Rangers Observer - Kit rumours cleared up

September 1, 2017

Over the past few days various images have appeared online claiming to be Rangers' kits for this season. A number of Twitter accounts have posted fake kits and one such picture even prompted the Scottish Sun to run misleading, clickbait stories two days running.*

https://www.rangersobserver.com/news/2017/8/30/kit-rumours-cleared-up

The Rangers Observer has quickly become our CQN equivalent with someone on the board feeding them stories to get put out on the club's behalf while retaining an ability to deny it if questioned.

They do however have a somewhat arrogant nature about their articles in which they present everything as facts without providing any evidence of such while dismissing other unsubstantiated articles (usually from gutter press so fair play!) as being fiction.

I am nonetheless enjoying their work.

I wouldn't describe it as arrogant, I would say that a no of its articles -news not opinion- appear authoritative, presumably because , as you say, it functions as a plausibly deniable conduit from the Board to the support.

Not before time, in my view. The danger, of course, is that a Board could come to exercise unseemly editorial control, and the Observer become merely a mouthpiece, with any critical faculty neutered.

Edited by Uilleam

I wouldn't describe it as arrogant, I would say that a no of its articles -news not opinion- appear authoritative, presumably because , as you say, it functions as a plausibly deniable conduit from the Board to the support.

Not before time, in my view. The danger, of course, is that a Board could come to exercise unseemly editorial control, and the Observer become merely a mouthpiece, with any critical faculty neutered.

I'm not too worried about that, as there are more than enough critics out there already!

We are not entirely sure why a publication like the Sun couldn't verify that images they carried were fake but that might not have got as many people clicking on their stories across the past two days....

It is not the Rangers Observer's ability to critique that you need to worry about.