Vatican & Communion rules

As we are on the subject (and I am sitting in the dentist waiting on my mouth numbing up....) I'm not religious either.

Spiritual is another matter entirely and we could debate energy/quantum physics and biocentrics for time eternal.

As a species we see things in two or three dimensions. There are orcourse many more through time and space.

What that is, is anyone's guess? Does it become greater as we look further or do we make it more infinite the more we look?

It's fascinating and I guess we all differ in our perception. I am more open to our energy moving on to another dimension for example, than the idea of an all conquering and unforgiving god. That God may of course be nature itself?

Great debate and we should embrace it rather than fight over it. That is why for me, religion has much to answer for. It is the root of many conflicts and human suffering.

Edited by cooponthewing

As we are on the subject (and I am sitting in the dentist waiting on my mouth numbing up....) I'm not religious either.

Spiritual is another matter entirely and we could debate energy/quantum physics and biocentrics for time eternal.

As a species we see things in two or three dimensions. There are orcourse many more through time and space.

What that is, is anyone's guess? Does it become greater as we look further or do we make it more infinite the more we look?

It's fascinating and I guess we all differ in our perception. I am more open to our energy moving on to another dimension for example, than the idea of an all conquering and unforgiving god. That God may of course be nature itself?

Great debate and we should embrace it rather than fight over it. That is why for me, religion has much to answer for. It is the root of many conflicts and human suffering.

Some points of order:

1) Humans experience directly 4 dimensions of space-time (to give it its scientifically accurate description) The current estimate is that there are 13 dimensions in our universe. The non detectable ones may well be out of our reach but the universal laws of physics would still apply to them.

2) Infinity is a strange concept but by definition it cannot be increased or decreased ie you can't add to infinity or extend it.

3) Our energy does move on somewhere after death but it's highly unlikely that this is to another dimension as we understand the physics of macro energy systems ie our atoms disperse into the universe itself (from whence they came!).

4) Quantum theory is built on the Standard Model which concerns sub atomic particles, forces and fields. While the theory is incomplete without an understanding of gravity at that scale, the Higgs discovery all but confirmed that Einstein was right about special relativity and so there is very little room for shoehorning in existential possibilities. People like Deepak Chopra make a living selling ideas and "wisdom" based on pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo about spirituality and the quantum world and are rightly mocked by the scientific community.

I don't mean to criticise your musings Coop but I see a lot of this type of thinking - ie unknown phenomena could be a refuge for the supernatural and it rips my knitting!

What are you even talking about? I insulted no one, I didn't even mention anyone all I mentioned was an idea that I think is ludicrous and you jumped in and while having not a single thing to say on what I actually posted tried to tell me I can't even give my opinion on it just like the Islamists do when anyone has anything contrary to say about their 'beliefs'

You're insulting me, you should try keeping it to yourself maybe? Because I find your opinion insulting and maybe you need to try stopping ramming it down peoples throats. Alternatively bring me any evidence to suggest my disbelief in an invisible magic universe creating sky fairy is mistaken.

You insulted no one ? Are you being serious here JFK ?

"Fairy tale fantasies"

"bizarre made up"

Anyone with religious beliefs would be insulted and offended at that. Doesn't matter if you agree or disagree - YOU don't get to choose what is offensive, the other party does. And whilst I am not religious, I suspect that many, many people would be insulted by what you said.

You are operating in some kind of vacuum here and with absolutely zero self-awareness.

What are you even talking about? I insulted no one, I didn't even mention anyone all I mentioned was an idea that I think is ludicrous and you jumped in and while having not a single thing to say on what I actually posted tried to tell me I can't even give my opinion on it just like the Islamists do when anyone has anything contrary to say about their 'beliefs'

You're insulting me, you should try keeping it to yourself maybe? Because I find your opinion insulting and maybe you need to try stopping ramming it down peoples throats. Alternatively bring me any evidence to suggest my disbelief in an invisible magic universe creating sky fairy is mistaken.

This could very well be the most hypocritical post I have seen this year. Wow, just wow.

Some points of order:

1) Humans experience directly 4 dimensions of space-time (to give it its scientifically accurate description) The current estimate is that there are 13 dimensions in our universe. The non detectable ones may well be out of our reach but the universal laws of physics would still apply to them.

2) Infinity is a strange concept but by definition it cannot be increased or decreased ie you can't add to infinity or extend it.

3) Our energy does move on somewhere after death but it's highly unlikely that this is to another dimension as we understand the physics of macro energy systems ie our atoms disperse into the universe itself (from whence they came!).

4) Quantum theory is built on the Standard Model which concerns sub atomic particles, forces and fields. While the theory is incomplete without an understanding of gravity at that scale, the Higgs discovery all but confirmed that Einstein was right about special relativity and so there is very little room for shoehorning in existential possibilities. People like Deepak Chopra make a living selling ideas and "wisdom" based on pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo about spirituality and the quantum world and are rightly mocked by the scientific community.

I don't mean to criticise your musings Coop but I see a lot of this type of thinking - ie unknown phenomena could be a refuge for the supernatural and it rips my knitting!

No offence taken mate! I am open to most suggestions I'm just not religious. I actually was quite fascinated by Robert Lanza and biocentrics. However there are so many possibilities it's impossible (imo) to quantify anything.

I do enjoy the philosophical debate though.

It's called God of the gaps and is the last refuge of religion. Some phenomenon you can't yet explain? God dunnit. Exactly the same thing the ancient peoples did with phenomenon which to them was inexplicable. Lightning is a perfect example.

Right into the mid 18th century lightning was being proclaimed to be fired down by God himself which was ironic since the majority of structures being hit were churches which were generally the highest buildings around and had a steeple.

That particular one had to be filed away when Benjamin Franklin demonstrated that the 'wrath of God' could be easily diverted with nothing more than a metal pole we now call a lightning conductor.

It's the Lounge, all subjects are allowed I think. It's not necessary to reply or participate if you don't think the subject matter is to your taste. But you did.

Yes, I did; I normally stay away from the religious and political stuff but I did reply because I just think it's hilarious.

And no offence to anyone of the Catholic faith.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Some points of order:

I learned a lot from the above.

I think we'll have you as the guest speaker at the next dinner.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Here is my experience:- my kids both went to Anchor Boys/BB and attended Sunday school whilst my Wife was a church member.I personally helped out with many activities carried out by BB/Church and was on first name terms with the Minister.One day he asked me why,when I helped out in so many ways why I was not a church member and did not attend church,I did these things.

My answer to him was that I don't mind volunteering but that I could see no reason to attend church and listen to someone reading from a bible and speaking down from the pulpit berating the lack of people attending as it was a personal choice to do so.He looked at me smiled and admitted he could not fault my logic.

As I have said many times religion should be taught from home and not from school and children allowed their own thoughts on the subject.