Vatican & Communion rules

From BBC website. Seems that the "miracle" only works with bread containing gluten and real wine, strange.

Bread used to celebrate the Eucharist during Roman Catholic Mass must not be gluten-free - although it may be made from genetically modified organisms, the Vatican has ruled.

In a letter to bishops, Cardinal Robert Sarah said the bread can be low-gluten.

But he said there must be enough protein in the wheat to make it without additives.

The new rules are needed because the bread is now sold in supermarkets and on the internet, the cardinal said.

Roman Catholics believe bread and wine served at the Eucharist are converted into the body and blood of Christ through a process known as transubstantiation.

Glossary of Roman Catholic terms

The wine used must also be "natural, from the fruit of the grape, pure and incorrupt, not mixed with other substances", said Cardinal Robert Sarah of the Vatican's Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.

The ruling was issued at the request of Pope Francis, the letter said.

There are about 1.2 billion Roman Catholics around the world.

I don't know where to even start with that....

Does that mean that anyone with gluten intolerances or who are celiac (such as my wife or son) should find themselves another religion if they are Catholic ? Thankfully the wife and son are protestant :D

From BBC website. Seems that the "miracle" only works with bread containing gluten and real wine, strange.

Bread used to celebrate the Eucharist during Roman Catholic Mass must not be gluten-free - although it may be made from genetically modified organisms, the Vatican has ruled.

In a letter to bishops, Cardinal Robert Sarah said the bread can be low-gluten.

But he said there must be enough protein in the wheat to make it without additives.

The new rules are needed because the bread is now sold in supermarkets and on the internet, the cardinal said.

Roman Catholics believe bread and wine served at the Eucharist are converted into the body and blood of Christ through a process known as transubstantiation.

Glossary of Roman Catholic terms

The wine used must also be "natural, from the fruit of the grape, pure and incorrupt, not mixed with other substances", said Cardinal Robert Sarah of the Vatican's Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.

The ruling was issued at the request of Pope Francis, the letter said.

There are about 1.2 billion Roman Catholics around the world.

I would have thought these things were obvious? It is just crazy to think that gluten free bread would be able to change into the body of Christ!

I never cease to be amazed at what some folk consider worthy of debate on here but since the subject has been raised, anyone concerned should note:

Sarah also reminded bishops that the bread should be made by people “distinguished by their integrity” – and that adding fruit or sugar was a “grave abuse”.

and

It is altogether forbidden to use wine of doubtful authenticity or provenance,” he added.

So Greggs bread and Buckfast wine should be OK then?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I never cease to be amazed at what some folk consider worthy of debate on here but since the subject has been raised, anyone concerned should note:

and

So Greggs bread and Buckfast wine should be OK then?

It's the Lounge, all subjects are allowed I think. It's not necessary to reply or participate if you don't think the subject matter is to your taste. But you did.

It's just yet another ludicrous example of the antiquated fairytale that is religion. I once saw someone in a yahoo chatroom say that he had become bored with his religion, didn't believe in it anymore, so was looking for a new one. Almost akin to saying I have read all the spider man comics and become bored with spider man, I need a new superhero to follow.

Thousands of these ancient myths not a single one of which has a shred of evidence to support it yet in the space age people still cast around for one of these ancient magic tales to believe to be true. I find that utterly bizarre.