No quality, no bottle, no Progrès - Should the manager be sacked?

This is true - but it is also true that, historically, we have stood by our managers until we could no more. Some will say that we are already there with Pedro but I am, personally, definitely a fence-sitter in this regard. The result last week was absolutely catastrophic and there can be no excuses for it (not match fit, changes in personnel, UEFA timing of games are all just a cover for what was a terrible performance and horrendous result over two legs).

However, I do believe we need to see how his new recruits fit in before getting rid - he has Alves, Dorrans, Pena, Herrera all to still come in - all of whom would form the spine of the team, the most important element IMHO. We need to see how they integrate, enhance and improve on what we currently have before deciding to get rid of him. Last week's result deserved the criticism it received for both players and manager. But this is a marathon, not a sprint. Yes, he has had time with the squad but we all pretty much agree that what he inherited wasn't very good. His additions, for the most part, look pretty impressive - just sadly we haven't seen them yet.

The jury is very much out for me on Pedro - I just don't see any real organization or tactical genius in him. He talks about the transitions and phases of play - but then so can I, but you don't really want me as manager of Rangers.... but I have yet to see him really, really have an impact as a tactician on games. His record has been mediocre with us, but he had to use the hand he was dealt from Warburton. Now he has his own players in he should, and will, be judged on his own squad - but given we haven't seen almost half of the players he has brought in, and one could contend that the half we haven't seen are the most important half, I think he should be given some time to see how the perform together.

This was a howler of a result for us, no doubt about it. But European success was never going to happen anyway and we likely would have been put out by Limassol. I am not excusing it in any way, shape or form - but I do think we need to see how he and his players do before getting rid.

You may say that getting rid of him at Christmas is too late as the season would be ruined - you may very well be proven right. However, if we were to replace him right now his successor could very well have a ruinous season too given he would have no option but to utilize the players that Pedro would have left him. The choice isn't as easy as it sounds either because if we get rid of Pedro what would the reaction of the players that have just signed for him be ?

For sure, the players and management made a very large rod for their own backs last week - and they have a month almost before the next competitive game so they cant even atone quickly. They ALL should be ashamed of themselves.

All fair points. I was publicly sceptical of him when appointed but I was genuinely willing to give him time, however I've seen enough to believe he's not the man. A good manager would have got a 'bounce' out of the existing squad, he'd have got some of the fringe players performing and some of the better ones too. That he didn't, coupled with some horrific results, have convinced me he's not the man for us.

I accept that some of the new signings should improve our side, but we really didn't need international players to deal with Progres. I'm not concerned about how the players would react. They're professionals, they'll all have seen managers come and go before, they'll adapt or move on, that's football. I actually think we've got the makings of a okay squad and managed properly they could achieve something.

Seriously ?? Are you try to make excuses for not being able to beat Progres Niderkorn over two legs ? Okay they're not a pub team they're a village team. Is that any better ?

One week later & I still cannot believe or accept that result. And find it even more difficult to take that no one has taken responsibility for it within Rangers. If we want to be a big club we need to start behaving like one.

And if we really want to be regarded as being the best supporters, we need to start behaving like it. Of course the manager takes responsibility, but that doesn't mean he has to resign. That's just crazy.

People seem to forget the 5-1 drubbing at home to Celtic that could have been 9-1. the loss to Aberdeen at Ibrox for the first time in 26? years. It is not just about 1 result but a series of results. And don't give me the "he was trying them out crap"

Gaffer, you're not the manager of Rangers and with respect if you're comparing your job to his we're wasting our time. The manager of Rangers doesn't get to have 'shocking days', if he has one he gets criticised very publicly, if he has a few close together he gets fired, we don't accept second best and that's why we're the most successful club side in the world. You might think that's unfair, but it's reality.

I can probably accept losing a match, I can't accept losing the tie, that's simply unacceptable. I don't get these excuses I keep reading about lack of fitness, whether physical or mental. That's Pedro's job, if he's sending out sides that aren't mentally fit then he should be fired. There are no excuses for that, bullshit that it's harder to attack than defend, he's going to be facing a season of 10 men behind the ball in Scotland and he must surely know that by now. If we're not prepared for teams defending doggedly then we're in for a longer season than even I fear.

