Rangers Sign UpTo the Equality Network

Think there's a generational aspect to all this, I've long stopped bothering about what was back in the day known as "poofs" and "lizzies". Just because someone grew up in a world that was different to the one we now inhabit doesn't make them a bigot.

Its not my cup of tea but each to their own and all that, if a man loves another man or a woman another woman who am I to decry them?

One thing I can't quite grasp is the current gender fluidity stuff which seems utter bollox to me along with the "man gives birth" nonsense.

There is definitely a generational aspect to these things FS.

Living in Bermuda, the racial mix is 60% black and 40% other minorities including Caucasian. The first time my Mum visited she was talking about "darkies" as I was leaving for work - when we got home from work the wife and I had to explain political correctness and how that term had become racist. My Mum was beside herself that she may have offended someone - but it was innocence from a change in times from her generation when such terms weren't considered racist.

I personally cut my Mum's generation some slack because the world has changed at great pace and has somewhat passed them by.

Actually you're right, many disabilities aren't visible. Please accept my apologies. When I was answering, I was thinking primarily of wheelchair accessibility, but of course there are other issues.

My younger brother is mentally handicapped. I try to take him to a game every time I am in the UK. A couple of years ago a Rangers fan in the Govan rear where we were sat referred to him as a "mong" - it was all I could do to not smash his face in.

People don't understand some disabilities and haven't a clue how hurtful they can be.

On accessibility I have had the pleasure of chatting with FS where he sits at Ibrox and must say that the viewing area, if it were me, would have me re-considering attending games because I dislike being at pitch level. Would be nice if the club could provide alternative viewpoints for wheelchair fans.

My younger brother is mentally handicapped. I try to take him to a game every time I am in the UK. A couple of years ago a Rangers fan in the Govan rear where we were sat referred to him as a "mong" - it was all I could do to not smash his face in.

People don't understand some disabilities and haven't a clue how hurtful they can be.

On accessibility I have had the pleasure of chatting with FS where he sits at Ibrox and must say that the viewing area, if it were me, would have me re-considering attending games because I dislike being at pitch level. Would be nice if the club could provide alternative viewpoints for wheelchair fans.

That is an absolutely disgusting story. I'm genuinely sorry you and your brother had to go through that.

As for the whole gay / lesbian thing, as someone alluded to, I think the generational influence is massive (see the thread of the merits of Glasgow vs Edinburgh!). I think I may be on the younger end of the scale for this forum.

I have loads of gay mates, make and female. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, they have some of the best parties you could imagine and are a load of fun. Live and let live. And for the record, I'm a happily married man.

I wish society had moved on - it hasn't - not even close. Try watching this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08z2jpc/gareth-thomas-v-homophobia-hate-in-the-beautiful-game?suggid=b08z2jpc

My own experiences recently with my family proved that too. We like to believe everything is OK - is it fuck!

It seems your experiences are different from mine.

As I've said I have plenty of gay colleagues and a few gay friends and have been a director of a company where the managing director is gay. I've worked with gay people for many years and not heard one derogatory comment, even behind "closed doors".

There's quite a few at my kids' school who have come out with no problems, which would not have been that easy/possible when I was at school.

Obviously there are still some issues, and I'm shocked at one or two of the responses on this thread, but I firmly believe they are in the minority, and has been pointed out perhaps it's a generational thing.

That's not to lessen the issues that your family have suffered, which I'm sorry to hear. The issues are definitely a lot less than they were but perhaps not as small as I'd thought that they were.

That is an absolutely disgusting story. I'm genuinely sorry you and your brother had to go through that.

As for the whole gay / lesbian thing, as someone alluded to, I think the generational influence is massive (see the thread of the merits of Glasgow vs Edinburgh!). I think I may be on the younger end of the scale for this forum.

I have loads of gay mates, make and female. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, they have some of the best parties you could imagine and are a load of fun. Live and let live. And for the record, I'm a happily married man.

My brother was oblivious thankfully - but no word of a lie, it played on my mind for a week as to why I didn't just punch him in the face. I'm not the aggressive type but it really did gnaw at me for not hitting the guy. Taking the moral high ground isn't always easy to do.

I agree, the LBGTQ community know how to have fun. We met a friend in NYC a few years ago and one of her male friends had just come out... we were having a night out and she asked if we minded going to a gay bar with them for the friend's sake. Of course, we didn't mind at all - and it was a great night, we had such a good time in friendly surroundings. Everyone just looking to have fun. I was even trying to hook the newly out friend up.

What annoys me is that no support is asked for normal human beings.

IMHO the balance towards equality is aimed toward minority groups be it as the post or immigrants etc.

I have grown up respecting people and faiths but too much is aimed at minorities leaving me feeling like a guilty person with my own thoughts.

If I had your thoughts then I'd want to feel guilty about them - it'd be even worse if you didn't.

That's an even more horrific story than some of the comments in this thread.

I wasn't aware there was an issue with it.

Really? Ibrox crowds must have changes out of all recognition since I was last there. I just came here from another forum where a discussion of Motherwell fans led to "They like to act the hard men in the confines of safety, not so bold when challenged away from the ground. They are wee poofs."

It's like something from half a century ago and yet still ongoing.

Edited by SteveC

Think there's a generational aspect to all this, I've long stopped bothering about what was back in the day known as "poofs" and "lizzies". Just because someone grew up in a world that was different to the one we now inhabit doesn't make them a bigot.

Its not my cup of tea but each to their own and all that, if a man loves another man or a woman another woman who am I to decry them?

One thing I can't quite grasp is the current gender fluidity stuff which seems utter bollox to me along with the "man gives birth" nonsense.

Gender fluidity is presumably the next generational shift then and you've missed that one, FS. I try to keep up but I was looking at a list of applications from 14 year olds the other week and had to look one up as it was new to me as it did not fall into any of the old standard "lbgtqia". It was p for "Pan Sexual" but from what I gather in younger circles this is now used to mean something more like "I refuse to be defined by any of the other labels as well as/or instead of "I'm open to being attracted to anyone regardless of which of any of the other gender groups" they identify themselves as. More a declaration of not being bound than a synonym for "omni".

To their generation it seems thinking about such things as gender and gender fluidity is natural and not "bollox" (a revealing adjective to choose? ;) ), FS. I quite like this new (to me) one as it reacts against the insistence on labelling. Anyone who has studied the literature of past times will realise that gender fluidity and mixed gender preferences were often openly part of life before such terms as heterosexuality, homosexuality, bis-sexuality were ever coined or felt to be needed.

Edited by SteveC

I just want to say that this has generally been a really positive thread. A few nasty comments, and a few innocently misguided ones, but a good show of support, which i'm very glad to hear.

With that in mind, for those of you wanting to promote this sort of thing a bit more, there is a facebook group, Rangers FC - Together With Pride, which aims humbly to try and forward some of these causes at the club.