[FT] Rangers 1 (Kranjcar 75) - 1 Marseille

While I dont get too upset with pre-season defeats, I dont get too excited with what on paper looks an excellant draw against the French side. OM looked well short of fitness and sharpness but we looked much sharper than we have done previously, and that is exactly what I want to see from pre-season - every game sees an improvement in sharpness and fitness.

We still look toothless up front, wasteful in wide positions, and seriously dodgy without Alves in defence (any chance he plays 40+ games this season at 35?) but the result and wasted chances dont go into the record books, the real stuff is still 2 weeks away and we will have one more "live" game at Sheffield next week and probably another couple of closed door bounce games to allow us to work on the many areas we need to work on before we go to Fir Park.

As in both Progres games but especially the home tie, when play goes through Nico we look good, when it doesnt we look , well, not so good.

A much improved performance from Candeias today, quiet games from Jack and Dorrans, Miller as frustratingly wasteful in possession as always and both strikers that played didnt have much to work with although both looked busier, Morelos should have buried the rebound from his rocket shot.

It looked like we got a good workout, nobody got injured, and we might even have got a wee confidence booster from holding a better side than us to a draw. Onwards and upwards bears!

This is what I like about two different folk watching a game. they both have very different opinons about what they watched.

I thought Marseille looked much fitter, faster, quicker in the head and on the floor than us for 60-65 minutes of the game. While Alves was playing they were reduced to playing in front of our defence and mopped up by our holding players in mid field. Once he went off they were able to use their wider men better to penetrate. Alves covered and organised the back line so that they couldnt do that and we missed it when he went off.

As far as an attacking force is concerned I though we created enough chances by the 60-65 min mark to win the game. Miller... I agree about Miller as he just looks completely out of place in that team his touch is dreadful and he offers absolutely nothing on the left. Niko and Dorrans were having to take turns in being where he was supposed to be. Wallace has lost a bit of pace and so his crossing was always covered meaning it mostly hit the first man repeatedly but thats OK for now as we need a natural wide left player out there who can help create space for Wallace to over/under lap and we'll get good use out of him. On the other side Candelias and Tav are beginning to work there was some really nice intricate passages of play between the two of them out there today (in patches). He's got more than enough ability to tear defences apart in the SPFL as far as thats concerned I have no doubt. With a Herrera and Moreloes pairing making opposing runs late or early into the box thats got goals written all over it for me... but we didn't have that today with them both on at the same time we had Miller... shesh.

Edited by Big Jaws

In general a solid, but largely unexciting performance.

Generally very poor in front of goal (as has been the norm lately). This however got me thinking....Maybe PC is looking down a Walter Smith type route ie. first & foremost we become hard to beat, then we focus on winning??

I though the defence & midfield looked solid....they tended to allow Marsaille players some space, but kept them very much in check.

From what I saw, KM is no asset to this team - a lot of head shaking & walking about without purpose. If PC doesn't want to play Herrera & Morelos together, it maybe worthwhile switching KM for Windass, who at least has some pace and running.

Tav & Candeias seem to work well together - similar to Wallace & McKay a couple of seasons ago. If we can get the left & right wings working well, it makes us a very dangerous prospect.

Pena was quiet when he came on....would like to see a bit more of him, but who makes way???

Overall that was a pretty respectable performance. If some of our players could actually pass the ball to another 'Ger, then the result may even have gone in our favour. (No, really.)

It looked like the OM goal went through Foderingham's legs, which always seems like an error, but he had a couple of good blocks/saves;; Tavernier looked half decent, but still goes positionally awol. Not enough chances created, although that may be due as much to OM's diligence, organisation, and talent as anything else.

A bit of strengthening on the left would be good, although Candeias on the right earned a pass mark.

Also it seemed a bit one paced, or is that just pre season syndrome?

Can't say other than it was a good workout. Onward and upward.

When is the Great Mexican Hope, Pena, likely to be match fit? He came on and did not show.

Edited by Uilleam

someone said it earlier and i hate to agree but naismith is the perfect player for that formation taking the miller role. I will burn in hell for saying that:eek2:

Please please ,no .

I thought from Jack & Dorrans down we looked solid and everyone played ok.

I couldn't really fathom what we were doing in the last third. Kranjcar seemed to have a free role, Candeias played down the right, with Herrera through the middle and Millers role seemed to be fill any holes left by Kranjcar.

With the greatest of respect to Miller he's not that type of player anymore.

Having not seen much of Dalcio. I don't know whether this would be his role or not. But it is certainly not Miller's.

Herrera looked anonymous maybe he needs a partner.

I liked the look of Candeias and thought Morelos brought something new when he came on.

But like I say not sure what we are doing overall in last third.

Don't want him either but have to admit he would fit into the role well. Hopefully we have other options

Just watching the game back and seeing the bit I missed

5 CAPTAINS!! WTF

That's new lol

tru blu yes he could do a job for us but i will never ever forgive him and whitteker for saying we were dead , not for me mate

Compare today's performance to that against Burnley last year. Last year we looked like boys chasing men - fast forward to this game and the likes of Alves, Cardoso, Dorrans and Candieas all shone against a very very good Marseille team.

Tav also gets a special mention as he kept Payet quiet all afternoon.

Oh btw where's JohnMc this evening...? :D

I only saw the first half but I was encouraged. They're on another level from the typical SPL dross and we didn't look out of place against them from what I saw. We're getting there.