Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Whether the board have made a mess of it or not all depends on how the team fare until the New Year and who (if anyone) we bring in in January.

That's it.

They very definitely have made a mess of it and a run of decent results under Murty won’t change that.

The problem isn't Derek McInnes. It never was. The problem is Rangers drifting without a manager, the apparent lack of credible candidates and a board that seems to take forever to get precisely nowhere. If he isn't joining Rangers, I don't give a shit about Derek McInnes. I do care about the endless mire of incompetence that seems to prevent us ever climbing out of this mess.

The Club is not 'drifting': there is a Director of Football in situ, together with associated and ancillary staff; the 1st XI is under the guidance of a qualified coach, and has just put Mcinnes' Aberdeen to the sword, twice within 5 days.

What is needed is for the Club to appoint a 1st team coach.

The problem is that the Board, after some time and deliberation, considerable, perhaps, in football terms, elected to offer the post to a guy who did not have the fortitude to accept it, a man who, nonetheless, according to press, pundits, former players, 'fitba' men', and even posters on here, was just the chap for the job, a fellow for whom there was no 'realistic' alternative.

It seems quite clear that the 'structure' of the Club, with a DofF/Football dDept, a Football Board, and a main Board has not operated with machine like efficiency. I should like to put this down to 'shaking out ', coupled with uncertainty generated by the unsuccessful appointment of Pedro C and Co., and, perhaps, the fact that none of the Football and main Boards, excepting, presumably, the CEO, have actually operated a football club, hands on, before.. (The CEO emerges from the process covered in anything but glory, I would say.)

Let us hope that they learn from experience

McInnes' refusal is a bullet dodged, a +ve which we may take out of the process.

Edited by Uilleam

They very definitely have made a mess of it and a run of decent results under Murty won’t change that.

I agree to an extent. However, if we stay 2nd and get a good manager in in January, it'll improve the mood around the place.

From the outside, it would appear as if the board haven't got on top of the issues that caused the last 18 months of developing omnishambles.

For me, they appeared to be admitting to 'institutional failure' when AJ gave a press briefing and hopefully looking to turn a corner with a developing football operation (eg. scouting), a new Director of Comms & Marketing to be appointed and a new first team manager.

I didn't have a problem with the time taken to get McInnes, (given we actually got a net benefit in terms of the 2nd place).... had he been appointed this week.

However, what the Rangers statement does, is show up the flaws in their management and present pundits with a Xmas hamper worth of material that enables them to criticise and poke further fun at the club.

The other thing it does is show potential managers and their agents a very negative vision of how potential employers react against a perceived 'slight' or setback, ie. attempt to throw X under a bus.

-----------------

Given circumstances and especially levels of expectation that heavily outweigh resources, it was extremely difficult to attract a proven and decent manager. It now becomes more difficult and if we lose a game or two, we might have to take whoever Santa throws down the chimney.

But that would still be tapping up.

Let's not be naive. Tapping up - rightly or wrongly - happens across the sport at every single level.

Just to be clear I'm reasonably happy we've not got McInnes as he's never totally convinced me as a coach but I'm quite frankly stunned at the way we've approached this. My post last night about how even this board must have a wish-list of candidates even seemed too optimistic.

How on God's earth do we not have a new manager ready to go?

Let's not be naive. Tapping up - rightly or wrongly - happens across the sport at every single level.

Just to be clear I'm reasonably happy we've not got McInnes as he's never totally convinced me as a coach but I'm quite frankly stunned at the way we've approached this. My post last night about how even this board must have a wish-list of candidates even seemed too optimistic.

How on God's earth do we not have a new manager ready to go?

I don't think that what would generally be considered as decent candidates, want the job.

I think that the circumstances currently around the job (especially expectation levels relative to resources) mean that it's increasingly viewed as a poisoned chalice.

-------------

Theresa May (Murty).. /.. Tory party (Rangers).. /.. Brexit.. (current financial gap to celtic)...

