Alastair Johnston: Incoming Ibrox boss can bring out the best in Rangers...

To be honest, I'm probably not that critical of the board. It did seem a bit of a bizarre appointment but sometimes that's what you need to do if you want the chance of something special - especially when you're not going to be able to attract those with well established success.

On hindsight, having seen Caixinha in the interviews, you can see why he was so compelling to the job interviewers. He comes from a country that for its size are world leaders in football philosophy and did have some notable success in Mexico for not the biggest and richest side around. If nothing else he talks a good game, and sometimes his team plays a good game, just not often enough for a club like us.

I don't think going with a safe choice will get us close to Celtic, firstly as they have more money at the moment, and secondly Rogers seems to be far better than any of the safe choices available.

We needed someone more clever than Rogers and Pedro looked like he might be that guy.

Now I'm thinking we need someone like Rogers - who has been somewhat (however mildly) successful in a top league. I probably wouldn't personally want Moyes, but he's the type that fits that bill.

Frank De Boer and Michael Laudrup are the more exciting choices for me, but I'm not sure if we can get them - as while their reputations maybe need rebuilding, Rangers are a huge gamble as a vehicle for that. We can both make or break a manager's career.

Edited by calscot

some have obviously never read johnston’s thesis, my part in the murray glory years.

there’s an idea, lets have them all back murray will make it a full house for institutional failure,they do have a track record for it.

In Pedro's defence he did inherit an absolute car crash from both McCoist & MW. Bringing in an entirely new starting XI was always going to have its pitfalls

However question marks remain about some of his summer signings. Maybe the new boss will get the best out of the likes of both Pena and Herrera. Who knows?

Personally I think we let some better players go than we brought in.

To be honest, I'm probably not that critical of the board. It did seem a bit of a bizarre appointment but sometimes that's what you need to do if you want the chance of something special - especially when you're not going to be able to attract those with well established success.

On hindsight, having seen Caixinha in the interviews, you can see why he was so compelling to the job interviewers. He comes from a country that for its size are world leaders in football philosophy and did have some notable success in Mexico for not the biggest and richest side around. If nothing else he talks a good game, and sometimes his team plays a good game, just not often enough for a club like us.

I don't think going with a safe choice will get us close to Celtic, firstly as they have more money at the moment, and secondly Rogers seems to be far better than any of the safe choices available.

We needed someone more clever than Rogers and Pedro looked like he might be that guy.

Now I'm thinking we need someone like Rogers - who has been somewhat (however mildly) successful in a top league. I probably wouldn't personally want Moyes, but he's the type that fits that bill.

Frank De Boer and Michael Laudrup are the more exciting choices for me, but I'm not sure if we can get them - as while their reputations maybe need rebuilding, Rangers are a huge gamble as a vehicle for that. We can both make or break a manager's career.

I don't think it's necessarily the 'success', but rather the philosophy. Rodgers has a philosophy and is able to implement it. Any well-implemented philosophy will work wonders in this league, IMO.

I don't think it's necessarily the 'success', but rather the philosophy. Rodgers has a philosophy and is able to implement it. Any well-implemented philosophy will work wonders in this league, IMO.

As we have seen with Motherwell.

some have obviously never read johnston’s thesis, my part in the murray glory years.

there’s an idea, lets have them all back murray will make it a full house for institutional failure,they do have a track record for it.

fuck sake pal......how could you bring yourself to read stuff like that

you seriously need your hole !

ah so you were kiddin' on then !

it's just that most of your stuff is poisonous shite and I thought this was more of the same

my bad....as dudes say these days

Why would I be kiddin’ on, johnston/pm/king all had silent parts in the robber baron’s glory years as he destroyed us by spending money we didn’t have, Kiddin’ on would be great if I was and people want to repeat the fiasco.

Can’t say Mr Ranger’s pools didn’t warn us.