[FT] Partick Thistle 1 - 3 Rangers (Pena 55; Candeias 94; Herrera 99)

I don't think he changed his philosophy from an attacking perspective (or transition as folk like to call it). Moving Jack wider is probably to support Tav in transitioning back to defense when we lose the ball (or after the 3 secs when we try to get it back).

Pretty sure he will play back 3 on Saturday with 5 across the middle and Morelos up front where they are weakest (centre) but also going wide to help occupy their full backs. We have good strength in depth at CH but are weak at FB so I think he will put 3 in. I think Saturday will be too soon for Pena (he still looks as if he is adjusting to the lack of space and time compared to Mexico) and can see him resorting to Miller to support Morelos and try to get in space between their CHs (OF experience) with Pena coming in later or I might just ask Miller to sit on Brown's toes as I don't think they play well when he's not circulating the ball.

Dorrans will play central pivot in front of the back 3 but drop quickly when we lose possession with the wider CHs moving right or left depending on where the attack is coming from. I think we need 3 good aerial defenders because Tav and Hodson will concede headers if diagonal balls are played like the one we lost the goal to last night.

The left is still a problem the only function I can see for Windass would be to sit wide and high to keep Tierney occupied but Tierney will outplay him so Windass has to be dropped. But we don't have options that I can see to shore up the left when we lose the ball unless we go with a back 3 and Hodson a wide holding part of the 5 midfield. 3-5-1-1 and John sitting just in front of him. We must have an attacking threat against them so 3 CHs and protection in front of them is the only solution that gives us defence and attack with the squad we have imo.

Edited by Walterbear

Incidentally if Dec John had been wearing hoops last night and called Tierney the 'pundits' would have been creaming themselves so let's get some confidence here. DJ has actually played a decent spell in the EPL whereas Tierney hasn't. DJ has played for a Welsh squad which got to the Euro semis wheras Scotland haven't qualified for a tournament in 20 years. On the face if it DJ is every bit as good as Tierney.

Hodson has played outstandingly for a NI side against the best teams in the world. Lustig is no great shakes.

Morelos will be a better player than the racist before the end of this season.

A few wins on the bounce playing like we did for parts of the game last night and in other games but more consistently and this team can close the gap to some degree. Just need to keep strengthening positions which is why I'm glad we didn't pay over the odds for Walker or Maclean when we might get them both for 500k in just over a couple of months. Both these players can play the transitioning football PC goes on about and in areas we need strengthened.

Edited by Walterbear

Incidentally if Dec John had been wearing hoops last night and called Tierney the 'pundits' would have been creaming themselves so let's get some confidence here. DJ has actually played a decent spell in the EPL whereas Tierney hasn't. DJ has played for a Welsh squad which got to the Euro semis wheras Scotland haven't qualified for a tournament in 20 years. On the face if it DJ is every bit as good as Tierney.

Hodson has played outstandingly for a NI side against the best teams in the world. Lustig is no great shakes.

Morelos will be a better player than the racist before the end of this season.

A few wins on the bounce playing like we did for parts of the game last night and in other games but more consistently and this team can close the gap to some degree. Just need to keep strengthening positions which is why I'm glad we didn't pay over the odds for Walker or Maclean when we might get them both for 500k in just over a couple of months. Both these players can play the transitioning football PC goes on about and in areas we need strengthened.

I agree that DJ is an excellent prospect and I hope Mark Allen is drawing up the pre contract as we speak. There was enough in last night's game alone to see he's got amazing potential. I do wonder who we can get to play in Windass' role. We have Holt but I don't know if he can do that role. I don't know of anyone else that can do it. I suppose we have the choice of playing Lee as the wingback and John in the left attacking midfielder role, but I don't see LW as being able to support on that side for a full game, at least not without putting us under pressure on that side defensively. Equally, I don't think DJ has the vision and decision making skills yet to be effective in that advanced role either. He may, but it's too early. It's a weak area of the team and I just don't see too many options there.

I agree that DJ is an excellent prospect and I hope Mark Allen is drawing up the pre contract as we speak. There was enough in last night's game alone to see he's got amazing potential. I do wonder who we can get to play in Windass' role. We have Holt but I don't know if he can do that role. I don't know of anyone else that can do it. I suppose we have the choice of playing Lee as the wingback and John in the left attacking midfielder role, but I don't see LW as being able to support on that side for a full game, at least not without putting us under pressure on that side defensively. Equally, I don't think DJ has the vision and decision making skills yet to be effective in that advanced role either. He may, but it's too early. It's a weak area of the team and I just don't see too many options there.

I don't think we will be able to do it now as it hasn't been practiced before, but to compensate for the lack of any left sided players, we could have gone to a 3 - 4 - 2 - 1, with Tav and John in the 4 (alongside Jack and Dorrans) and with Pena/Candeias supporting Morelos.

Edited by Davie P

You clearly frequent the wrong forums bud

More akin to spying on the enemy from a distance to keep an eye on their disgusting habits. I hope we do draw them and hand them a humiliation neither they nor Lennon will forget in a very long time.

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald believes referee Steven McLean was "affected" by Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha's comments ahead of their League Cup quarter-final tie.

Caixinha said teams are more aggressive against Rangers after they drew 2-2 with 10-man Thistle in the league.

"You could see that Pedro's comments affected the officials," Archibald said after Rangers won 3-1 in the cup tie.

"Every 50-50 went their way. I'm so disappointed."

Rangers opened the scoring in the second half at Firhill through midfielder Carlos Pena, who was one of three changes to the visitors' line-up, four days after the teams had met in the Premiership.

Archibald made two changes to his side, replacing the cup-tied Miles Storey and the suspended Chris Erskine, who had been sent off against Rangers in the league.

After Rangers were forced to replace defenders Bruno Alves and Declan John through injury, Thistle's push for an equaliser gathered momentum and they were rewarded through substitute Kris Doolan's 90th-minute strike.

Thistle were subdued in extra-time, though, with Rangers establishing a two-goal lead through Daniel Candeias and Eduardo Herrera in the opening period.

"It was a fantastic game to watch, just disappointing [to lose]," said Archibald.

"I thought the boys put so much in, we were in the ascendancy when we scored, and it's hard to put your finger on extra time, and why we dropped off.

"We changed our shape in the second half, we felt the lad No 27 [Pena] was causing a problem in the hole.

"We were just about to bring Kris Doolan on and they scored. We gave Rangers a lot of chances, which was disappointing, they came from a slack pass or dwelling on the ball.

"We deserved our goal when we got it, just disappointed with the reaction in extra-time, because I didn't see it coming."

To be fair to Archibald if I were him I may be thinking well everybody else can kick the crap out of them and even grab them around the neck and throw them to the ground and get away with it so why can't we?