Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

I'd back bringing Tommy Wright in. Seems a good guy, he knows the Scottish game well and will know what Rangers FC is all about.

You'd hope for better really but given the McInnes fiasco and the lack of exciting options, he's a more than satisfactory option.

I heard it is Allen that feels he is being prevented from doing what they employed him to do.

The Board seem reluctant to accept his recommendations and are acting as if they do not have a DOF in place and continue to take decisions as in days before his arrival eg vetoing his choices for a manager and instead going after McInnes who Allen thought was unsuited to role on new set up ..

If true it kind of defeats us having a DOF in first place.

If true then Allen's salary is wasted. As is his talents.

Someone said to me today its going to be Tommy Wright , do you think he could do a job for the club.

No thanks. But I guess that is where we are.

And yet you would rethink your ST over McLaren ??? I would rethink my ST over Wright more than I would McLaren !

No thanks. But I guess that is where we are.

And yet you would rethink your ST over McLaren ??? I would rethink my ST over Wright more than I would McLaren !

I don't think it was compo who posted that comment, but you're right. McClaren may have his detractors but there's no doubt there's a decent coach there. In what world is Tommy Wright considered a better coach than McClaren, looking at their careers? I don't get it?

Moreover, If Allen is recommending him then surely we must take it seriously? That's his job to know these things.

Edited by Rousseau

I suspect the board did take it seriously, and may well still be taking McLaren seriously. However I suspect his wage demands are well above what we'd be looking to pay and he's currently working at Maccabi Tel Aviv so there will be compensation to pay. He's 56, he's never managed or played in Scotland, he has no previous connection with Rangers, he's had as many failures as successes in his career and indeed hasn't had any genuine success since his time at Twente which ended in 2010. A seven year losing streak does tarnish his reputation somewhat. I agree he seems to be well regarded in footballing circles but he's a gamble, a bigger gamble that McInnes and arguably a bigger gamble than Tommy Wright too. So I can see why the board are reticent. It's their money we're spending after all, if it was mine I'm not sure I'd be gambling it on Steve McLaren to turn our fortunes around.

i think (although stand to be corrected) that SMcL is at Tel Aviv on a consultancy basis, so compensation may not be a substantial issue.

Whether he still has it, I don't know, and we will only find out if he is appointed. I wonder if he would accept a consultancy at Auchenhowie.

Tommy Wright, for all his qualities and worth, would be a step back to the pre-Holmes, pre-Sounness era, I'm afraid. (As was the McInnes pursuit, largely.)

Edited by Uilleam

I suspect the board did take it seriously, and may well still be taking McLaren seriously. However I suspect his wage demands are well above what we'd be looking to pay and he's currently working at Maccabi Tel Aviv so there will be compensation to pay. He's 56, he's never managed or played in Scotland, he has no previous connection with Rangers, he's had as many failures as successes in his career and indeed hasn't had any genuine success since his time at Twente which ended in 2010. A seven year losing streak does tarnish his reputation somewhat. I agree he seems to be well regarded in footballing circles but he's a gamble, a bigger gamble that McInnes and arguably a bigger gamble than Tommy Wright too. So I can see why the board are reticent. It's their money we're spending after all, if it was mine I'm not sure I'd be gambling it on Steve McLaren to turn our fortunes around.

Fascinating how we perceive things. McClaren -- who is by all accounts a 'better' coach than McInnes and most certainly Wright -- is perhaps a gamble. However, I don't understand how he can be spoken less of than Wright. He's just better: better coach, worked at a higher level, has experience of working with winners etc. The only down side is the dry spell, which does appear to be a long one. Is he the answer? I don't know. But if it's a choice between McClaren or Wright, that's no choice at all.

Edit: Actually, after checking, that dry spell appears to be 3 years, only 2 of which he was actually managing (he's currently in a consultancy role). It's still a significant dry spell, but you could argue it's not as bad as it is perceived to be.

Edited by Rousseau

Fascinating how we perceive things. McClaren -- who is by all accounts a 'better' coach than McInnes and most certainly Wright -- is perhaps a gamble. However, I don't understand how he can be spoken less of than Wright. He's just better: better coach, worked at a higher level, has experience of working with winners etc. The only down side is the dry spell, which does appear to be a long one. Is he the answer? I don't know. But if it's a choice between McClaren or Wright, that's no choice at all.

But could McLaren cope with the riddle wrapped in a enigma surrounded by a conundrum that is Scottish football?

To that I would respond two fold:

-what do they know of Scottish football, who only Scottish football know?

-the problem with 'newcomers' is not that they underestimate Oor Gemme, but that they overestimate it.