Decent candidates "not at the moment, thanks"

Leaves the likes of Boris 'clown' Johnson with hope

Edited by buster.

Lifted from FF:

Derek McInnes turned down Rangers because he couldn't ruin Dons legacy for a club that didn't make him feel wanted

Record Sport can reveal the key factors behind McInnes' bombshell decision to snub a return to Ibrox.

BY KEITH JACKSON

06:00, 8 DEC 2017UPDATED07:36, 8 DEC 2017

Derek McInnes turned down a dream return to Rangers because he couldn’t bring himself to wreck his legacy at Aberdeen for a club that didn’t make him feel wanted enough.

Record Sport broke the news on Wednesday that McInnes was facing an agonising decision after being told by Dons chairman Stewart Milne he would have to hand in his resignation to have the chance to open signing talks with the club he supported as a boy.

Yesterday McInnes dropped a bombshell on Ibrox when he informed Dave King’s regime he’ll be staying in the north east – after spending two days soul searching.

Now we can reveal the key factors behind the decision. Although hugely attracted to the notion of becoming only the 17th man to manage Rangers – which would have allowed him to return to the family home in Renfrewshire – McInnes was at no point convinced he had the complete faith of an indecisive Ibrox board.

Derek McInnes was right to snub Rangers and he realises the grass isn't always greener on the other side - Duncan Shearer

The six-week wait for an official approach to be made to Aberdeen did little to give him confidence that the Rangers regime were truly united in their desire to make him their man.

And ultimately the 46-year-old was not prepared to take such a risk with his reputation if it also meant destroying the status and working relationships he has forged over his four-and-a-half years as Aberdeen boss.

The close friendship and mutual respect between McInnes and Milne was at the heart of the manager’s decision.

Where now for Rangers? The runners and riders as Ibrox side miss out on Derek McInnes

When Milne made it clear he was unwilling to grant the move his blessing – and that McInnes would have to rip up his contract to pursue a return to Ibrox – the ex-Rangers player was boxed into a corner.

McInnes and assistant Tony Docherty stayed away from training on Wednesday and Thursday as the Dons team prepared for tonight’s trip to Dundee without them – and he deliberated over his predicament.

McInnes concluded yesterday afternoon he was not prepared to sign a letter of resignation and force his way out of Pittodrie under such a massive dark cloud.

Rangers directors look clueless and their failure to land Derek McInnes is embarrassing slams Derek Ferguson

A close source said: “This has been an agonising few days and weeks for Derek and he has not reached this decision lightly. He knows the chance to manage Rangers might never come again and that’s something he’ll have to live with.

“But what he was not prepared to do was leave Aberdeen in a manner which would have resulted in so much bad blood – and certainly not when he was never truly convinced as to the depth of Rangers’ desire to appoint him.

“He knows he is wanted and appreciated at Pittodrie and that’s a huge thing for any manager. It would have been a very messy way for things to come to an end if he had to resign. In the end he was not willing to do that.

“That says a great deal about his passion for the club but it also says much about the way the Rangers board have handled the entire business.”

It’s anticipated McInnes will have his say in public following tonight’s clash at Dens Park. But yesterday afternoon Aberdeen chairman Milne said: “Rangers made an approach on Tuesday evening and were refused permission to speak with Derek.

“I spoke with Derek who felt it was a major thing to be considered for the managerial position at a club such as Rangers and we agreed he could have some time to think about the approach and talk it through with his family.

“Over the past 48 hours I have been in constant dialogue with Derek and having weighed up the opportunity, he has taken the decision to remain as Aberdeen manager.

“Derek appreciates all that he has at this club and feels he wants to keep driving the club forward. This is where he wants to be and he feels he very much has unfinished business with Aberdeen.”

McInnes added: “I’ve had a lot to consider over the last couple of days and I appreciate it’s been a testing time for everyone, including my family, and I’m pleased to be now totally focusing on purely on-the-field matters.”