Confirmed: Pedro Sacked

Rangers director Alastair Johnston cites ‘institutional failure’

Rangers director Alastair Johnston insists “institutional failure” left the Ibrox club with no option but to sack Pedro Caixinha.

Following Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock, the USA-based former chairman joined a board meeting via conference call on Thursday morning where the decision was made to relieve the Portuguese coach of his duties.

Under-20s boss Graeme Murty will assume the caretaker role for the second time this year when Rangers travel to Murrayfield to face Hearts on Saturday.

Johnston, who returned to an Ibrox boardroom role in June after a six-year absence, said: “We had a board teleconference this morning and the decision was made.

“I don’t think it was a fait accompli, there was a lot of sharing of opinions and viewpoints and lots of questions asked and answered.

“It wasn’t a quick three minute call, let’s put it that way.

“But the decision was obviously something that was under consideration for a while, we are not deaf and blind.

“I think the events of the last couple of weeks demonstrated institutional failure, if you will.

“It was a systemic problem and not just one we thought could be corrected easily with the current personnel.

“You can’t not be disappointed after losing a manger after seven months but the board had to reach a decision which was in the best interests of the club in the long run and if a decision was going to be made it was better being made sooner rather than later.”

Johnston acknowledged the financial implications of changing the management team but claims they were outweighed by the need for a new face at the helm following a dismal start to the season.

However, he believes Caixinha has left a squad which needs minor alterations rather than a major overhaul.

He said: “There are financial implications but in the circumstances they had to be seconded, if you will, to the best interests of the club.

“My own view is that we have a better squad than people think and perhaps a new management team will get more out of them.

“A lot of Rangers fans thought the players we brought in during the summer were actually positive.

“I don’t think we have seen the best of them and I would like to think that the new management team will be able to get more out of them.

“In many ways that’s what Celtic did when they brought in Brendan Rodgers.

“They had good players but they brought in a guy who got more out of their players.

“They didn’t add too many players to their club but they got whole lot better results once they brought in Rodgers.”

Johnston was not involved in the recruitment of Caixinha but confirmed that Mark Allen, appointed director of football in the summer, will have a hands-on role in appointing the new boss.

He said: “Since we appointed Pedro we have got a director of football in place and he will obviously have a responsibility that we didn’t have before.

“The immediate plan is to go back to Graeme Murty which is the obvious thing to do at this stage while we evaluate the candidates and needless to say there will be a lot of people contacting us and there will be some people we will contact.

“Obviously you want to do this as soon as possible but obviously you want to get it right so I wouldn’t want to have any conjecture about the time frame.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/rangers-director-alastair-johnston-cites-institutional-failure-1-4597671

Hear, hear. Hope you still have contacts over there able and willing to invest.

Just to add if you are a manager sitting at home. Do you remain out of work thinking you are worth a million and waiting for a club to pay you that or do you get back into work for the half of it and wait from a working position? I doubt if there is any manager takes a job on thinking he is going to fail so most will fancy a shot at toppling the tims.

it better be a top quality manager who commands respect from the first second as that shower in the dressing room have now seen off 2 weaklings

We need a manager who can lead by example. Someone who has a track record of winning things or a least managed at the highest level (i.e. Allardyce)

Just to add if you are a manager sitting at home. Do you remain out of work thinking you are worth a million and waiting for a club to pay you that or do you get back into work for the half of it and wait from a working position? I doubt if there is any manager takes a job on thinking he is going to fail so most will fancy a shot at toppling the tims.

Ok I'm up for it :)

“I don’t think we have seen the best of them and I would like to think that the new management team will be able to get more out of them.

“They had good players but they brought in a guy who got more out of their players.

“They didn’t add too many players to their club but they got whole lot better results once they brought in Rodgers.”

Exactly what I said earlier in the thread. The management recruitment is more important than player recruitment.

Hopefully what AJ says above will be a pivotal element in the recruitment process.

I do think we have the makings of a decent team, but the manager simply couldn't get them performing.

Excellent news. This should have happened a while ago but hopefully we can start to now rebuild and rectify the mess we're in. My only concern is we end up with someone even worse like Big Eck. I shudder at the thought of that. I want something better than a run of the mill, mediocre Scottish manager like McInnes too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the name that sticks out out of the favourites is Big Sam. He's pretty much the antithesis of my footballing ideology and I've always been a critic of his, but compared to the competition he looks a terrific option. He'd have us strong at the back, fighting and I reckon it wouldn't take much for him to have us challenging Celtic again. He looks like a Walter option to me. Get him in for a couple of seasons and restore some self respect.

I want a Rangers side playing proper football and winning trophies. But after years of embarrassment I'll take just getting the basics right and playing winning football.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Exactly what I said earlier in the thread. The management recruitment is more important than player recruitment.

Hopefully what AJ says above will be a pivotal element in the recruitment process.

I do think we have the makings of a decent team, but the manager simply couldn't get them performing.

Who in our current team would you honestly say is good enough to be regularly playing for a club of our size?

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Who in our current team would you honestly say is good enough to be regularly playing for a club of our size?

Virtually no one. And that's not about to change unless funds are made available to improve the quality of our squad.

Excellent news. This should have happened a while ago but hopefully we can start to now rebuild and rectify the mess we're in. My only concern is we end up with someone even worse like Big Eck. I shudder at the thought of that. I want something better than a run of the mill, mediocre Scottish manager like McInnes too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the name that sticks out out of the favourites is Big Sam. He's pretty much the antithesis of my footballing ideology and I've always been a critic of his, but compared to the competition he looks a terrific option. He'd have us strong at the back, fighting and I reckon it wouldn't take much for him to have us challenging Celtic again. He looks like a Walter option to me. Get him in for a couple of seasons and restore some self respect.

I want a Rangers side playing proper football and winning trophies. But after years of embarrassment I'll take just getting the basics right and playing winning football.

We have no chance of landing someone like Allardyce without serious funds being made available