Played 38, 33

Won 30, 26

Drawn 8, 7

Lost 0, 0

For 72, 63

Against 11, 10

Clean sheets 27, 23

Points 98, 85

Now I know it's not that simple but it's obviously championship winning form and if we'd got Walter in at the beginning of the season and had these kind of stats we'd be at least 7 points ahead of Celtic and talking about "grinding out results".

The remarkable thing is that Walter is doing this with a squad of players that have failed to win a trophy in two years, have gained some of the worst records in Rangers history and has only had a few players of his own choosing.

So while the football might be bad at times, take heart from the results at the moment. Now is probably not the time to grumble about poor football especially when the results are rolling in and racking up the points - we'd have taken this kind of football for the last one and a half seasons.

Phase one is stopping the rot and the leaking of goals and points using mostly the inherited squad with a few extra players brought in on a modest budget - I think that is being achieved with great aplomb.

Phase two will start this summer and will be about improving the quality of the team and providing a sustained challenge for the title as well as CL qualification.

Once we have achieved a level where we are consistently challenging for the league - wining it at least every second season, and doing well in the CL, then maybe we can think about producing a much more watchable football. That will be phase three and four.

Have patience.

For me results come first. Once you're achieving them, then you have the luxury of looking at the eprformances and are they enteratining. Put it this way, i'm much happier leaving the Ibrox with Walter getting a victory from "dull" football, than when PLG was having us playing awesome footy and dropping points left right and centre.

Good post mate. :thup:

That's a good post Calscot and confirms that he has steadied the ship. Its been truly baffling that it only took WS a matter of days in the job to sort out our defence when AM and PLG thought it was doing just fine over a space of a few years.

Totally agree that we just needed to stop the rot and he's done that. 2nd place is looking much more comfortable than it was before he took over.

This summer is the big challenge and one which I don't envy him. Unless he's given approximately 10M to spend, then we're in for another very long season next year. If DM backs him with that much cash, then I think he can make some good progress with the squad rebuilding this year. If not, then its going to take another few transfer windows to get things turned around I think. When you actually sit down and look at the squad on paper and then consider how many of those players have been found lacking over the last few years, you realise just how many new players we need.

As for the argument that WS is crap in Europe, I'm still optimistic. He definitely improved during his time with Scotland, I think that fact's unquestionable and the results spoke for themselves. Of course, he's shown some tactical naivety again this year, but I'm prepared to wait and see what happens next season as IMO, the bunch of players he had to choose from are some of the poorest in the last 20 odd years.

As for PLG, although his team played some excellent footy at the start of the season, as time went on, we were finding very few positives to take from matches and at the same time were dropping points. Maybe given time he would have got it right, but when you have first team players saying that they thought the SPL would be easy, something wasn't right behind the scenes. And don't get me started on the BF fiasco.

That's a good post Calscot and confirms that he has steadied the ship. Its been truly baffling that it only took WS a matter of days in the job to sort out our defence when AM and PLG thought it was doing just fine over a space of a few years.

Totally agree that we just needed to stop the rot and he's done that. 2nd place is looking much more comfortable than it was before he took over.

This summer is the big challenge and one which I don't envy him. Unless he's given approximately 10M to spend, then we're in for another very long season next year. If DM backs him with that much cash, then I think he can make some good progress with the squad rebuilding this year. If not, then its going to take another few transfer windows to get things turned around I think. When you actually sit down and look at the squad on paper and then consider how many of those players have been found lacking over the last few years, you realise just how many new players we need.

As for the argument that WS is crap in Europe, I'm still optimistic. He definitely improved during his time with Scotland, I think that fact's unquestionable and the results spoke for themselves. Of course, he's shown some tactical naivety again this year, but I'm prepared to wait and see what happens next season as IMO, the bunch of players he had to choose from are some of the poorest in the last 20 odd years.

As for PLG, although his team played some excellent footy at the start of the season, as time went on, we were finding very few positives to take from matches and at the same time were dropping points. Maybe given time he would have got it right, but when you have first team players saying that they thought the SPL would be easy, something wasn't right behind the scenes. And don't get me started on the BF fiasco.

Did the bad play not coincide with Fergie coming back into the team?

No it coincided with Fergie losing form. Our worst game was away to Osasuna where Fergie didn't play.

When Fergie is on form we play far better eg at home to Hapoel, the 3-0 defeat of Hibs. When he's off form or not playing we struggle.

No it coincided with Fergie losing form. Our worst game was away to Osasuna where Fergie didn't play.

When Fergie is on form we play far better eg at home to Hapoel, the 3-0 defeat of Hibs. When he's off form or not playing we struggle.

IMHO the first leg against Osasuna was a lot worse than the away leg.

Walter´s team selection/tactics didn´t give us much of a chance though.

2 slow centre halfs playing deep and Boyd on his own up front made a pedestrian midfields job impossible.

That was a game for BF to at least attempt to dominate, he dissappeared.

When BF plays where he is told we play better.

His tactical indiscipline on the field has cost us.

His petulence has also cost us.

His 2 earlier bookings in the UEFA for reacting to being fouled cost the team his presence in Osasuna where we had an off the pace Gavin Rae contributing little.

Did the bad play not coincide with Fergie coming back into the team?

I don't think so, but we have played better without him at times this season and if you go back through the archives you'll be able to find the times where we did.

When he doesn't play well though and gets dragged out of position, it really has a big negative effect on the team. I'm a big fan of Fergie's but I wish he'd grow up, cut the petulance out and his constant moaning which doesn't seem to be motivating anyone.

if your going to single out players to blame for our demise this season i can think of a few players before ferguson. ffs get off his back.

I was thinking similar to be honest. I'm a big Fergie fan and I know he has been poor especially in recent weeks, but I still think he gets unfair criticism from some fans