Did anyone have issues cancelling Premier Sports?

I was at position number 1 for about half an hour when I tried to cancel it... When I finally got through and cancelled, the operator tried to make me stay by telling me that the 'International Champions Cup' would be on the channel. When I said no because its a tournament of friendlies so its not worth watching and I'm only interested in Rangers, he got really upset and started name dropping the top players and couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to watch it....

I heard a similar story about them saying they have the Challenge Cup! They were pretty quick to respond anyway and said since it's special circumstances they will cancel via email.

They said they have an extremely high volume of calls...presumably this is after Scottish football fans suffering predictable early European exits. I also get the impression there's only one person answering calls.

• 2 years later...

I cancelled the service over the phone - got an email acknowledgement - then found out that, when I wanted to subscribe again a year later, they had still been taking monthly payments the whole time. They are refusing to repay the payments! Do not deal with this company!

33 minutes ago, DEREK said:

I cancelled the service over the phone - got an email acknowledgement - then found out that, when I wanted to subscribe again a year later, they had still been taking monthly payments the whole time. They are refusing to repay the payments! Do not deal with this company!

A poor show Derek.

Always remember to cancel Direct Debits wit your bank to avoid issues!

On 08/08/2017 at 16:25, Bill said:

Be careful. If you set up a direct debit with Premier Sports then it has to be cancelled by both parties. 

I don't think that's true of DD.  One thing you should never do unless you are absolutely sure of the company you are signing up with is use a credit card for recurring payments.  They can need both parties to cancel.

43 minutes ago, Briton said:

I don't think that's true of DD.  One thing you should never do unless you are absolutely sure of the company you are signing up with is use a credit card for recurring payments.  They can need both parties to cancel.

According to my bank it’s true. People should check for themselves 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

According to my bank it’s true. People should check for themselves 

A quote from St Martin of Lewis:

Cancelling recurring payments: It's best to contact the company taking the payment first and ask it to cancel it. If it refuses, you can also contact your bank or card provider and tell it to cancel it.

2 hours ago, Briton said:

A quote from St Martin of Lewis:

I think the point you make about credit cards is probably what I was thinking about but the fact remains that while cancelling a direct debit mandate with your bank will stop the payments, it won't necessarily stop you liability to pay if that is still running. If your direct debit carries terms or is tied to terms in your contract that require a minimum number of payments, a minimum time period or a minimum cancellation notice then simply stopping payments won't necessarily remove your liability to pay.

Tried to stop what I thought was a direct debit to Premier sports, turns out the payments are called authorised debits (or something) they are not amendable like DD or SO and cannot be cancelled by the payee.

Anyway , I didn't bother trying to phone, just cancelled by using the contact page on their own site, then followed this up with another direct mail asking for confirmation, couple of days later I got this back.

support@premiersports.com

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
As we value your loyal custom, we’d like to offer you a reduced price offer of £3.99 per month for the next 3 months.* This represents a 60% discount per month for this Summer Offer!
If you wish to avail of this great offer please respond to this email giving us your consent that you wish to proceed.
However, if you still decide to close your account, please accept this email as confirmation that your subscription to Premier Sports will be switched off prior to your next billing date. No further payment will be processed from your account.
We hope to have you back in the future, thanks for your support.

Regards, 
Customer service
Premier Sports

Edited by gaspard