No quality, no bottle, no Progrès - Should the manager be sacked?

You reckon some knifes will be swung in Istanbul tonight, as Galatasaray managed to loose against Östersunds FK of Sweden, a team who finnished 8th last season (and is well into summer football). 1-1 on the night, 1-3 on aggregate. More prominent Swedish sides Malmö FF and IFK Norrköping bowed out of Europe though. Limassol won 2-1 on the night against Progres, 3-1 on aggregate, so no horsing there either. Aberdeen won 2-0 in Bosnia to go through 3-1 on aggregate.

Elsewhere, Legia is still in the CL race and you would hope they'll get another chance to horse the Scum, whose next opponents Rosenborg laboured to a 3-2 aggregate win over Dundalk.

Some say McInnes is a loser just like Pedro.

I disagree...at least he got his side past a European tie in July.

Yay! And probably he won't outlast August. What an achievement after how many attempts?

BTW, Progres conceded in Limassol only after 70. minutes, had a man sent off in the 79th, equalized (sic!) in the 83rd and then lost a late goal in 88 mins.. At times, it does help to go into debating these games against the "lesser lights in Europe" with a bit of factual back-up rather than well-fed stereotypes that were valid 15odd years ago.

Yay! And probably he won't outlast August. What an achievement after how many attempts?

BTW, Progres conceded in Limassol only after 70. minutes, had a man sent off in the 79th, equalized (sic!) in the 83rd and then lost a late goal in 88 mins.. At times, it does help to go into debating these games against the "lesser lights in Europe" with a bit of factual back-up rather than well-fed stereotypes that were valid 15odd years ago.

Okay, I'll bite. Where are you rating Luxembourg football currently then dB? What are the 'facts' those of us writing them off don't have?

Okay, I'll bite. Where are you rating Luxembourg football currently then dB? What are the 'facts' those of us writing them off don't have?

I'll bite. I'd rate Progres niederkorn bottom half Scottish Premiership standard.

Well their 4th place side is better than Scotland's 3rd placed side.

Scotland is one of the worst footballing nations in Europe. We are slightly above amateur level in fitness, tactics, technical ability, and understanding of the game, we just think we are better than we are. I know most will shrug that off as pessimism but frankly it's just a realistic appraisal.

If the slide continues at the rate we are falling then we will be looking at having an amateur league within the next decade if nothing dramatically improves. If the hate continues to be the main motivation then that destruction will come faster.

Cypriot teams are better than Scotish teams for example that's how poor we are as a nation. It would be very unlikely we could have beat Limmissol especially if both teams played to their full potential. All these nations are on the rise while we are falling, and falling fast.

Well, as of this morning Luxembourg are ranked 48th out of 55 and Scotland are ranked 26th.

Progres are way below SPFL standard, they're part-time for a start and you have to go to the third tier of Scottish football to find part-time clubs. They also play in front of crowds you could literally count during the match, indeed you could introduce yourself personally to everyone else present at half-time. In terms of size and resource Progres are about the equivalent of Alloa or Stenhousemuir.

And, much as it pains me to point out, Scottish clubs beat clubs from Bosnia (ranked 39th) and Northern Ireland (ranked 49th) pretty recently. As an aside Cyprus are ranked 21st in Europe, they've been improving for a couple of decades or so.

The rankings for me don't really describe what is happening now think they take in the last 5 years or so. A lot can change in football season to season

The biggest indicator for me is the movement side of the ranking system. Think there are about only four nations who have lost more points than us this season.