be matched by another 5 man midfield. When both sides have 11 players, it means we have 'spare' players elsewhere on the pitch. However, in our game against Progres we had 3 men in 'midfield' that failed to move the ball quickly enough to the forward players. We could have overloaded the opposition had we done that, but there were two reasons we couldn't. First of all, we didn't have the width (as I mentioned earlier), but secondly we failed to move their back four (by switching or even just moving the ball quicker) enough to create the space for our other attacking players to exploit and attack. We need to work on this. We saw it work well in th first half against Progres but the players need to learn how to do this when playing against teams operating with a high line. They didn't adapt quickly enough and we lost.

Not sure what you mean.

However - to take Craig using Sir Alex as a knee jerk opinion on another thread - I just read the premier league starts on a Friday for the first time this season, I thought thats not right because I recall watching the first game of the season years ago on a Friday night - however that turned out to be the second game of the season Chelsea 2-2 Man Utd.

So the point is Sir Alex fielded a 4-5-1 that night.

Carroll

P Neville Blanc Shea Silvestre

Beckham Keane Butt Giggs

Scholes

Van Nistelrooy

Ok we dont have that level of quality. But does someone want to explain to me whats wrong with this system and why we have to fumble about? Put players in natural positions - end of.