Barrie McKay: Rangers' treatment forced me to leave for Nottingham Forest

Barrie McKay: Rangers' treatment forced me to leave for Nottingham Forest

Barrie McKay says he had to leave Rangers for Nottingham Forest this summer because of the way he was being treated by new manager Pedro Caixinha.

The winger only started in three of Rangers' final eight fixtures of last season after Caixinha took over from present Forest boss Mark Warburton.

"There was a change of manager and his opinion was different," said McKay.

"I wasn't being treated the way any human being should be treated, but that's football and I had to move on."

The 22-year-old earned his one and only Scotland cap last summer after helping Rangers win promotion to the Scottish Premiership under Warburton.

But the Englishman and assistant David Weir left Ibrox in February in a dispute with the board after being linked with the vacancy at Forest and McKay subsequently suffered a visible dip in form.

Warburton eventually ended up at the City Ground in March and this month returned to Ibrox to secure the winger's services for a fee of around £500,000.

The transfer came a week after McKay had been left out of Caixinha's squad for the Europa League qualifier against Progres Niederkorn of Luxembourg after failing to agree a contract extension.

Barrie McKay celebrates scoring for Rangers

McKay scored six goals for Rangers last season

Asked if it had been a difficult decision to leave his first club, McKay told BBC Radio Nottingham: "Not really at the time, with the way things went with the manager and the way I was being treated and stuff.

"It made the decision easy for when the gaffer got on the phone and he was obviously a big factor in me coming here and working with him again.

"When he came into Rangers, it was a big stage of my development and he helped me improve as a player.

"The way things happened up there is more disappointing. I spoke to my family, spoke to my girlfriend, spoke to my agent and I think it was just the right time.

"I guess that's football, but I'm a big boy and will get on with it."

McKay, who had loan spells with Greenock Morton and Raith Rovers before becoming a Rangers regular, is looking forward to the challenge he faces in the Championship in England.

"It is a big step in my career," he said. "Obviously I've spent all my time up in Scotland, so it is kind of coming out my comfort zone and it's just good to be here and good to be playing."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40667419

Edited by pete

Bollocks.

I wasn't being treated the way any human being should be treated

Makes it sound like he was put in a concentration camp; not sent to train with the Under-20's.

He was never signing a new contact, that was obvious when he only signed a one year extension.

He was capable of so much more but was left out because he wasn't contributing to the team.

He'll certainly be remembered for that wonderful goal vs Celtic; but that apart he so often flattered to deceive.

All the best to him; but he should keep his mouth shut and get on with his new career.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Kind of happy to see the lazy uncaring players getting their feathers ruffled. Hopefully soon it will become common knowledge that Rangers isn't a place you goto to just pick up a wage . This is a place that nourishes winners. Get with the mentality or get out.

Source: BBC - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40667419

It is direct quote from him, apparently, so that is that. After the year in the Championship, Barrie, much like Wagorn and Tavernier never reached his own standards last season and must be held responsible for our apparent lack of quality throughout that campaign. Since he was one of the more important players, eyes were closer on him than anyone else, perhaps. We'll probably never get to know the facts behind the contract stuff, at the end of the day he's off and that's it.

Thanks for the (good) memories and good luck.

Warburton was quoted in the press on the 1st Feb this year saying that a deal to extend his contract was close. That was after protracted contract talks during the January window. So he still hadn't extended his contract over that month of talks. We all have an incline he was holding out for more cash which is fair enough but didn't reflect his current form. 10 days later Warburton was gone Pedro was appointed on the 11th of March a full month later, 38 days to be exact, and he still hadn't extended. It was April that it broke that he wasn't going to extend his contract at all. Thats when Caxinhina made up his mind that if he wasnt going to commit to the club then he could train with the kids. He must think we're all daft and that we have really poor memory as far as I'm concerned he's talking out of a hole in his derrier.

Edited by Big Jaws

Bollocks.

Makes it sound like he was put in a concentration camp; not sent to train with the Under-20's.

He was never signing a new contact, that was obvious when he only signed a one year extension.

He was capable of so much more but was left out because he wasn't contributing to the team.

He'll certainly be remembered for that wonderful goal vs Celtic; but that apart he so often flattered to deceive.

All the best to him; but he should keep his mouth shut and get on with his new career.

You know fine well hes a pro footballer---they are wee sensitive souls.

Managers either adapt or die(as to their treatment of them).They think the world owes them a living

Truth is---he wasnt very good,he wont be missed.(same as our current manager)

You know fine well hes a pro footballer---they are wee sensitive souls.

Managers either adapt or die(as to their treatment of them).They think the world owes them a living

Truth is---he wasnt very good,he wont be missed.(same as our current manager)

I think he was well capable of being a player in the no. 10 role, so being played out of position certainly didn't help.

BUT like many a footballer he thought he was better than he was and will find out the hard way in England.

Warburton was quoted in the press on the 1st Feb this year saying that a deal to extend his contract was close. That was after protracted contract talks during the January window. So he still hadn't extended his contract over that month of talks. We all have an incline he was holding out for more cash which is fair enough but didn't reflect his current form. 10 days later Warburton was gone Pedro was appointed on the 11th of March a full month later, 38 days to be exact, and he still hadn't extended. It was April that it broke that he wasn't going to extend his contract at all. Thats when Caxinhina made up his mind that if he wasnt going to commit to the club then he could train with the kids. He must think we're all daft and that we have really poor memory as far as I'm concerned he's talking out of a hole in his derrier.

Excellent post. I agree with this, although you are really stating the facts.

Also, if he was so enamoured with Warburton, why did he not sign an extension in February?