Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Why is McLeish the sudden leader? He cant get a job in england after Egypt, Belguim, Villa and Forest....why would that equate to be all of a sudden the Rangers job. He left a long time ago. He is an impact manager. Yet he would probably bring in McCulloch and my Baw as assistants. They will kill most of the squad.

Why is Michael Laudrup or Frank de Boer not being pursued. The later was never a match for a dog eat dog team like Palace and he was stupid to go there.

Laudrup or De Boer for me.

My concern with Frank de Boer, is that he would be in a similar position to when he joined Crystal Palace in the sense that those players are used to playing in a certain way. Are they comfortable, or able, to play possession based football? His advantages are that Holland would probably have a similar league set up in that Ajax and PSV are the dominant teams, with Feyenoord being an occasional disrupter. He has played for Rangers, knows what the club is about and was a world class player, so would instantly command respect. Lots of positives, but as I say, the existing group of players would possibly struggle with implementing the Dutch football style and unless we are going to throw money at recruitment in the next transfer window (seems unlikely), the struggles could continue.

My concern with Frank de Boer, is that he would be in a similar position to when he joined Crystal Palace in the sense that those players are used to playing in a certain way. Are they comfortable, or able, to play possession based football? His advantages are that Holland would probably have a similar league set up in that Ajax and PSV are the dominant teams, with Feyenoord being an occasional disrupter. He has played for Rangers, knows what the club is about and was a world class player, so would instantly command respect. Lots of positives, but as I say, the existing group of players would possibly struggle with implementing the Dutch football style and unless we are going to throw money at recruitment in the next transfer window (seems unlikely), the struggles could continue.

Indeed. We either need a more pragmatic manager or a lot more money and patience.

Billy Dodds has claimed “rudderless” Rangers lack quality and mental strength after watching his former club fall to Friday’s dismal 2-1 defeat at Dundee.

The loss was the Ibrox club’s fourth of the campaign – and second on the spin – and they now find themselves nine points behind Premiership leaders Celtic having played one game more.

Graeme Murty has been in interim charge since Pedro Caixinha was sacked at the end of October and Dodds sees no reason why Celtic won’t widen the gap between the teams.

Speaking about his former club and their Dens Park defeat Dodds said: “It is rudderless, you can see it – they lack the mental strength to do something about it.

“You could see Rangers never had that mental strength to change it after losing the second goal.

“Once Dundee made themselves hard to be beat and compact Rangers never had that quality to say, ‘I’m going to get on the ball.’

“They’re not good enough, lets cut to the chase – they are not good enough players to go and break down teams. Having played for Rangers, you know what it takes to get there.

“You are going to get beaten sometimes but you do it in the right manner.

“You might not be playing well but you keep going. The fans need to see there is quality there, there is desire, it’s going to change and their is a mental strength.

“But they went out with a whimper against Dundee.”

With Celtic going from strength to strength Dodds added: “In terms of trying to bridge that gap and getting some stability, Rangers are actually going back the way.

“Rangers are going back and Celtic are going forward, so it’s growing all the time.”

Every man and his dog will give an "expert" opinion on us, essentially an echo of what has been muttered umpteen times before. And will get money for it. It must be really easy in this day and age to sustain yourself as a journo or media pundit in Scotland ...

Dodds in a "negative article about Rangers" shocker. :rolleyes:

but....what he's saying is true!!!

Who was the last player who actively though "I'm going to get on the ball" and actually did something with it???

Over the past few years (not just current players), we have seen all too often, players appear scared to receive the ball & be productive - we should change the team name to Cinderella FC.

I watched the 2 PSG demolitions of "them", and the one thing that struck me was the PSG players were confident receiving the ball, regardless of the situation...they were actively looking for it even though there were opposing players round about. IF they lost it, they fought to get it back. Barcelona a few years ago were exactly the same, and dominated games. I'm also not talking about any fancy trickery here either....they would simply receive the ball, protect it (if required) then allow other players to move into improved positions. A simple pass then made to a team mate. Soooooo simple, yet effective. For far to long, we have struggled with performing the basics - short passes to a team mate, then move position.

I mentioned in another post about simplifying the team/game....I still think that is what is required. Let defenders, defend...strikers score....wingers, run the touchlines....midfield, distributes. Players should be 100% clear about the role required of them, passes & movement should be basic, simple....move the ball about quickly & accurately. It's not rocket science or Grand Master levels of Chess...it's Football.