I didn't call them a pub team, but let's be clear they are a semi-pro side who finished fourth in the league of a country who are currently ranked 48th out of 55 European countries. Two of the countries below them are rocks in the sea, two are mountain tax havens and one is a war zone. They might beat the Dog and Duck first eleven on Glasgow Green on a Saturday morning but lets not pretend they are anything other than the poorest side Rangers have ever met in European football before now, because they are.

I think you've just picked out what you wanted to from my post. How can the manager possibly be blamed for having almost no time to bring in a new bunch of players, get them fit and familiar with a style he wants to play, and all within a few weeks. It's bizarre and if this was any other walk of life you'd be considered unreasonable to say the least. We're the most successful club, but we're nowhere near the best team now. We've got a long time before we get back to that. The difference is that I'm living in the present, with a sense of perspective about the road ahead of us. Too many are stuck in the past. In my opinion, many of the fans of our club are nowhere near the best and yet we "demand" the best. I think our fans have to change, just as China as the manager and players do. I'm personally embarrassed by the reaction our fans have to poor performances. I'm always disappointed and frustrated too, but I continue to support my team and that means cheering them on the pitch and it certainly never means calling for someone to resign after his first few games. In fact, some wanted him to resign before he even joined. Is that a real supporter? I don't get half as disappointed at our team as I do when I read some of what's posted on here.

There is however one thing we can agree on. Based on your lofty expectations, we are definitely in for a long season. I will however remain optimistic and I'm looking forward to seeing how the manager and new players perform over the next few months. That seems reasonable to me, but I accept it's not for you.

P.s. You assume a lot in thinking I'm not under intense scrutiny by the media, shareholders, etc. I know what intense scrutiny feels like. I am however dealing with (i.e. Having to report to) reasonable and sensible people - mainly. I guess therefore I am lucky compared to PC.

The worrying thing is now that there are rumours of dressing room problems as senior players think Pena and Harrera are not near the standard that is needed to improve the team.

Edited by pete

The worrying thing is now that there are rumours of dressing room problems as senior players think Pena and Harrera are not near the standard that is needed to improve the team.

If this is true then it is very worrying news indeed.Looks the D of F could be very busy in the weeks & months ahead

Edited by RANGERRAB

People seem to forget the 5-1 drubbing at home to Celtic that could have been 9-1. the loss to Aberdeen at Ibrox for the first time in 26? years. It is not just about 1 result but a series of results. And don't give me the "he was trying them out crap"

Some of the tactics baffle me such as Kenny Miller playing in MF. Like he was at Ibrox against Progres Niderkorn second half

If this is true, we need to find the players who are leaking this and get rid of them asap. It's PC they need to speak to about it, not the media or others who are likely to then spread these rumours. This breach of dressing room trust sickens me. Find them, and weed them out!!!

Originally Posted by IanDurrant10 View Post

Hate to sound like a know it all but,

Last year had various pms claiming board didn't trust Pedro & I told everyone not to believe it & Pedro was getting serious money

Low n behold the rumours were nonsense

Now this rumour has started & it's absolutely bollocks - players supposedly slagging off new players etc

I'm lucky enough to have seen training & suggestions players aren't bonding etc is rubbish & suggestions players are poor is ridiculous, most have barely been here a few weeks

All this has done is give the haters & *******s on here more ammunition & it's utter utter shit

These rumours don't help anyone

Poor stuff all round

This is from one of the supposed in the know guy's on FF

And that tells us exactly what about this season?

One could easily enough repeat what has been repeated quite a few times after both games, but people apparently only look at scores and records (usually when it suits them) and have none of any reasoned debate about the context of each game. So we can essentially just chuck it straight away, as it will only end up people being accused of coming up with "excuses". Would not have thought that this board ends up as it is because of one bad result ... not least after all we've been through.